Rear Rack

Itripper

Do you think this rear rack could be modded to fit the headrest? http://www.arkel-od.com/en/arkel-randonneur-rack.html
arkel-randonneur-rack_-seat-post-rack.jpg

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Modded to fit? yes. Would it hold enough weight to make it anywhere near useful? I doubt it.

(I'm really just guessing and not providing any useful information in this post.)

joy

I made one for my Silvio, which would similarly work on a Vendetta. It is pictured in my post titled "First Silvio road ride" under qajaqdennis from Dec. 2014 if anyone is interested.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
This is the underside of a rear rack made by Ratz?? and would be MUCH lighter than the 500 gm of the Arkel rack I used.
DSC_under.jpg I have one fitted to my Silvio V1.0 with a 45 degree seat back,, and is rated for 6 kg on a DF bike using the seat post and seat rails, so would easily be rated for 10 KG on the aluminium V1.0 seat.
I only load it to 0.5 Kg (Bag) + 2.0 kg of wet weather gear and lunch!image-M.jpg

close up Arkel rack connection .jpg Arkel Randonneur rack and bag.jpg

Last edited:
The Bacchetta Brain Box is a little tricky to mount on a V but it works great and holds a lot. I made a wooden tray (shaped like a paddle) to hold mine, with the "handle" of the paddle inserted into the bike between the headrest tubes. I can put two 70 oz camelback bladders in there plus tubes, etc. I've put about 5000 miles on it. These days I usually only have one camelback bladder in there. Anyway, If I were to redo it, the only thing I'd change is maybe use some lighter wood for the tray. Others have made frames mounted to the headrest tubes for the BBB to mount to.

http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/vendetta-meet-bacchetta-brain-box.8740/

http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/custom-mount-bracket-for-bachetta-brain-box-bag.6112/

http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/another-brain-box-mount-for-vendetta.6113/

I have a rack and bag on my Silvio 1.5. That works well too, but the rack takes away from the beauty of the bike.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
That works well too, but the rack takes away from the beauty of the bike.

For what it's worth, that's one of the reasons I like the first rack that Itripper liked. It's easily removable so you can still have your pretty bike, and have a rack when you need one. :D

Itripper

I thought about the brain box but what I really need is a rack. The Vendetta could be such a great long commute bike with a rack. For me I like to explore places that are 30-80 miles from me, and need sometimes carry carry change of clothes, bike lock, food & water, rain gear etc. I am going to buy the Thule, my MTB needs that rack also, so I can switch it as needed, if it does not work on V it will still be useful to me on the old MTB. I never could find a way to mount a decent rack to this soft-tail before.
20151120_180917_zpsohnmd3cf.jpg

super slim

Zen MBB Master
what are some of the details of the IBIS MTB rear suspension as the shocker looks as it does top location and suspension?

Itripper

I tried installing the Thule on the Vendetta but it would require me to cut off about 3 inches of the plastic table top to clear the seat, also the bars that connect to the rear triangle require a little strong arming to make them conform correctly but I do believe it would work. I didn't cut the plastic top however as I also needed it for my MTB, which it works great for. Has anyone come up with any good rear racks yet?

Last edited:
I've used the Arkel rack on my DF bike but don't like that it's center of gravity is so high, so I went with the Nitto R-14 Top Rack from Rivendell (rivbike.) Because it's only 12 inches long, the Arkel Trunk Bag hangs over a little. Nitto rates this rack at 13 lb., but I added a pair of straight struts (cut to 25 cm) to add stability.
Nitto R-14.png3b close grip.png

Elsewhere in the forums are large seat bags such as RevelateDesigns' bags. Their Terrapin System has a removable 14 Liter capacity dry bag that fits in a holster. I don't have any experience with it, worried there may be too much sway.

What rims and tires do you use? It looks that you have smaller wheels than 622 mm.
SRAM Rail 50 27.5 inch wheels, Grand Bois 650b x 32 Cypres. This tubeless combination provides a smoother ride on poor roads and leaves room for fenders.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
SRAM Rail 50 27.5 inch wheels, Grand Bois 650b x 32 Cypres. This tubeless combination provides a smoother ride on poor roads and leaves room for fenders.
Nice combo. It had to be pretty comfortable. I was fiddling with my V20 to make it as comfortable as possible (Czech roads are poor) and also to fit fenders. I am locked to rim brakes adn 622 mm rims. So I am using tubeless 28 mm Schwalbe Pro one and it is still not perfect but there is not any space for larger tires.
How does V20 ride with this smaller wheels?

Reactions: joy