Remove ads....

RecycledPlastic

It would be nice if in this section ads expired after....say, three days (unless renewed by the poster). People don't delete them and the section is cluttered with ads for stuff that is no longer available. :mad:

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
We use the ads as reference:D to sell our bikes. When I put my Silvio up for sale, I checked first to see what they where selling for used. What would work better is for the poster to post sold, as I did in my ad. Not everyone will get lucky and sell within 3 days, I did not...unless of course it's a Vendetta :D!

If you see a reference to an ad that's a year or more old, chances R, the bike is no longer available. Check the op's post date.

RecycledPlastic

I realize it is used for reference. But that is not what I was suggesting. A catagory as classifieds would be for members selling items. The ads would not be limited to 3 days.....but they would automatically delete if not RENEWED before three days. Pretty much like Craig's list. It's annoying when sellers don't remove the ad when sold and just as annoying to have to email them and wait for a reply if the item is still available.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Too little staff here and not a feature of the forum software as it is implemented today. And of course the obvious we aren't really geared to be Craiglist everything is Caveat Emperor.

The general rule is if it's under a month old; asking can't hurt if it's had no update in 30 days it's likely gone because most people that sell here will come back and "bump" the ad to the top of the list at least once a week and we don't stop them from doing that. It's also good to click on the sellers name and see how often they post. If the seller has < 10 posts and hasn't been online here for 6 months; there is probably no reason to contact them.

In general:
Vendetta's last about 1-2 weeks at most if priced correctly
Silvios 1 month 3 months at most usually.
Q's and Softriders tend to last 1-3 weeks because they have a lower price point.
Wheels and accessories are completely random and easier to sell on BROL.

When selling if you want you bike to sell; assume it's going to loose 10% value per year. That's how I price mine and they always sell. Rotated 5 out in the last 12 months using that formula. Time to build some more :)

In the end the for sale area is here to help the community; upgrade and expand organically. We'd rather people buy new bikes, but it is of course nice when the established riders can upgrade and pass down the old stuff to help lower the barrier to entry for the new or the uncertain riders; so the forum is here, but that's about as much effort as gets put into; the rest is self policing; and for the most part it works for what it is.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Of course the seller could just edit the subject line with "sold" at the end.
That was the reference could still be there for bike type., price, etc.
or the seller could just remove the add after the bike or item sells.
How hard would that be?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Of course the seller could just edit the subject line with "sold" at the end

That has always been the intent. Or update the bottom of the post with "SOLD" . The long time members are good at that; the fly-bys not so much but I encourage everyone to be good community members and maintain their ads.