Rack vs. Bag

Brewmaster

Hey Everybody,
I'm down to the carry-all question. Do I use a bag like the Radical Designs Solo Racer, or an Old Man Mountain rack and a bag? I tried the Terracycle Double Century, and although it fits a Sofrider/Freerider/Conversion nearly perfectly, it doesn't fit the Silvio very well. The clearance between the rear wheel and the seat makes the DC a tricky fit at best. It appears that the tire will rub when the bags are loaded, and if I shift everything forward to mount more underseat, I get front tire clearance issues. I don't really want to mount fenders on this bike or do a lot of drilling/modding, etc to the bag or bike. I'm bummed, because I like the Terracycle guys, and I like to buy local, but I'm down to these two choices. Are there any others? Can the Solo Racers carry a 70 oz bladder? And tools, tubes, and maybe a tire? The rack does give the ability to carry a big bag, but I'm not overly enthusiastic about carrying too much stuff....opinions?
Thanks,
Jamie

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
That's a great question and one I haven't sorted out yet. OTOH, I haven't really worked too hard on it, yet.

I don't have anything against racks, ordinarily, but don't care for the looks of the OMM rack on the Silvio. The only thing I've seen that looks appealing to me is Defjack's Radical bag setup. Even then, he more or less attached it semi permenantly. I'd like to think the bags could be modified to be easy on and easy off, but I don't know.

My solution has been to use a fanny pack, turned to the side. I only use it on cool mornings so I have a place stow arm warmers and such. You can use the two side jersey pockets for some stuff. Tools and tubes go into a Pedros bag in the deadspace between the seat bottom and frame. I have a piece of velcro affixed under the seat pan that holds it in place, the straps wrap under the frame for added security. It's never moved.

Mark

Gromit

Guru
Mark B wrote: <SNIP>
I don't have anything against racks, ordinarily, but don't care for the looks of the OMM rack on the Silvio. The only thing I've seen that looks appealing to me is Defjack's Radical bag setup. Even then, he more or less attached it semi permenantly. I'd like to think the bags could be modified to be easy on and easy off, but I don't know. <SNIP>
Defjack could only find the Radical Design Solo Racer Wide bags at Bent Up Cycles. IMHO that's why he has had to hitch the bags up higher with a bolt through the top of the seat. I believe that the standard width bags would sit much higher without needing that bolt. If you read further down the thread he reckons that the wide bags are a good fit on the Cruzbike's seat.
I beg to differ. ;) :)

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Gromit wrote:
I don't have anything against racks, ordinarily, but don't care for the looks of the OMM rack on the Silvio. The only thing I've seen that looks appealing to me is Defjack's Radical bag setup. Even then, he more or less attached it semi permenantly. I'd like to think the bags could be modified to be easy on and easy off, but I don't know. <SNIP>
Defjack could only find the Radical Design Solo Racer Wide bags at his LBS. IMHO that's why he has had to hitch the bags up higher with a bolt through the top of the seat. I believe that the standard width bags would sit much higher without needing that bolt. If you read further down the thread he reckons that the wide bags are a good fit on the Cruzbike's seat.

The last time I saw Jack's bikes, the bags looked pretty good on it. Better than in the pics. My only concern was for the fact they prevented access to water bottles. Now, if they accomodate a hydration bladder..... That would not be such an issue.

Mark

Gromit

Guru
Mark B wrote:
Gromit wrote:
Defjack could only find the Radical Design Solo Racer Wide bags at his LBS. IMHO that's why he has had to hitch the bags up higher with a bolt through the top of the seat. I believe that the standard width bags would sit much higher without needing that bolt. If you read further down the thread he reckons that the wide bags are a good fit on the Cruzbike's seat.

The last time I saw Jack's bikes, the bags looked pretty good on it. Better than in the pics. My only concern was for the fact they prevented access to water bottles. Now, if they accomodate a hydration bladder..... That would not be such an issue.

Mark
Mark
Unlike yourself, I don't have the benefit of seeing Jack's Silvio up close. My opinion regarding the bag's width (which BTW Hotdog concurs with) is based purely on the photos that were posted. Another point that I notice from the photos is that Jack has fitted the bags over the aluminium seat base under the seat backrest pad. I believe that they're meant to be pulled over the seat pad and the aluminium base. That is why the piece of the bag that passes over the seat pad is made of mesh to allow perspiration through. If the standard width bags were used then they should sit much higher, maybe even clearing the bottle cages.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Gromit wrote: Another point that I notice from the photos is that Jack has fitted the bags over the aluminium seat base under the seat backrest pad. I believe that they're meant to be pulled over the seat pad and the aluminium base. That is why the piece of the bag that passes over the seat pad is made of mesh to allow perspiration through. If the standard width bags were used then they should sit much higher, maybe even clearing the bottle cages.

Yes, the bags are meant to be mounted over the pad, you're correct.

I looked them over pretty closely the last time we rode and I didn't think the bags looked out of place on the Silvio. You've made me think, though, that I'd like to see both of the bags and try them on my bike. Jack got his at Bent Up Cycles and if they don't have them, nobody in this area will.

Mark

Gromit

Guru
You know, I'm starting to wonder whether the Radical Design Solo Racer bags are the best option?
When I look at the picture of them on Bent Up Cycles web site, I realised that on a machine such as the M5 Low Racer pictured below, the rear forks nicely hold them apart. There is no chance of them swinging into the wheel. On the Silvio, Jack has used the bottle cages (or their holes?) to stop the bags moving about.
As to what bags I would prefer myself if I had a Silvio, I'm not too sure. :?
I'm gravitating back to the OMM racks with a rack bag. On my Sofrider, I use a Topeak MTX TrunkBag DX on one of the Topeak Super Tourist DX tubular racks. The bag slides and locks into a track in the top of the rack.
When or if I could afford a Silvio, I toyed with the idea of cutting the plastic top off a MTX BeamRack EX and screwing that onto the top plate of an OMM Sherpa rack to retain the track feature for the TrunkBag.

Gromit

Guru
JonB wrote: sew your own bags?
It is stopping the bags swinging into the rear wheel that is bothering me. Maybe some aluminium tubing loops attached to the holes in the Silvio's seat for the bottle cages would stop the bags moving around. Then a hydration system rather than standard bottles would work.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Gromit wrote:
JonB wrote: sew your own bags?
It is stopping the bags swinging into the rear wheel that is bothering me. Maybe some aluminium tubing loops attached to the holes in the Silvio's seat for the bottle cages would stop the bags moving around. Then a hydration system rather than standard bottles would work.

I'm reluctant to comment too much one way, or the other. I'm not sure the bags could get to the wheel because of the back wishbone/seat stays, unless it's the edge closest to the seat.

I'm going to venture over to Bent up Cycles someday soon, perhaps I can put this to rest. I just don't care for the OMM rack option. I want something I can easily take off and on the bike without a lot of hassle or tools. I think the Radical looks like the best solution, but it may require some custom work, which is just one step shy of making your own bags, per JonB's suggestion.

Mark

defjack

Zen MBB Master
I leave the bags on all the time and never had them hit the wheels.The water bottle cages do help some.

3WHELZ

Guru
I also struggled with this, and then came across something that was perfect fit under the seat. It is The North Face ROO II. It is basically a fanny pack. I removed the straps and used Velcro to affix it to the bottom of the seat. It will accommodate all your tools, extra tubes, cell phone, etc. If there is any interest, I will post some pics.

Dave Killen

3WHELZ,

I would very much appreciate photos of the ROO II bag as you have attached it to the seat bottom.

I'd also like to see any photos of how you might have stowed a tire pump and water bottles.

As I assemble my Silvio these three issues keep coming up in my mind.

Thanks,

Dave Killen

3WHELZ

Guru
If you PM me, I can send you pics that will provide solutions to all of your questions. I was unable to compress them enough to post. Thanks

Gromit

Guru
Dave Killen wrote: 3WHELZ,

I would very much appreciate photos of the ROO II bag as you have attached it to the seat bottom.

I'd also like to see any photos of how you might have stowed a tire pump and water bottles.

As I assemble my Silvio these three issues keep coming up in my mind.

Thanks,

Dave Killen
There should be two pairs of holes pre drilled in the Silvio's seat back for bottle cages. See this thread for pictures. Regarding the pump there are all sorts of possibilities. If you were to use a CO2 pump then that would fit in the ROO II bag.

beantown

Has anyone looked at the Tubus racks? It looks like the Fly model might work on a Silvio. You can check them out at the Peter White site http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/tubus_racks.asp.

JonB

Zen MBB Master
beantown wrote: Has anyone looked at the Tubus racks? It looks like the Fly model might work on a Silvio. You can check them out at the Peter White site http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/tubus_racks.asp.
Maybe the Vega model too?