Rack blocks A5-RR1 shock air inlet

bret

Hmm...

Is anyone else using an A5-RR1 dual chamber air shock with the Quest Touring rack? Is your air shock different from mine? Is the single chamber air shock different?

I'm finding that the Main air inlet of the shock prevents the rack from being mounted as designed. Turning the shock upside down leads to the air inlet being blocked by the swing arm instead - same problem. I don't see a way around it either.

This image is viewing from directly behind, and a bit above, looking forward. The slivery bits at the top are the QR clamp which holds the seat post. The two black arms of the rack are on either side coming from behind, held in place on the right by the cylinder bolt, and on the left by an allen wrench inserted through. The top of the shock is in the middle, with the air inlet pointing left - right into the body of the rack arm:
20170723_rackblocksair.jpg

Any solutions?

super slim

Zen MBB Master
https://www.blackwoods.com.au/part/03304703/elbow-brass-mandf-hw-bspt-18-6mm
a 90 degree m/f brass elbow of the correct thread size and type should fix this problem, as long as the elbow height is not too high?

745071158836688.jpg

bret

a 90 degree m/f brass elbow of the correct thread size and type should fix this problem, as long as the elbow height is not too high?
No. Forget about the rack, consider taking the shock out and attempting to replace the valve with the part you show. Look at the distance between the part that is screwed into the shock itself, vs the height of the fitting you show - the proportions on any I buy would be similar.

There will not be clearance to rotate the brass elbow itself around without hitting the shoulder of the shock - regardless if it could fit within the arms of the rack once installed. That is, as I attempt to screw the elbow into place, it will hit the shock - there's no way to screw it all the way down.

bret

I'm thinking of anchoring the bottom of the rack to the clamp on the seat post, a few centimetres above the (factory specified) top shock bolt.

Another possibility is that the single chamber air shock (I have the dual chamber one) isn't blocked, and is otherwise good enough.

Or going back to the spring shock it came with.

Or getting another rack that doesn't interfere.

billyk

Guru
That's right, absent an elbow.

But ... The shock holds air for months and thousands of miles. No need to refill it often.

And ... It's easy enough to undo either of the bolts on the shock, thus freeing the swingarm and allowing the shock to swing and give access to the blocked fill nozzle.

I have this exact situation (Q2) and it's a non-problem.

BK

bret

It's easy enough to undo either of the bolts on the shock, thus freeing the swingarm and allowing the shock to swing and give access to the blocked fill nozzle.
And some models come with a QR for the top of the shock, and I can get one for mine. Cheers.

bret

I have this exact situation (Q2) and it's a non-problem.

I would really like to see a picture of your set up. I would like to see a picture of any set up of an air shock and the Q touring rack.

In these pictures, you can see the air valve of the shock is pushed by the arm of the rack, and that bolt holding the shock is not fully tightened down yet (and I'm glad I noticed this, as otherwise I would have damaged my shock, or the frame of my bike). Note the bared bushing peeking out from the edge of the upper shock between the frame brackets.
20170730_twistedshock1_cropped.jpg 20170730_twistedshock2_cropped.jpg

I have completed mounting the rack by instead drilling out the seat clamp to accommodate an M8 bolt, which I don't like (bolts and nuts holding springs can work loose). I've lightly tightened an extra nut on it so I can easily see if it loosens. I'm thinking of getting an 8mm sleeve, and putting a QR skewer through it, as those can handle a springing joint (and it would be convenient).

But the rack's on, and seems solid for now. I have a Tern folder also, plus accessories, and Tern uses the KlickFix system, so my commuting bag clips right onto the Q touring rack, as I was hoping.

billyk

Guru
I'm away from the bike this week (visiting my mother) so can't post photos of my shock setup.

I was wrong above in saying "exact setup", since I have the original Q rack, which appears somewhat different from the touring rack.

But the same fundamental problem occurs: the two air inlets are at right angles, and there is no way to mount the shock so both are accessible. Either one is blocked by the swingarm or the other is blocked by the rear wheel.

But in fact these guys hold air very well, so access is needed only occasionally, and it hasn't turned out to be a big deal. The o-ring on the piston lets you tell at a glance if the air is getting low.

That said, Bret's photos show a more serious problem, where tightening the rack would impinge on the air inlet. Maybe a couple of washers on that side would help?