QX100 Steering Mod

Rampa

Guru
It does improve the ergonomics for a more laid-back position. My instinct would be to move the entire seat back a little further if it can stay at the same angle. Then bring the cranks up a little higher. Of course, that's just my thinking based on what I'm used to. Totally personal preference. I'd probably run a "1-by" or IGH drivetrain, and skip the front derailleur.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
It does improve the ergonomics for a more laid-back position. My instinct would be to move the entire seat back a little further if it can stay at the same angle. Then bring the cranks up a little higher. Of course, that's just my thinking based on what I'm used to. Totally personal preference. I'd probably run a "1-by" or IGH drivetrain, and skip the front derailleur.

As you know, when you change one thing on your bike it affects the whole system.
In other words, move the seat back and the handlebar will need adjusting which will change the angle between the chain stay and the TFT which will, in turn,
require you to adjust the front derailleur. Now, with everything adjusted and working together, you find that the center of gravity has moved which makes the
bike handle differently!

This may be why you're thinking of skipping the front derailleur!
If you do go with an IGH drivetrain, think about installing chainguards or something up front... to keep the chain under control when the front end gets to jumping around on bumpy roads.
When I installed my triple rings, I rode it without a front derailleur for a month or so and learned to ride on the smoothest part of the routes I rode.
The chain jumped off quite a few times before I bought a front der. and installed it.

Rampa, you are having too much fun, I can tell!

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
After taking pics yesterday and detailing where my project was at, I took a test ride and it felt ok, but my Fosters shim was not keeping the handlebars in place when powering up. Tried making some adjustments and using other materials but no successful shimming going on here. So not having suitable shim making material on hand i shimmied online to make an order.

The setup as pictured yesterday is an estimation of where I wanted to start my test, with the seat a little more reclined than i had previously and handlebars giving me a little room and it seemed to do that while basically coasting. Just hoping for a little more full body power when needed for uphills when touring under load or giving a good CB showing going up South Mountain here in Phoenix.

Now in wait mode until da shim arrive!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Is the Handle Bar sliding tube 31.8 mm (1.25") on the QX100, as on the Quest V1.0 it is only 27.2 mm(1 1/16" )

The bottom bracket tube is 35.0 mm OD for 230 mm length, then drops to 31.9 mm OD for the last 120 mm

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
On both my Quest 3 and X100 the 'handlebar slider' tube is about 1.25 inch OD.

The 'bottom bracket tube' boom is about 1.375 inch OD (1 + 3/8), and 1.25 inch ID (1 + 2/8). The boom length being about 13.5 inches in length.

I say 'about' because all measurements are taken using calipers bought at small local hardware store so have limited resolution as I found out when needing to sand the tubing bought to replace the X100 stock slider tube to get it to fit into the boom. See my March 7 posting for more info regarding telescoping tubes.

Last edited:

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
tmp_14986-Prototype32002688661.jpeg

I added headrest, tried to bring up the bottom bracket maybe a little by loosening all bolts including down by the front wheel axel (where a stay extender would be added to bring up the bottom bracket) and pulling it up. Maybe it's up a little, can't really tell. Tightened everything up and took her for a test ride.

Felt OK, did some slow figure 8s, tighter 8s, then slightly faster for about 15 min. Balance feels different, a little less responsive. But that may because I'm not used to the lower center of gravity and/or different weight distribution on front/back tires - I'm sure weight distribution is different since I'm laid back at a much lower seat angle.

Waiting for CB touring rack for final touch and then get some miles on to see what I did to my X100.

Last edited:

1happyreader

zen/child method
Nice lines,,, It looks faster even standing still !!!
Maybe all the Quests will look like this someday.
later,,, bye.

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
This has been interesting changing up the steering on my X100.

Experimenting with the steering while trying to be budget conscious and using existing components instead of having parts designed and fabricated for each prototype (expensive for me) has ended up taking more time than I anticipated. But that has been good because it has helped me to appreciate the planning and design that has gone into my Q and X100 (also the Silvio and Vendetta, where I am getting the basic steering design I am attempting to use to modify my X100).

That being said (since it is taking me so long to complete this project! ) I am thoroughly enjoying doing this, and that is good because with my test riding today I found some work still needs to be done. o_O

I put a shim in the clamp that was holding the slider tube to the fork clamp since it slipped during testing of prototype 2.

Also put the seat angle back up a little, and put on the touring/commute rack (kinda hoping to use my X100 to commute to work starting tomorrow).

tmp_17859-prototype2-1-1609925298.jpeg

Testing yields:
Seat angle good, check!
Rack good, check!
Oops! :( Although steering was good initially while easy going in straight lines, big circles, and figure 8s, when I did accelerate hard the slider tube slid forward loosing the shim (you know, the Fosters shim that did not work on the handlebars earlier). No check here. :mad:

So back to contemplating, remember, it's the journey, not the destination!;)

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
This has been interesting changing up the steering on my X100.

Experimenting with the steering while trying to be budget conscious and using existing components instead of having parts designed and fabricated for each prototype (expensive for me) has ended up taking more time than I anticipated. But that has been good because it has helped me to appreciate the planning and design that has gone into my Q and X100 (also the Silvio and Vendetta, where I am getting the basic steering design I am attempting to use to modify my X100).

That being said (since it is taking me so long to complete this project! ) I am thoroughly enjoying doing this, and that is good because with my test riding today I found some work still needs to be done. o_O

I put a shim in the clamp that was holding the slider tube to the fork clamp since it slipped during testing of prototype 2.

Also put the seat angle back up a little, and put on the touring/commute rack (kinda hoping to use my X100 to commute to work starting tomorrow).

View attachment 2481

Testing yields:
Seat angle good, check!
Rack good, check!
Oops! :( Although steering was good initially while easy going in straight lines, big circles, and figure 8s, when I did accelerate hard the slider tube slid forward loosing the shim (you know, the Fosters shim that did not work on the handlebars earlier). No check here. :mad:

So back to contemplating, remember, it's the journey, not the destination!;)

It could NOT have been a Genuine AUSSY Foster's can as they are really tough!!

Maybe a stronger AUSSY steel shim would be better as its Modulus of Elasticity is three times that of Aluminium, so compresses 1/3 that of Aluminium for the same load.

Last edited:

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
Aussy' not da problem, da clamp holding da slider tube only holds 3 sides dus allowed da tube to do da shakes up n down leted da shim to slip away out forth side! (I think dis how shim escaped! See fig 1) Fig 2 shows how da shim cud be confined, but I don't have dat so I will use handcuffs, meaning 2 clamps on each side of da clamp dat helped shim escape. Never happen again to allow Aussy' escape widout doing job!
tmp_16157-aviary-image-1461376916114652714299.jpeg

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Us Aussys are good at escaping from a goal, especially when only three sided, with a guard on the 4th side!!!
A little red wine goes a long way for a quick escape!

If you turn parts of the shim up on the two sides, so it goes around the clamp edges, then there should be less chance of it escaping again.
Its like building a jarrah sleeper walled gaol, without adding stakes into the ground, to stop the sleepers being moved sideways by the prisoners!!!

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
Found 2 clamps (the black clamps in the close-up) in spare parts box that fit on the sides of the clamp that kept slipping on the slider tube. Took X100 for a test ride with no slippage. Put bags on rack (10 lbs each bag) for next test ride and it was marvelous! Forgot bags were on bike during ride. Next I will adjust FD as moving the cable and cable clamp around on the boom/slider tubes threw off adjustment. This is where the Quest 3 has an advantage.

tmp_12996-Prototype2-2587564868.jpeg

tmp_12996-Prototype2-2closeup287314465.jpeg

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
VERY lateral thinking, on the two extra clamps, to do most work of stopping the bar sliding through the original clamp!!!!!

Can you sand off the black paint on the clamps so they will look like part of the original arrangement?