QX100 or Sofrider 2

I'm a long time recumbent rider and am seriously considering a Cruz bike. Would I be better off buying a new QX100 or a good used S2. Have there been significant upgrades in performance & handling in this newer model? I'm sure some of you have ridden/owned both bikes and have an opinion. Thanks for your input.

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
What are your goals?

The X100 is an all around utility and touring recumbent bike with options for rack and that has adjustable seat (forward and back and seat angle), adjustable boom that allows it to fit different leg lengths, allows larger tire widths, suspension on rear, disc brakes. I use my X for commuting to work and day touring trips.

I don't have a a Sylvio, but it is more aero and as such will be faster than the X. The Vendetta would be faster than the Sylvio.

Jeremy S

Dude
If you can afford it, I would definitely go with a new Q over a used Sofrider. I had a Sofrider v2. It was heavy, bulky, and the tuning of the front derrailleur was never right after many visits to my local bike shop. I'm sure the QX100 is an improvement.

Last edited:
If you can afford it, I would definitey go with a new Q over a used Sofrider. I had a Sofrider v2. It was heavy, bulky, and the tuning of the front derrailleur was never right after many visits to my local bike shop. I'm sure the QX100 is an improvement.

I recently purchased an excellent condition used Softrider V2, including a Cateye Velo 8, and I paid less than 23% of what a new Q100 costs. It was a no brainer. Regardless of its improvements, the Q100 cannot beat this value. If one is patient, there are very good deals out there to be had on a Softrider V2.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Also add an Manitou Radium R 165 mm length 38mm stroke rear air shocker $150, to stop pogo bumps when going over manhole covers!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
There should be an O ring on the shocker shaft.
Dump all air in the shocker, and Before you sit on the bike, push the O ring up to the body, then gently sit on the bike, get off the bike, and measure the maximum movement and should be 38 mm.
Make certain that the rear wheel does not hit the rear rack if fitted.

Pump the shocker to your weight in lbs as PSI using a air shocker pump, with a screw on connection, so minimal air pressure is lost from the shocker, when removing the pump.
http://cruzbike.com/DOWNLOADS/KindShockPumpOperation.pdf

Before you sit on the bike, push the O ring up to the body, then gently sit on the bike, get off the bike, and measure movement.
This should be 20% of the max. movement, approx 7.6 mm.
If not, adjust the shocker pressure until it is.

Then go for a ride on your normal track, and check if the max movement is about 95%.

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/fox-rear-shock-pressure-132479.html

Last edited:
There should be an O ring on the shocker shaft.
Dump all air in the shocker, and Before you sit on the bike, push the O ring up to the body, then gently sit on the bike, get off the bike, and measure the maximum movement and should be 38 mm.
Make certain that the rear wheel does not hit the rear rack if fitted.

Pump the shocker to your weight in lbs as PSI using a air shocker pump, with a screw on connection, so minimal air pressure is lost from the shocker, when removing the pump.
http://cruzbike.com/DOWNLOADS/KindShockPumpOperation.pdf

Before you sit on the bike, push the O ring up to the body, then gently sit on the bike, get off the bike, and measure movement.
This should be 20% of the max. movement, approx 7.6 mm.
If not, adjust the shocker pressure until it is.

Then go for a ride on your normal track, and check if the max movement is about 95%.

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/fox-rear-shock-pressure-132479.html

Thank you for your valuable info.

I have been riding my SR2 for just under a month now and have been shocked that I can hit 20mph (with Schwalbe Kojak tires and an accurate Cateye speedo on it) and there is more left to go faster. I ride on a paved railtrail and on a titanium DF road bike that weighs just under 18 lbs. I had to work really hard to hit that speed. My only explanation for the SR2 is that I am in a more aero position than in the DF and that is making the difference. If I can do that on an SR2, I can imagine I can do much better on an S30.