questions about power meters?

Bill K

Guru
Hi all,
I just noticed that Stages has a few power meters on closeout for about $200 off.
Sram Rival is selling for $400 which I think is a pretty good price (I just orderer one).
If interested, go to their site, click the "Store" button, then click "Closeout" to see the list.

Bill

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Hey guys. Has anyone tested Quarq dzero power meter on Vendetta or Silvio?
With aluminium cranks this power meter seams to be ideal for these who want short cranks (like me) and don't like pedal/hub PM.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Those are all brand-new just released I don't think anybody can actually even get them yet. the forged aluminum ones come in sizes down to 165.

For most of the sramm (who owns quarq) aluminum stuff outside of a apex is actually hollow example: rival and force aluminums were hollow and could not be tapped. somebody would have to get their hands on one or find out if they are hollow.

I really like the massive number of options they are offering. That is promising.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Those are all brand-new just released I don't think anybody can actually even get them yet. the forged aluminum ones come in sizes down to 165.

For most of the sramm (who owns quarq) aluminum stuff outside of a apex is actually hollow example: rival and force aluminums were hollow and could not be tapped. somebody would have to get their hands on one or find out if they are hollow.

I really like the massive number of options they are offering. That is promising.
Aluminium cranks for DZero looks on pictures pretty same as Rival 22 cranks. And crank arm profile seams to be same on DZero aluminium, Rival 22 and Apex. Apex is easy to shorten. So I think that it would be possible to shorten it. Or I can buy Rival 22 crankset or DZero crank arm and try to shorten it. I have very skillfull friend :)
Btw. I have seen shortened Rotor 3D hollow cranks. Insert is necessary but it is possible.
Other question is if anyone tested any Quarq PM on Vendetta or Silvio.

ratz

Aluminium cranks for DZero looks on pictures pretty same as Rival 22 cranks. And crank arm profile seams to be same on DZero aluminium, Rival 22 and Apex. Apex is easy to shorten. So I think that it would be possible to shorten it. Or I can buy Rival 22 crankset or DZero crank arm and try to shorten it. I have very skillfull friend :)
Btw. I have seen shortened Rotor 3D hollow cranks. Insert is necessary but it is possible.
Other question is if anyone tested any Quarq PM on Vendetta or Silvio.

Would be great to get that answered. I have seen Aluminum Rival's drilled they are definitely hollow and and don't work, APEX there is are some tricks; for example if you want 155mm you have to special order 180mm. 153mm and shorter you can start with a 175mm (or something like that). Looking at the DZero it looks to have hollowed out back same as the apex but little deeper and longer. The idea to buy a DZero 175mm crank arm would seem to be the best option. Then measure how short you can go

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Would be great to get that answered. I have seen Aluminum Rival's drilled they are definitely hollow and and don't work, APEX there is are some tricks; for example if you want 155mm you have to special order 180mm. 153mm and shorter you can start with a 175mm (or something like that). Looking at the DZero it looks to have hollowed out back same as the apex but little deeper and longer. The idea to buy a DZero 175mm crank arm would seem to be the best option. Then measure how short you can go
We are probably meaning different things when writing term hollow crank. I mean cranks with internal cavity like Rotors trinity drilling or carbon fibre cranks. Is there any internal cavity on Rival or do you just mean groove on the back siade of cranks?
My Apex cranks shortened from 175 to 150 mm was without any problem. Except of integrated axle, square taper cranks are easier to shorten.
Groove of DZero cranks really looks deeper and longer than on Apex :( That is not good new for me. My idea was to switch from PowerTap hub to some spider based PM. I would like to be able to swicth wheels sizes and thus I need disc brakes. Little dificulty is that I need BLE suppert in PM. New Power2Max is not cheap and also Rotor cranks that may be shortened are not cheap. So Quarq DZero was hope for me to be much cheaper than P2M.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
We are probably meaning different things when writing term hollow crank. I mean cranks with internal cavity like Rotors trinity drilling or carbon fibre cranks. Is there any internal cavity on Rival or do you just mean groove on the back siade of cranks?
My Apex cranks shortened from 175 to 150 mm was without any problem. Except of integrated axle, square taper cranks are easier to shorten.
Rivals actually have a hollow chamber on the inside.
I did actually shorten a set (of Rivals to 140mm) and it was not too bad, there was still enough metal on both sides to thread the pedal through.
I wouldn't let Mark Cavendish try and sprint with them, but for the power I have and use, I think they are still plenty strong enough. :D
That said - how much weight are you really saving using Rival instead of Apex (which are also generally less expensive) - so recommendation is to purchase and shorten the Apex solid cranks.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
After few e-mails with Czech distributor of Quarq I realised that there is no way to buy DZero spider and cranks as alone parts. There is Prime program with DZero compatible cranks but it is intended only for bike manufacturers. So there isn't any safe way to have DZero with shortened cranks. I will not buy PM with high probability making it useless.

That said - how much weight are you really saving using Rival instead of Apex (which are also generally less expensive) - so recommendation is to purchase and shorten the Apex solid cranks.
I have shortened Apex. My idea was that Quarq aluminium cranks looks pretty same as Rival 22. I am considering how to get Quarq DZero working for me.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
So after some more research I realised that power2max NG would be probably compatible with Vendettas BB and it is possible to buy it with cheap cranks FSA Gossamer Megaexo what seams that may be shortened. So I see way to have shortened craks with spider based PM ;)

Layne

I have the powertap p1s which is the set that has the pedal with a sensor on the left side only, similar to the way stages does .. they run in the $700 dollar range .. you can get stages cheaper but i ride my V with 155 mm cranks and my df with 170. its very simple to move from one bike to the other just like regular pedals no fuss, works very well !

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I have the powertap p1s which is the set that has the pedal with a sensor on the left side only, similar to the way stages does .. they run in the $700 dollar range .. you can get stages cheaper but i ride my V with 155 mm cranks and my df with 170. its very simple to move from one bike to the other just like regular pedals no fuss, works very well !
Thak you Layne for recomendation. I have PowerTap G3 hub now. I am looking for alternative which allow me to switch to disc brakes. Pedal based PM's are not option for me I use MTB style shoes and cleats.

Layne

Thak you Layne for recomendation. I have PowerTap G3 hub now. I am looking for alternative which allow me to switch to disc brakes. Pedal based PM's are not option for me I use MTB style shoes and cleats.

Why do you use mtb shoes and pedals ? For walking ? I would never trade my look type cleats for another type of pedal .. well maybe speed plays but only because I haven't tried them :) of course each to his own but it is interesting to try to understand some of these things from a different perspective:)

ratz

Why do you use mtb shoes and pedals ? For walking ? I would never trade my look type cleats for another type of pedal .. well maybe speed plays but only because I haven't tried them :) of course each to his own but it is interesting to try to understand some of these things from a different perspective:)

Snilard's got Knees that are road pedal incompatible....

It does look like WatTeam is closing in on a re-release and that's probably going to be the solution in this case. There's something else coming but it's a ways out and I'm not allow to talk about it yet. So if it's a solution for this coming Spring WatTeam is the one to watch.

Layne

It does look like WatTeam is closing in on a re-release and that's probably going to be the solution in this case. There's something else coming but it's a ways out and I'm not allow to talk about it yet. So if it's a solution for this coming Spring WatTeam is the one to watch.

Is watTeam crank based ?

super slim

Zen MBB Master
So after some more research I realised that power2max NG would be probably compatible with Vendettas BB and it is possible to buy it with cheap cranks FSA Gossamer Megaexo what seams that may be shortened. So I see way to have shortened craks with spider based PM ;)
I do not think that FSA Gossamer Megaexo has a splined spider that the Power2max uses!
http://www.power2max.de/europe/

Sorry, I saw it on the far right, with 6 bolts holding the splined spider, and this is the same price as the spider by its self!

Last edited:

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Yes, mainly for walking.

Real situation is that I don't know what pedals my knees like and what does not. My physical terapeutist recommended me to go back to SPD because it can hold my heal out more than Frogs. I am riding it on turbo now do I cannot say if it is better.

Last message from WattTeam what I have read was that non-hollow cranks like my Apex are not supported.

I have started using Pedal Innovations Catalyst pedal. It does as advertised. By using a mid foot position it gives more power and stability. This causes less knee pain. I can spin as fast on theses pedals as with my SPD's. They are a flat pedal and do not require cleats. I did have to add pedal extenders as my natural position has my feet hitting the chain stays. This was happening with the SPD pedals as well. You can buy the Catalyst pedals and try them for 30 days and return them if you are not happy with them. I also tried using MTB pedals and as I had to turn the cleats so that my heels were facing out to avoid hitting the chain stays. It does require a little change in your pedaling style. I have mastered in two weeks.