Rear axle cone dust cover

Vargas

Is it possible to buy the dust covers which sit on the rear axle cones?

Reason: the LBS mechanic where I had my wheels assembled simply removed the dust covers for a "better fit" and screwed them up. Now I need new dust covers to press on the cones.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
If it were me...

...I'd tell the shop that they owe me a set of ducstcovers or new wheels if they'd prefer.

Vargas

This is Brazil

The shop owner offered to get me another axle. But the axle is part of the kit and probably sold only in 100 pieces lot size.
We reach an agreement that he is going to give me a rear hub in exchange for my front hub, so I don't need the supplied axle and will use the rear hub without the cassette.
He said he is going to order the Shimano Alivio rear hub and I can pick it up by end of August.
Well, Brazil is a different reality from USA and it might be very possible that when I go there by end August he will say the vendor didn't have it, that he forgot and is going to order it again etc etc and I'll never see the promised hub.
The time I'd loose suiting the shop is not worth the amount involved either.
I'll wait to see if anyone gives me suggestions on how to replace the dust cover, or will use the wheel without the dust cover and when the hub wears out, replace it by a rear hub.

Or I can try to cold press the frame, as you did, to fit the front hub with its original axle in the rear. But I am afraid I might screw up the frame and end up with two screwed up pieces instead of one :)

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
If the rear triangle is steel

If the rear triangle is steel (test with a magnet) y ou might cold press it. Otherwise keep it clean, repack the bearings sometimes and make sure it is well adjusted. Or collect the old ones, straigten them and knock them back. Put a piece of tube over the axle end. Check some other bikes, lack of dustcovers is not critical.