Revelate Bags on a Sofrider?

jmoorby

I'm headed to Florida to play this winter (Jan-Mar). Probably mostly car camping but I'm hoping to do some short bike tours while down there. Currently debating what bike to bring, but leaning towards my Sofrider. I hurt my back in a car accident and my upright bikes seem to aggravate it more than my bent.

I've never toured on the Sofrider, just used it for tooling around. I think I'm comfy enough on it by now though that I can give it a try. Since I already own Ortleib Panniers and a nearly full Revelate kit I can't currently afford or justify a third touring bag kit! So I just went out and attached my Revelate Viscacha seat bag with a Revelate Sweet Roll mounted vertically next to it. Funky but actually fits quite well! Tomorrow I'll play some more and see if I can have my Salty Roll attach to the sweet roll on the opposite side of the seat post maybe for a water bladder. Is this crazy? Too much weight on the seat for the suspension? Ideas on how to attach a sweet roll under the seat instead of behind it?

I'll do some more fitting and fiddling tomorrow and see what I can create. Don't have time, money, or focus right now to do any real mechanical alterations/custom rack installs, but would love to make the revelate kit fit.

Anyone else ever use Revelate bags on a Cruzbike? Photos are a little funky because it was dark by the time I finished, and bags are just stuffed with laundry, but will do this all again and more accurately IMG_0122.JPG IMG_0123.JPG tomorrow in the daylight!

Jamie

SamP

Guru
I don't have any Revelate bags, but a search of the forums brings up several posts discussing them.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Hi, Jamie!

One of the jobs that paid me money was, 'motorcycle test rider' and one of my tasks was to test
overloaded saddlebags and tail trunks.

When I'd take my Sofrider out to do some shopping, I'd attach my drybags to the the frame
either under the seat for heavy loads or under the seat cushion, if the loads were light.

If your legs can handle the bags under the seat and between the wheels, that's where they belong.
Keeping the baggage, the extra weight, centralized and low is the key to keeping your center of gravity under control.
If not?
Then pack your bags, mounted behind your seat-back, with lightweight items and haul the heavy
things under your seat and between the wheels.
If not?
Then pack the heavy things on the bottom of your bags and top them off with your lightweight items.
If not?
Then consider a trailer!

jmoorby

Good tip, what a cool job!

I've been playing with different options and think this will be my wheels for the winter! While I've seen lots of mention of Revelate seat bags on Cruzbikes, I've not seen mention of handlebar bags or other frame bags. Most cruzbike tourers seem to use some type of jerry rigged racks and panniers, or best specific bags. But I discovered both my handlebar bags (the Revelate Sweet roll and it's attachment the Salty Roll) can fit either behind or under the seat. Both are double ended dry bags, only real difference is the sweet roll has mounting straps designed to mount to handlebars and the salty roll doesn't, it's just designed to clip to the sweet roll. Anyway, I'm able to attach them either behind the seat on either side of the Viscacha, or even better, on either side of the underneath of the seat. The clips on either end which hold the roll top closures shut work great for securing them together and around the frame. Even with my tent/poles, it's short enough to not touch either tire. I also discovered the large pocket for the front of the sweet roll, which I usually use as my easy on/off "purse" of sorts, clips nicely on top of the Viscacha without adding too much sway.

I'm also curious about the front stem water bottle. I keep seeing photo's of Cruzbikes with water bottles there, but both times I've tried it it got in the way of my peddling. Maybe I just have to get used to it... any tricks to that? I'm also planning to try my top tube Revelate bags (gas tank and/or Jerry Can which I like for tools, tubes, etc.) and see if they can be mounted up front without hitting my legs. So much fun playing with toys, can you tell I'm overexcited!?!

I'm still a little shy of the storage space I'm used to on my regular bike packing set up (missing the frame bag where I usually have water bladder, cook kit, & food), but getting close. I'm used to touring for months on end, whereas this winter will likely be a series of 3-5 day trips, I think I can get by with the decreased space.
It's not yet Tour Tested, but on short test rides it's felt very stable and I hardly notice the weight.

Here's the latest getup!

IMG_0125.JPG