Questions re: Silvio from a stickbike/lowracer rider

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
What Larry saw is about what I see on the Silvio, and Quest for that matter; versus the Vendetta. For pure push power I can get more peak power from a closed hip angle on the Silvio and Quest Set to 27 degrees and 42 degree respectively. The absolute best power I can push and hold for 30 minutes is on the Silvio on the mag trainer at 60 rpm max gear. At the Vendetta angle I can't match it nor can I hold it that long. This is also confirmed when I measure all three bikes on the power meter and the KICKR power trainer.

Now out on the road; the Vendetta simply wins because it gets more power to the road because of the utlra stiff frame; and the better aero means that the power makes you go faster. If I take out all three bikes and push around 150 watts; I will get about 15-16 on the Quest, 17-18 on the Silvio and 19-20 on the Vendetta.

So watt for watt the Vendetta is the go fast bike; you can always sit up if you need more power.

DuncanWatson

Duncan,
I hear TTurner has already volunteered my bike(s) for a test ride. :)
My Silvio is a good start, to get used to the platform but you'll have to ride the Vendetta to get close to the same feel as the S30.

Shoot me a note and I'll meet you somewhere with the bikes. In fact - 2 weeks from this Saturday I plan to meet Tim for the Snohomish shop ride on Sat AM. I could bring both bikes with me then and we could do something with them after the ride if you like? Probably going out on that group ride would be too much too soon.

Lief
I will shoot you a note. I am pretty out of shape right now but I am interested in seeing how the MBB makes a difference. One of my issues is that none of my current bikes works well for transport. That is why I am interested in the Silvio V30 vs Vendetta V20, I want the shorter wheelbase.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Good idea Rick.
Per Assault on Mount Mitchell ride. I believe Jim and Maria Parker are going to be there as well as Ben Tomlin and hopefully Charlie Ollinger will also make it down.
That might make a Gaggle of Vendetta's (5 minimum required for Gaggle I think!) :D

Jeremy S

Dude
    • Ease of short distance transport (inside a hatchback)
Hi Duncan, I don't know what kind of hatchback you have but I gave up on fitting my Silvio 2.0 into my 2004 Prius hatch, at least with just the back wheel removed. I could just barely fit my old Sofrider v2, but between the slightly larger wheels and wide flared handlebars on the Silvio, I can't make it go in. Perhaps it would work with the front drive wheel removed but that's too much inconvenience for me, I'd rather just ride from home.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
FWIW - I've twice put the Vendetta 2.0 into the hatchback of a Prius 2008(?) from Uber.
Only removed the rear wheel.
Once when I completely munged up the front wheel on a BIG A%% rock and the 2nd when I flatted for the 3-4-5th time - hadda get to work.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Silvio in rear of Hyundai i30.jpg

I can fit a Silvio V1.0 in the back of a Hyundai i30 with just removing the rear wheel, with the passenger seat forward, and if I fold up the rear pannier rack, then the passenger seat does not need to be pushed forward.

DuncanWatson

Excellent. I drive a Ford Focus hatchback and have about 59-61" of room to work in. A Hyundai is a good comparator. I am glad to hear the V20 also works. I am getting pretty excited. I have work to do on this weekend on bikes to sell. No N+1 allowed in this household any longer.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Duncan, we can see how well/if the Vendetta fits into your car too - if it's an important part of the "test ride". :)
Don't think the Silvio 1.0 is a fair comparison - wheelbase aside.

ratz

Just for perspective We don't' even try any more; just had a $150 hitch put on and got a Saris Freedom Superclamp rack which works perfect with the Vendetta. Silvo, and Quest. A focus can easily carry two bikes on a hitch rack.

saris_freedom_superclamp_hitch_mount_bike_rack_hero.jpg

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Good point Ratz - with "standard" wheelbases the world of bike racks opens up immensely.
Far more transportable when compared to velo's and trikes etc...which is what Duncan is after methinks - they just take a bit more work to accommodate.

I recently got a SMOKING! deal on a Thule T2 rack (ahem $40 demo/floor model at REI Garage Sale!!)
http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produ...bike-carriers/thule-t2-2-bike-916xtr-_-916xtr

Holds the Vendetta and my Silvio together quite nicely.

ratz

I recently got a SMOKING! deal on a Thule T2 rack (ahem $40 demo/floor model at REI Garage Sale!!)

Nice the was the other rack we considered. Got our Saris on sale and went with it since it handles the Quest 20" and the Vendetta / Silvio. Sadly we have a 4 bike and a 2 bike; which means we can "almost" take enough bikes for everyone. :mad:

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Bob is there any clashing of seat pans, when using the saris rack, as with my standard Cross bar clamping 3 bike rack, I can only fit my Silvio V1.0 (with its FIXED seatpan) and one other bike.

The boot space in my i30 is 1.45 m (57") long * 1.05 m wide between the rear wheel arches(which is important as you need to twist the frame to fit past) and 0.7 m high.
When I was looking for a new car in 2010, the Focus boot space was 1.58 (62") * 1.05 *0.65, so 130 mm (5") longer, but 50 mm shallower, and BOTH boots were wider than the 1982 Accord at 0.88 m between wheel arches, which the Silvio could NOT fit past without the front wheel removed!!

Silvio on bike rack no back wheel.jpg

ratz

David,

They work well, because the bikes alternate directions and the curved parts line up and they don't hit. The one problem we have is on the 4 bike rack if we load it with all quests there is some handle-bar interference between bike 1 and 3 and bike 2 and 4. I have to loosen one and that solves it. No such problem on the 2 bike model. If they did hit I'd probably just use foam pipe insulation as a bumper.

However for Really long trips of over 4-5 hours and the small car I do remove the seat pans as it drastically reduces the aero drag. behind the truck it's a non issue.

rackemdano3.jpg rackemdano.jpg rackemdan2.jpg

super slim

Zen MBB Master
The 4 Cruzbikes on the back of an Outback is impressive!!!
I was going to ask about the less steering wheels weight, but then a light switched on in my brain!!!
There are 4 riders IN the car to add weight!

In the Land of the Great OZ, we have to add a smaller rear car number plate to the bike rack, so the PURELY revenue making speed cameras, do not miss out on a possible external tax revenue!

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Bob, I'm going to give you a break, because I know these picture were taken last summer, and that you have cleaned up your garage by now. Eric, your turn! :D:D:D I hope Charles dose not doc you a star!:p

ratz

I have children to pick up the tools and put things away; finding enough chores for 5 kids means being creative. That was mid project of the initial install all tools where in use at the time and the box throw away crew was busy with a lemonade stand :p If you watch the rear light video the garage is still somewhat organized.Screen Shot 2015-04-15 at 1.35.25 PM.png

Last edited: