QX 100 rear shock upgrade

DavidJL

Been looking for an upgrade to the Kind 261 shock. An air shock with lockout for climbing hills would be great. Most all the shocks I have seen so far are much longer.

DavidJL

I guess that Kind is about all there is for shocks in the shorter lengths. Wasn't sure which one is best for the QX. Did notice that there were a couple of earlier threads about this. Would be great if Cruzbike offered this as an upgrade.

billyk

Guru
Another Kind upgrader here (discussed in an earlier thread). Yeah, it seems to be the only one available in 125mm. I have the RR1 with dual chambers. Works great. The ride quality is far better, mostly because it makes the bike feel stiffer. I have about 2500 miles on it and did not have to repump it until about 2000. My biggest worry was that being so cheap it wouldn't hold air turned out to be wrong; it does fine. You should get one.

DavidJL

Pulled the trigger and placed an order. Will definitely hang on to the original shock in case things go south.

Rampa

Guru
I would think a bit longer shock would make very little difference on a Q. Just increase the sag a little bit, and the bike will sit at the same height. It's not like a mountain bike frame where you'll have frame members colliding if the shock is to long.

And yes, you need a rear shock pump. They are very slender for high pressure, and have a special chuck that will disengage without letting the air escape.

DavidJL

Got me a shock pump. Came with about 100 psi in main cylinder. Took it up to 140 because I'm not light. The ride is great, and it's quite a bit lighter than the original. The next step would be to make an air shock that can be locked out for hill climbing.

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
Anyone locked out front and rear on a quest? I've locked front and considering rear with a piece of aluminum for more efficiency. I don't need suspension with 1.5's and I just wondered if anybody has gone this route

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
I thought about replacing the shock with a metal bar of some sort, but also thought any big bump may stress the frame where it swivels. My thought was that I would then need to be sure to use reduced tire pressure to do the shock absorption. But I did the steering mod first and then did not feel the need to do the "shock treatment".;)

Last edited:

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
I thought about replacing the shock with a metal bar of some sort, but also thought any big bump may stress the frame where it swivels. My thought was that I would then need to be sure to use reduced tire pressure to do the shock absorption. But I did the steering mod first and then did not feel the need to do the "shock treatment".;)
So far I like front lockout. I used a piece of PVC pipe slit and slipped over over fork slider. The front shock isn't that great anyway

super slim

Zen MBB Master
A simpler way to reduced rear suspension movement is just to increase the spring preload, so there is no movement when you sit on the bike.
Use a pair of multigrips on the steel ring at the bottom of the rubber sleeves, to rotate it clockwise when looking upwards.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
For my suspension/no suspension experiments, I used a 1" hardwood dowel in place of the rear damper.
This was surprisingly durable!
Naturally, I checked it before every ride and after every ride, since the holes for the mounting bolts
were just raw holes drilled through the dowel... but it held up nicely and it is still in the parts bin.

If I were to make this modification permanent, I'd install bushings in the dowel for the mounting bolts
and paint the wood.

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
Already used pliers and now it only moves when I slam pretty hard. It's probably about right but like to experiment