What pulleys

• Ultegra save your money Y5X998150

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Upgrade of course, the answer is always upgrade what you have Y5X098140

• After market elaborate in comments

• Total voters
I noticed my top derailleur pulleys is stiff and needs replaced on my ultegra RD-6700.

The replacement pulley is Y5X998150 $24au

But it will accept the dura ace
Shimano Rd-7900 T / G Pulley Set Y5X098140 ~$50au

And then their are after market ones also.

Previously I would have easily gone for the upgrade but these days I need a little more convincing. Anybody want to help push me in one direction or the other.

RAR

What is causing the stiffness ? Possibly you could dismantle the cage and clean the pulley bearing and re- lube for free ! Are you racing or going long distances...this would be reasons to up grade.

CruzLike

Guru
Over the last year my opinion has changed on this subject. Last year I wanted to refine the performance of my bike in preparation of Sebring and I purchased some budget jockey wheels like these.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AA80VY...ND&pd_rd_r=5AC1CKXANVV7D5DT81YX&pd_rd_w=ehumW

Initially they worked well after 1000 miles the top pulley was worn out.

I'm sure you can buy higher quality ceramic bearing jockey wheels at a premium cost. Each one of us need to figure out the $/benefit is.

I have replaced the lightweight ceramic bearing pulleys with ones with sealed bearings. I feel they are durable and they save a watt or two over stock equipment.
https://www.amazon.com/Tacx-Bearing...rd_wg=kWmCl&psc=1&refRID=1SS86SBWG65WR66675WX

Honestly, I'm real amazed at the performance of the cheapest (most original equipment) jockey wheels. no roller bearings, they seem to never wear out if you oil them now and then.

I agree with RAR's thought. If you ride a lot replace them. If just on the weekends, take it apart and clean and oil them. Save your money.

What is causing the stiffness ? Possibly you could dismantle the cage and clean the pulley bearing and re- lube for free ! Are you racing or going long distances...this would be reasons to up grade.
What a novel idea to repair something rather than replace it in our throw away society. No you must consume more :eek: .

Thanks for the suggestion I will give it a go