Replace SofRider with QX100?

I am a very happy Cruzbike rider who has put thousands of miles on my SofRider. But I really like the looks of the new QX100. Can someone convince a miser like me that I should replace a bike I'm really happy with with this new bike? Performance? Ride? Weight? Features? Please convince me!

Lief

Guru Schmuru
1st - why mess with happy?

But...can I start with some questions?
* what do you really like about your SofRider?
* what really intrigues you about the QX100?
* what is your typical ride?
* do you want to change that some/much/at all?
* have you test-ridden?

I like the riding position and speed of my SofRider. What intrigues me about the QX100 is that it is all new and shiny :) and that it appears to be similar to the SofRider but even better. My typical ride is a regular 12-mile commute on a rough (pebbled concrete) surface, plus 10-15 mile weekend rides on regular asphalt. I don't see my riding habits changing much, though I would like to start doing some longer weekend rides and occasional tours (a TransAm is also on my bucket list). I have not test ridden the QX100.

Thanks!

Lief

Guru Schmuru
I never hit send on my reply - Bob chipped my answer. :)

ok - I don't have much experience with the SofRider (defer to anyone that does) but I have ridden one briefly sure- and my Silvio 1.0 is similar in seat position (>10,000 miles).
I also have a current model QX100 and it is very comfortable - I can ride them off of a curb and the big shock in the back makes it feel like a slope.

For roughness you mostly need "soft" tires - which you can get with the Sofrider, QX100, T50 (the new kickstarter model). many folks here would agree that the suspension is nice for big stuff but might be overkill for "rough" pavement. Plus the maintenance / moving pieces of those items adds to the cost/weight/complexity of the system.

E.g., The T50 with BigApple tires at moderate tire pressure would be a pretty sweet ride. Great for a commute, probably a bit lighter than what you have (don't quote me) and simpler for longterm maintenance.
If you want to stay "miserly" (e.g., cost-effective) the black frameset still has 3 left. :) And you can probably swap in your Sofrider wheels and all...just sayin.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/830238324/cruzbike-t50-pain-free-cycling-freedom-on-the-open

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
Having miles upon miles on both a Q559 and X100 I'm saying these are great bikes for me:D. I'm into commuting, adventure cycling, and touring. No experience with a Sofrider. But still saying both the Q559 and X100 are great and I will not be letting them go:cool:. Being a touring rider I have always had the attitude that the simpler the better on tour and for maintenance, as a touring cyclist I just reduce tire pressure a little to give a great ride. So if the T50 had been available when I bought my Cruzbikes I would have a T50 in my stable since there is no additional weight or maintenance due to suspension. Just reduce tire pressure for a softer ride. But I would still have a Q or X100 as it can be folded up into a suitcase for air travel which is part of my retirement plans..ok,ok, about 3 yrs off:(! Hey, so, maybe I should get a T50 so as not to wear out my foldable Cruzbikes!:rolleyes::p

Suz

I have a Sofrider and S30, I love them both. I had an opportunity to ride the QX100 last year at the Portland retreat and if you are happy with your SofRider you will really be happy with the QX100. The disc brakes are sweet, I personally like that it still has a shock because I have grown accustom to it and enjoy the soft ride it gives. The tires are slightly wider on the QX100 and I'm not as handy as the guys on this site so I'm not sure if you can still use 1.25" tires on the rims but someone can tell you, if that's important to you in your commute since you mentioned you like the speed. It did feel faster, but to be fair I didn't do an immediate comparison ride on my sofrider after riding the QX100.

I really like the opportunity to outfit the QX100 with packs easily instead of having to do a lot of modifications. If you are into touring that would be a plus. Or maybe you like to haul excess files to and from work ... and need the extra hauling ability ... (you begged us to convince you).

What intrigues me about the QX100 is that it is all new and shiny :) and that it appears to be similar to the SofRider but even better.

See, this is the problem.

and it folds,
and the boom adjust SO easily,
and it's even shinier in person, sigh

A miser only makes sensible choices and this is such a sensible choice. ;)