QX100 Steering Mod

Frisard

Frisard,
Exactly, smaller wheel size and the folding frame packs in smaller suitcase, disc brakes are great for my types of riding (touring and commuting with loaded panniers especially when in wet weather), and adjustable seat is a great luxury!

The tube I used was the only one I found that I could buy in small quantities (I bought 2, one for my X100 and one for my Quest 3 to be modified soon), finding two tubes with exact dimensions to allow them to slide one in the other is difficult unless they are manufactured to do so. That is why I found it necessary to buy the tube dimensions I bought and do my own sanding to fit them together. Otherwise I thought that I may have ended up with sliding tubes that were to loose.

Rampa,
The smaller diameter tube works great and is rigid, and with your help, I found a stem when fitted in reverse, that fit that size tube to attach my handlebars. I did at a later time find another that was more symmetrical (to be listed in the BOM which I have been contemplating;))

Keep all ideas coming since this type of brainstorming helps all of us customize our CruzBikes to our individual needs, likes, and restless experimenting nature:p.
RE: the tube: How about cutting the welded on 'U' connector, and have a welder weld on a tube extension. Does't
Frisard,
Exactly, smaller wheel size and the folding frame packs in smaller suitcase, disc brakes are great for my types of riding (touring and commuting with loaded panniers especially when in wet weather), and adjustable seat is a great luxury!

The tube I used was the only one I found that I could buy in small quantities (I bought 2, one for my X100 and one for my Quest 3 to be modified soon), finding two tubes with exact dimensions to allow them to slide one in the other is difficult unless they are manufactured to do so. That is why I found it necessary to buy the tube dimensions I bought and do my own sanding to fit them together. Otherwise I thought that I may have ended up with sliding tubes that were to loose.

Rampa,
The smaller diameter tube works great and is rigid, and with your help, I found a stem when fitted in reverse, that fit that size tube to attach my handlebars. I did at a later time find another that was more symmetrical (to be listed in the BOM which I have been contemplating;))

Keep all ideas coming since this type of brainstorming helps all of us customize our CruzBikes to our individual needs, likes, and restless experimenting nature:p.
So, here is another thought:RE: the tube: How about cutting the welded on 'U' connector off the existing inner tube, and have a welder weld on a tube extension. Does't have to be exact size; maybe same size you sanded - which seems to work with all other new parts.

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
Frisard,
I've been thinking the same as done on this forum as seen in this pic (forgot who I should give credit to) it is the clamp on the boom at the bottom bracket.

Now I'm off to compile the BOM for the current state of my X100 steering mod.

tmp_7922-image(2)1009659087.jpeg

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
BOM for current state of modified X100:

The original X100 was great out of the box, but following discussions on this forum got me to ponder what this ride would feel like with more rigid steering. Also, following the lead of other threads on this forum led me to these changes:

1. replace slider tube with:
6061-T6 aluminum tube 24" long
1.25" OD x 1.12" ID x 0.065" wall
ordered from speedymetals.com
cost $22.00 + shipping
tmp_7922-tmp_12193-NewSliderTube554358821-843284382.jpeg
sanding needed to slightly reduce OD of the new slider tube so it fits into the boom

2. replace fork tube clamp:

Edit: read postings at these three links by DavidJL as he did this clamp in two different ways.

2.1. edit: Fork/Boom Clamp 3 versions
DavidJL has 2 versions I like:
DavidJL's First version:

https://www.cruzbike.com/forum/threads/qx100-steering-mod.10853/page-4#post-127900

https://www.cruzbike.com/forum/threads/qx100-steering-mod.10853/page-5#post-128656

DavidJL's Second version:

https://www.cruzbike.com/forum/threads/qx100-steering-mod.10853/page-6#post-132805

https://www.cruzbike.com/forum/posts/136761/

My first version has four parts:

steeltube weight clamp
Part #90471
ordered from speedwaymotors.com
cost $5.00 + shipping
tmp_7922-tmp_12193-Clamp4Slider-29206318462467693.png

2.2. Zoom adjustable stem, Google it
used only the clamp from the Zoom stem
from my spare parts box
about $25.00 + shipping
need to grind off a little at end where bolt attaches the stainless steel tube weight clamp (grind off where I blacked out the end by bolt hole)
tmp_10530-2p21837005421.jpg

2.3. Bolt, washers, nut, spacer
used to bolt items 2.1 to 2.2
about $6.00 from hardware store

tmp_10477-parts75051377.jpg

tmp_10477-assembled676743588.jpg

2.4 aluminum clamps (2 clamps)
ordered from axiaalloys.com
cost $30.00 + shipping

http://axiaalloys.com/replacement-parts/Billet-Modular-Rollbar-Strap-Clamp-Satin-Clear-Black

The 2 aluminum clamps are in the pic below (black clamps) which keep the stainless steel tube weight clamp from sliding up/down the slider tube. I know, I know, this is a kludge at best, but it works, and is my pet project which may get perfected in the future, sometime, maybe?!? If you want perfection buy a Sylvio or Vendetta!

tmp_10530-tmp_12996-Prototype2-2closeup287314465-77782645.jpeg

3. Stem to clamp handlebar to slider tube.
I bought mine used, about $25.00, Google it or order from this link:

https://www.sram.com/truvativ/products/truvativ-hussefelt-stem

tmp_10530-G0000ABE-138118340.jpg

Current pic of kludged, I meant modified X100:

tmp_10530-tmp_12996-Prototype2-2587564868-1678771669.jpeg

I've been riding this version 2 of my mod for over the last 3 months, slightly more than 3000 miles, and thoroughly enjoy it! I have added bar ends to my straight bars that make my bars like drops. This puts my arms down a little and in a more natural position for me.

tmp_10477-bar_ends-1694285650.jpg

Any change in position is a big deal, as any of us who have made changes can attest, but I'm not going to be making a big deal about what this mod can do for you. What works for me may not work for another, so buyer beware!

The next update will include things that I may have over looked, as well as what I have been thinking about to improve.

Happy CruzBiking!:)

Last edited:

DavidJL

Another feature of doing this mod is being able to use a regular headset with a starfangled nut and top cap on the fork steering tube. I was wondering where that fork clamp came from. I am getting ready to do this mod myself. It looks so much more elegant than the tall riser. This might make it possible to put in my Prius without even taking off the rear wheel. A nice thing about bar ends is that they can be used as supports to set the bike upside to to make flat repair much easier. Maybe this mod will prove to be really popular and could be on the next version of the QX100.

DavidJL

2.2, made from adjustable stem. I am going to use the fork clamp that comes with the QX, and the adaptor that comes with a Giant OD-2 stem to mount the fork clamp. I have a scrap of 1 3/4 inch square Al tubing which I will cut into a channel that will fit right over the fork clamp. This will allow the boom to pivot to the needed angle. The plan is to cut a 1 1/2 inch square Al tubing into a channel and attach it to the first piece, preferably by welding, though I will have to bolt it on for the time being. I am not sure how I will secure the boom into the channel. Maybe I will use hose clamps. If there is any slop in the fit into the channel, it would be easy to shim. Will have to wait to until tomorrow.

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
Pics, and more pics of your process would be great/helpful to document your improvement to my mod for all watching.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Another feature of doing this mod is being able to use a regular headset with a starfangled nut and top cap on the fork steering tube. I was wondering where that fork clamp came from. I am getting ready to do this mod myself. It looks so much more elegant than the tall riser. This might make it possible to put in my Prius without even taking off the rear wheel. A nice thing about bar ends is that they can be used as supports to set the bike upside to to make flat repair much easier. Maybe this mod will prove to be really popular and could be on the next version of the QX100.
Don't use a starfangled nut as it will damage the internal thread of the stearer stem and you will not be able the adjust the front fork suspension preload (IF suspended front fork).
Use an expanding nut instead designed for a CF steerer tube.

DavidJL

Not a suspension fork, so no internal threads, but still a good idea to use the expanding nut. Will have pix as soon as it's finished.

DavidJL

Did a little test this afternoon. Had to get the boom-chainstay angle closed up a bit more so front derailleur wouldn't rub chain. Also had to move the bars back a bit to clear legs. Really does feel like a cockpit and this mod looks to be a winner. Pics to come, so you know it did actually happen.

DavidJL

I would like to figure out a way to get the seat to mount closer to the seat post to get a lower angle. Done right, this could make a more solid seat support.

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
Lower angle (flatter, level with ground) on the seat pan? By moving the seat pan back does look like it would level out the seat pan, but looks like it would shift weight off the front wheel decreasing front wheel traction going up hills.

Did you try mounting the seat pan using the most forward of the pre-drilled mounting holes? Or drilling new holes even more forward?

You can also try building up seat pan padding using a wedge shape pad to level it out.

However, if the seat pan is mounted further back, then you would probably also need to bring the BB in closer which would raise it up putting you in a more aero position. Ive thought about making stay extensions for my X to bring the BB up. Then lowering the seat back increases aero further, but may require a headrest.

In the past I have experimented lowering the seat back and it did make a big difference in aero. My experimenting juices are getting stirred up again!:D

DavidJL

I did move the seat forward back to the position it originally was in. I should be able to make a bracket to replace the two pieces that support the seat back.

Frisard

Hi Steve, what is inside the white "box"? And, that is aluminum tubing, right? It looks like galvanized in one of the photos. Did that tube slide right into the boom, without sanding?
Do you plan on putting together a BOM?
Between you and Emeljay, I see the makings of a good alternative to the vertical riser handlebars.

DavidJL

I'm Dave. The white box shape you see is a piece of 1 1/2 inch square Al tubing with 1/8-inch walls, making the inside just fit the tube. The boom tube is Al. I definitely had to do some serious sanding to get it to fit. If I had a lathe, I would have done the sanding that way using emery cloth, but I didn't have that so I used a powered palm sander. The set screws should be able to hold the tube, but I also have two hose clamps (Jubilee clips) to make sure. I just happened to have the square Al tubing scraps lying around, so I did it that way. The stem is a Giant Connect OD-2 stem for 1 1/4 inch steerer, which came with an adapter for 1 1/8 inch steerer. I used that adapter to mount the fork clip on the fork steering tube.

With this setup, I could use a standard 1 1/8 headset. On my test rides so far, I have not had any creaking noises. The bar setup is not final yet. The bar ends do make a nice hand position, although it's not as aero. It would be nice to be able to brake from that position. I am going to make a plug for the boom tube. I do like having my elbows close in. To get leg clearance I had to rotate the brake levers. It would be nice if Cruzbike would come up with a conversion kit for the QX.

Rampa

Guru
I don't think they would do a kit, but they really could have something like this as standard in a future iteration, rather than the current setup.

It actually provides more positioning options, as well as making a stiffer front end. It is also nice that it gives all the bikes in the lineup a more "pro" look to the front end. Beautiful common design counts! :)

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I don't think they would do a kit, but they really could have something like this as standard in a future iteration, rather than the current setup.

It actually provides more positioning options, as well as making a stiffer front end. It is also nice that it gives all the bikes in the lineup a more "pro" look to the front end. Beautiful common design counts! :)
I agree completely as long as Cruzbike can keep the price down!!!

Rampa

Guru
This setup on someone's Vendetta was my favorite bar setup that I've seen. It is actually very similar to how I have my hamster bars on my non-Cruzbike ( :( ) recumbent.

I like that it is narrow, has multiple positions, superior mirror position, and the cable routing is pretty hidden.

Bar00004.JPG