Recommendations on lighting

As the days get shorter in Minnesota, any rides outside of normal working hours require lights.

I am looking for a recommendation for a bike mounted headlight and taillight. As I live in a semi rural area with vey few street lights, the brighter the better.

Thank you,

Patrick

VenRiderGuy

I use the Niterider Lumina 750 (headlight) and Solas 40 (tail light) combo and really like the brightness and the different mode options as well as the USB charging capability. For daylight riding, on my Sofrider and Vendetta, I use two Solas 40s, one pointing forward and one pointing rearward, both on the flashing mode. The way that I have them mounted they both are several inches above my head for max visibility fore and aft. The cars in my lane of travel are very generous with the room that they allow me.

There are lots of options, and it mostly gets down to personal preferences. My Lumina 750 reaches plenty far ahead of me for the speed that I ride in the dark. Sometimes I also mount a hiking headlight on my helmit to help with lighting my field of vision when I turn my head.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
As the days get shorter in Minnesota, any rides outside of normal working hours require lights.

I am looking for a recommendation for a bike mounted headlight and taillight. As I live in a semi rural area with vey few street lights, the brighter the better.

Thank you,

Patrick

If you want to be out on the milk roads in these parts at night; Design Shine or Dinoette; that will let you travel at most any speed. For simply being seen and moving moderate speeds; their are numerous options... Might be worth a trip over to see me to look at the design shine stuff in person.

Design shine stuff

Cyglolite 500 Lumen stuff

ccf

Guru
I use a Cygolite Metro 400 on my helmet. Cygolite sells an extra helmet mount that you can buy from their website. I like to ride with it on the highest constant setting, but I occasionally get complaints from oncoming riders. So beware of going too bright.

-Cliff

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I use a Cygolite Metro 400 on my helmet. Cygolite sells an extra helmet mount that you can buy from their website. I like to ride with it on the highest constant setting, but I occasionally get complaints from oncoming riders. So beware of going too bright.

Cliff,
If you ride at other people a lot; use a piece of black electric tape to cover the top ⅓ of your lens and test. If that works better then use a sharpie to black out that upper third. There is no "cut off" on the Cygolite's and that's what is blinding people. They were designed for night time trail riding so you can see branches etc. Don't use the tape as a long term solution because it will cover the vents and the light will over heat.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
A long time ago I posted on this forum about being blinded and really annoyed by oncoming car headlights. Last night I was riding towards a cyclist with a really horrible bright light on his head.

I have A Schmidt dynamo and Edelux. Looks bright from where I sit. Never seen it coming towards me.

ccf

Guru
Cliff,
If you ride at other people a lot; use a piece of black electric tape to cover the top ⅓ of your lens and test. If that works better then use a sharpie to black out that upper third. There is no "cut off" on the Cygolite's and that's what is blinding people. They were designed for night time trail riding so you can see branches etc. Don't use the tape as a long term solution because it will cover the vents and the light will over heat.

Bob, I just checked it, and that looks like it might help. I need it to see skunks and pedestrians on the Bay Trail, but there are a lot of bikes out there, too. Thanks for the advice.

-Cliff

jond

Zen MBB Master
A long time ago I posted on this forum about being blinded and really annoyed by oncoming car headlights. Last night I was riding towards a cyclist with a really horrible bright light on his head.

I have A Schmidt dynamo and Edelux. Looks bright from where I sit. Never seen it coming towards me.

great solution i have same on trike. i have seen it coming towards me and despite the marked cut off it is still very bright to look at. so still a bright pin prick of light despite no wash into oncoming eyes.

ccf

Guru
Bob, I just checked it, and that looks like it might help. I need it to see skunks and pedestrians on the Bay Trail, but there are a lot of bikes out there, too. Thanks for the advice.

-Cliff

The first night I tried the tape another cyclist didn't see me and rode right into my path, yelling out "whoa!" at the last second when he finally saw me. I swerved out of the way, then pulled over shortly after to remove the tape.

Anyone have experience with the Oculus from Barry Beams?

-Cliff

SamP

Guru
That retroreflective coating sounds really neat. Too bad its not available for bikes any more...

kenhardwick

"Anyone have experience with the Oculus from Barry Beams?
-Cliff"

Supported his project on Kickstarter - 3 years latter - still no light - looks like I may never get mine...

I currently use both Design Shine or Dinoette lights. Prefer the Design Shire rear light as it is adjustable.