QX100 Steering Mod

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
Thats a good idea. This may not be the final product, so I will wait on changing the finish on those clamps. One nice thing about having 2 CBs is that I can take my time thinking of ideas, getting ideas from everyone on the forum threads as well as direct responses to my postings, and from the mechanics at work who see my CBs and take an interest and chat with me about the changes I'm making. And I can ride the other CB!:) There is one who does me better by having a whole stable full of CBs to choose from, but we don't need to rat him out just yet!;)

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Thats a good idea. This may not be the final product, so I will wait on changing the finish on those clamps. One nice thing about having 2 CBs is that I can take my time thinking of ideas, getting ideas from everyone on the forum threads as well as direct responses to my postings, and from the mechanics at work who see my CBs and take an interest and chat with me about the changes I'm making. And I can ride the other CB!:) There is one who does me better by having a whole stable full of CBs to choose from, but we don't need to rat him out just yet!;)

There is one Cruzbike he does not have and that is a Softrider!!!! but I suppose 6 off Quests from V1 to V3 might make up for it!!!

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
There is another CB he does not have, my X100 mod that I've been riding for awhile now! ;)

I'm overcome with what this little change has done for my ride! :)

I feel like I'm flying, sometimes with a little fear :eek: for how fast I'm going, with the same effort as before my mod. Even into the wind as today.

tmp_18910-May6wind-1768989743.jpeg

I modified my Quest X100 in 2 primary ways: made the steering similar to the Sylvio and Vendetta that is making it more aero and more able to get power from upper body to drivetrain , and added the touring/commuting rack for better aero carrying a load. Both made my ride faster. And also I'm able to coast not just farther but faster, for me coasting is one of the GREAT pleasures of bicycling! :p That's because when coasting I'm still moving, but like I'm gliding through space, savoring the moment as I'm just "being and seeing"!:)

I can't help, though, to think how much better a Sylvio would do all this better for me, as it already has the attributes for aero speed, just need to add ability to add panniers to carry my load aero! :rolleyes: Maybe that's where this thread is headed...;);)

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
I have been riding my modified X100 (modified likeness close to S1?) for 2 weeks now loving it and wondering why I did not buy the Sylvio outright! But when thinking out loud OK I need to haul work stuff, lunch, tools/tire repair (bandaids also) and other sundries on my commute so need good size saddlebags yee-ha! for Westerners, or you might call them panniers, so it seemed the need for rack/large bags required the Q/X.

I only live about 8 miles from work, but always ride different routes that sometimes adds 20 plus miles to my commute, especially when riding home. Bike routes up South Mountain, along Rio Salado Habitat, and around Tempe Town Lake are especially inviting. Days off riding out to Salt/Verde Rivers, Saguaro or Lake Pleasant, or out to Cave Creek have been keeping my knees' ice packs busy! I know did not happen wo pics they will show up eventually when I am thru experimenting/modifying my CBs.

Anyway after the first year I was used to the MBB FWD on my Q and my original X, but on my modified X there were small adjustments where I had to get used to the lower seat angle. The modified steering did not require me to adjust except I have also added bar ends on the X so handlebars are similar to drops which gave me more room in the cockpit for my elbows. Still working on neckrest, but don't have seat angle too low needing neckrest - yet - want to try lower angle for better aero - this kinda scares me as the current lower seat angle gives a slight aero improvement on my modified X seems much faster, it is exciting but I am not totally used to that yet, thus the anticipated need for bandaids! So I have been doing skills practice which makes me feel more comfortable riding faster at the lower seat angle.

So overall my commute with the Q/X was great, but I also enjoy self contained exploring and touring by bicycle and going up hills and riding faster along the way can be exciting.

So it was natural for me to experiment with my X. So here I am with a standard Q that is easily adjustable so my brothers and others interested can ride with me, while I ride my faster X - it's not me it's the machine that's making me faster!:);)

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
Also should add that all the mods I have made on the X have not really been finalized o_O as parts have been slightly jurry rigged to work:confused:. They work ;) but still a work in progress as I tried to use off shelf parts instead of more expensive custom fabbed parts:cool:.

Gromit

Guru
Found 2 clamps (the black clamps in the close-up) in spare parts box that fit on the sides of the clamp that kept slipping on the slider tube. Took X100 for a test ride with no slippage. Put bags on rack (10 lbs each bag) for next test ride and it was marvelous! Forgot bags were on bike during ride. Next I will adjust FD as moving the cable and cable clamp around on the boom/slider tubes threw off adjustment. This is where the Quest 3 has an advantage.
Could you use two stainless steel Jubilee clips instead of the black clamps? ;) :)
Hose_clamp.jpg

I think that the slightly, wider part of the Jubilee clips where the adjustment screw passes through would fit "underneath" the slider tube, allowing the main part of the adjustable band to contact the slider tube clamp alongside it's curved part.

Last edited:

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
The green bikes are a bike share program called grid bikes.

There are bike racks for them in hundred of locations and anybody with a credit card can rent them by the hour on a daily, monthly, or yearly subscription. They then can ride anywhere then return the bike to one of those special bike racks. There are many similar programs like grid bike in many other metro areas.

http://gridbikes.com/

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
The green bikes are a bike share program called grid bikes.

There are bike racks for them in hundred of locations and anybody with a credit card can rent them by the hour on a daily, monthly, or yearly subscription. They then can ride anywhere then return the bike to one of those special bike racks. There are many similar programs like grid bike in many other metro areas.

http://gridbikes.com/
Its a good system!

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
No BOM yet :confused:, as I'm still mulling over the current state of my mod while using the bike for commuting and pleasure rides noting and thinking about things that I want to improve. I know, get this product out the door, but you know the old saying that sometimes you have to kill the engineer who wants perfection or the product will never get out the door.:eek:

I will work on a BOM for the current state of the project :rolleyes:, and note where I want improvements and what I'm thinking for the change.:)

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
Also I slowed down when the latest version of the Sylvio was released because the more rigid front end intrigued me. But I do need the flexibility to add a rack, I like disc brakes, and the Quest and X100 seats are very adjustable.

I can see buying another CruzBike in my future, just don't know if it be a Sylvio or Vendetta, or newer future model. It will depend on my goals as I near retirement.

Rampa

Guru
For a stiffer setup, maybe you could use a fatter slider tube that would go over the lower tube? Might make finding the right size handlebar clamp difficult though.

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
Frisard,
Exactly, smaller wheel size and the folding frame packs in smaller suitcase, disc brakes are great for my types of riding (touring and commuting with loaded panniers especially when in wet weather), and adjustable seat is a great luxury!

The tube I used was the only one I found that I could buy in small quantities (I bought 2, one for my X100 and one for my Quest 3 to be modified soon), finding two tubes with exact dimensions to allow them to slide one in the other is difficult unless they are manufactured to do so. That is why I found it necessary to buy the tube dimensions I bought and do my own sanding to fit them together. Otherwise I thought that I may have ended up with sliding tubes that were to loose.

Rampa,
The smaller diameter tube works great and is rigid, and with your help, I found a stem when fitted in reverse, that fit that size tube to attach my handlebars. I did at a later time find another that was more symmetrical (to be listed in the BOM which I have been contemplating;))

Keep all ideas coming since this type of brainstorming helps all of us customize our CruzBikes to our individual needs, likes, and restless experimenting nature:p.

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I have easily fitted my Silvio V1.0 into an Australia Flight Bike Box 57" *32" * 12", which does NOT attract a $100 to $250 excess size charge by your friendly USA/Canada plane service, but included in the 50 lb limit.Silvio  nearly ready for box.jpg Silvio V1.0 in bike box .jpg

But if you have a Silvio V2.0 or later, and are willing to fully strip it down to fit inside a 24" * 24" *10" USA Plane size box, then free of excess charges.

Please see attached photos of Moose's Silvio, en route to Paris for his successful 2015 PBP race!packed.jpg layer3.jpg layers12.jpg

A cheaper, and collapasable option is a cardboard box, with a vinyl cover option, + 4 compression tubes to stop the carboard collapsing if loaded on it side.
http://www.sandsmachin
p_sns_c8.jpg
e.com/ac_box.htm
p_sns_a1.jpg

http://www.sandsmachine.com/ac_comp.htm