Recumbent Newbie

torkjunky

Hope I don't offend anyone form what I build insted of buying a Cruzbike but thought I would try frist and learn to ride the thing. I started riding a few years ago cause my son wanted to ride in HHH in Texas. So I bought a used bike started riding and love it now. But long rides my neck and hands hurt. So I thought I would try recumbents. I found a swb vision in good shape and started riding it and like very much but climbing is not what I thought it would be. I have built and fabricated stuff all my life so I thought I would try and build a MBB after seeing the Vendetta. Bike looks fast setting still. Anyway I built a bike and started riding. Did a lot of reading and video watching but still didn't really think I would have trouble learning but was wrong. Really wobblie and dart really bad while pedeling. The other day I pushed the bars about 1 1/2" forward and it all came together. I was stable and not jerking. Still have to work on slow speed and turning around at slow speed but really like it more each time I get on it. Does clipin pedels help and how long should someone wait before using them?

Just wanded to thank everyone on this forum for all the tips and videos that have been posted. Hope a real Cruzbike purchase is in the future.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I am just a customer of this company. I hope I do not offend anybody now, because I am saying that nobody will be offended by an imitation-Cruzbike.

Try first and learn. I got a conversion-kit because it was the cheapest Cruzbike. I just about managed to control it, but it was a fight. I graduated to a Silvio, which turned out to be a lot easier. Is your design very similar to the Vendetta? I think that just a tiny difference in shape might radically alter the handling.

I have been using my Silvio for almost 2 years and my Grasshopper for almost 12 years. Low speed on the Silvio is still a bit awkward, but getting better. I have never used clipless on any bike. I have custom heel-clips for the Grasshopper, so I made some for the Silvio. I have just discovered the art of moving my feet and hips sideways for steering. I think the clips make this possible. You could try flat pedals with spikes.

If your bike is anything like a Cruzbike, it can climb. These days, when on the Grasshopper I feel as if I am pulling a trailer.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
Welcome!

Hope I don't offend anyone form what I build insted of buying a Cruzbike
Not at all! It isn't an "owners only" forum, and you aren't the only homebuilder here, IIRC. I saw your thread on BROL; can you post that photo of your Vendetta clone over here?

torkjunky

Thanks for reply. Never thought about heel clips, something to think about. I would post a picture but can't figure out how. At frist I could not even let go with one hand and was thinking how I would even be able to take a drink of water, I think now maybe with more seat time it won't be a problem.

Robert O

Cool! I tried building an MBB lowracer a few years back, but it was one of my first projects, and the geometry was off. Yours looks good. So many little things make huge handling differences, though!

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
My heel-clips are cut-down toe-clips, and I thought I was clever to make them. If you can build that bike in your shed you can make heel-clips.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I have noticed oval chainrings on some of the bikes. Is there a real benifit?
As one of the guys here says, "If wearing purple makes you faster, wear purple." :p

@LarryOz did some thorough testing on his bike with Q-rings. You can see it, and the ensuing discussion, here: http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/xql-q-rings-vs-reg-q-ring-vs-circular-chain-rings.8583/

Personally, I've ridden Q-rings since around 2008, first on my road bike, then my TerraTrike, and now my Silvio; my Q507 came with Cruzbike's elliptical ring. I don't know whether they make me faster, but my knees really like them, and they improve my cadence.

If you decide to try elliptical rings, there's a thread on how to orient them: http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/q-ring-upgrade-ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.7784/ I noticed from your photo that you're running a triple crankset, presumably 130/74 BCD. I still have the 50T and 40T rings in 130 BCD that I used to run on my TerraTrike. They're in decent shape, especially the 50T. If you're interested in them, send me a PM (it's called "start a conversation" on this forum software) and we can work something out.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I am 2 years behind castlerobber, but now have them on my Silvio, Quest, and Sofrider after my knees felt better, but even more after shortening the cranks from 175 mm to 152 mm

torkjunky

I stole the crankset off the vision. I am only using the 52/ 42. I have a 175 FSA carbon to go on it with 130bcd but the bottom bracket was to narrow, have a wider one ordered. I tried a 175 53/39 on my road bike once and figured out I wasn't enough man to pedal it so went to a 170 50/34. On the Diamond frame bike I would not stand up but was thinking with the MBB seated positon and being able to put power down I might be able to use the 175 again. Right now the 52/42 doesn't feel bad but I am just starting out.

I give you a shout on the chainrings. Thanks

How was the crusing speed compared going form 175 to 152?

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I have noticed oval chainrings on some of the bikes. Is there a real benifit?
I use short cranks (150 mm) and elliptical chainrings (Q-rings). I convinced myself that there is an advantage through experimentation and by riding with the chainrings out 0f tune. The effect was noticeable in a bad way. I surmised through extrapolation that there must be a positive effect if tuned correctly. Then I created a rough mathematical model to find out what real world chainring shape would be ideal. I expected to see a shape similar to Osymetric chainrings, which are more square. So I graphed my legs' mechanical advantage as a straight line going from minimum mechanical advantage at minimum leg extension (around 90 degrees) to maximum advantage at maximum leg extension (less than 180 degrees). Then I created a graph of the mechanical advantage of the foot applied to the pedal. Since one crank arm rotates 180 degrees from minimum leg extension to maximum leg extension, the foot can apply zero torque at both minimum leg extension and maximum leg extension, but can apply maximum torque when the crank is 90 degrees to the force of the foot on the pedal. The mechanical advantage of one crank arm forms a sine wave. I combined the two graphs (leg advantage and crank advantage) to form a new graph, which is the combined mechanical advantage of both leg extension and crank angle. The shape of the graph looks like the sine wave was pushed to the right. I doubled the graph so that it included both right and left legs. Then I turned the graph into polar coordinates to see what it would look like if I had a chainring that maximized the mechanical advantage of both legs and cranks. The result was roughly elliptical.

torkjunky

Today I went to the nearest parking lot and worked on slow turn arounds after reading in the learning to ride thread. The shoulder drop and lean away form the turn works great. Couldn't believe how controlable the turn is. This site is great.

VenRiderGuy

I use short cranks (150 mm)
Joe, I am interested in going to shorter cranks; currently running 165mm. I don't know if you have mentioned what type you are running, and I went to search through your posts, but there are soooooo many, that it seemed like looking for the proverbial pin. Would you mind sharing what you finally decided upon. I am running a Q-ring also.

Thank you.....

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Joe, I am interested in going to shorter cranks; currently running 165mm. I don't know if you have mentioned what type you are running, and I went to search through your posts, but there are soooooo many, that it seemed like looking for the proverbial pin. Would you mind sharing what you finally decided upon. I am running a Q-ring also.

Thank you.....

Pretty much everyone is using SRAM Apex solid core cranks. They are very reliable for shortening. Hollow cranks can't be shortened.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master

Thank you.....
Yes, what Ratz said.