Radical Design's Banana Racer panniers

After some discussion with the nice guys at Radical Designs I ordered their banana racer panniers, and fitted them in the wrong way to the V. It works great.

tQuIKhECw9bbfGogpoBWGDQ-2vIP7XHHy6BxbumSN_GqHaLW=w1394-h1045-no

More photos in this gallery https://goo.gl/photos/KEWvW11sMHVp6ZqWA

Basically I've attached the straps which should go over the seat only over the frame under the seat. I've then put two pieces of webbing over the seat and attaches them to the outer points on the bag (which are a standard part of the design). This tucks the bag right under the rear part of the seat, and gives 25 litres of storage. It's pretty aerodynamic based on absolutely no testing and just a basic idea that frontal area impact is minimal (see how little the bags are below the front of the seat pan). It also doesn't impact the legs too much for the cruzbike duck waddle when you're showing off your super cool bike at the traffic lights, and is pretty good at keeping the load low, and inboard (so you can still filter between cars).

Apologies (not very much though) for using proper spelling and metric units ;)

Worries about hitting the rear wheel were unfounded in my 10 mile ride home from work with both sides somewhat loaded. I think consideration of where stuff is loaded (heavy stuff at the front ideally) will probably keep this so, but fitting a little strut down under the seat on each side is under consideration.

I don't see quite why this wouldn't work in general with the bigger bags, but they have a more pronounced drop to the rear, and are going to be less aero as they're bigger. This is plenty for commuting (I've been fine with 14 litres) and some light bike travel in my opinion. I can always put more load behind the seat later if needed for that kind of thing.

Usual disclaimer: Not affiliated, just happy customer.

I see no reason why the same thing wouldn't work on a sylvio, although wheel rub problems may be apparent there, I've no idea.

Last edited:

Rat Rider

I have a set of those bags - I may rethink selling them... I do not have a 3 foot pole stinking out of the back of any of my bikes. Are you able to tap into the cable-car power source? :)

hamishbarker

After some discussion with the nice guys at Radical Designs I ordered their banana racer panniers, and fitted them in the wrong way to the V. It works great.
I see no reason why the same thing wouldn't work on a sylvio, although wheel rub problems may be apparent there, I've no idea.

nice work! Now I can get over thinking about sewing up some bags to fit exactly there and just go all consumer.

I have a set of those bags - I may rethink selling them... I do not have a 3 foot pole stinking out of the back of any of my bikes. Are you able to tap into the cable-car power source? :)

We don't have cable cars here in Southampton. What we do have are plenty of careless drivers. I commute on my V pretty much every day. This means at least 30 minutes every day in dense traffic (the commute is longer, but I eventually escape the city). So my pole is there to raise visibility up above windscreen level of cars so I get seen by vehicles behind the one immediately behind me, and when lane splitting. It is somewhat makeshift at the moment, and will become something thin, removable easily, with probably an exposure link light on the top when funds and creativity allow.

I ride normal bikes with flashy lights in daylight too. Nearly free once you have the lights, and possibly lifesaving.

jond

Zen MBB Master
yes the radical design banana racers work for the vendetta. expensive and not waterproof but liners are available. work well on the trikes too. interesting way of mounting alan well done. will check it out. i have some photos too of the frame bag i got from the bike bag dude and will post soon as i hook up the iphone to the computer. thanks for sharing.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
I do love the Radical Design banana bags. They just work on so many different bikes. The new CB Scorpion bag works quite well for the CBs at the same time as the RD Banana bags :)

Just a quick update... a few hundred miles further on with loads ranging from full/heavy to empty and I've no reason to want to put any bracing in against wheel rub. I've never felt any, and there are no marks on the bag from it.

DuncanWatson

I have these same bags in yellow. I will set them up the same way, under the seat on the frame with extra webbing. I really appreciate you posting this, it helps a lot.