QX100 Headset Adjustment

yuly

Hi everybody,

So I got my new QX100 and went on a 40 km ride which was fun :) however I do have several issues/questions I would like to consult you guys here:
1. The headset started to have some slight movement (rocking) and I wanted to adjust the preload on the headset bearing but I'm a bit confused on how to do it - the QX100 has the First BI3 headset but I also saw a star nut at the top of the riser - so I was wondering if it is similar to the Diatech adjusting procedure - or is it possible to get like a dummies check list on how to adjust the headset tension?
2. I also ordered the Cruzbike bottle cages - which are cool - however they only came with 2 screws (which are too long and would scrape the bottle) and only one nut so I can't fix it to the back of the chair without the second nut - am I missing something here?

Overall, from just a 40 km ride, the QX100 seems to be a nice bike for touring/commuting and daily exercising.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
The headset is adjusted at the top of the headtube - not at the star nut. The ky is that the adjuster needs to have the very small set screw loosened. It can be seen looking down at the top of the adjuster.

Robert

DavidJL

After doing my steering mod, I was able to replace the top half of the headset with a more conventional top cap adjusting headset. I had had some difficulty keeping the BI-3 in adjustment.

yuly

Thank you guys, so of I got it right, I need to loosen the aft clamp, lift it a bit so I could see the set screw, loosen the set screw a bit, apply down pressure on the whole steering sysyem and then retightrn the set screw and the clamp?

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
There is also a 4mm allen bolt on the side of the clamp. You dont really need to loosen the riser, just the very small 1.5mm allen at the top, then the 4mm allen on the side (it might be painted white) and then the unit will expand as it is threaded on the inside. Then just retighten the two allens.

Robert

yuly

Thanks Robert, I'll give it a shot - won't loosen anything except for the small set screw and the 4mm white allen then apply pressure and re tighten them both - the small set screw first and then the 4mm allen - or should it be reversed (if it matters at all)?

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Thanks Robert, I'll give it a shot - won't loosen anything except for the small set screw and the 4mm white allen then apply pressure and re tighten them both - the small set screw first and then the 4mm allen - or should it be reversed (if it matters at all)?
bump.
I received a used QX100 with a slightly loose headset bearings.
@Robert Holler can you confirm @yuly procedure above?