Reversed Handlebar (or Ghetto Bullhorns)

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
I'm experimenting with different handlebar positions and am intrigued by some of the bullhorn set-ups I have seen in the forum. Since handlebars can be expensive, I wanted to try to simulate the position with what I have on hand.

Already, I am enjoying the ergonomics and I think a pursuit style bullhorn bar might be the answer. Here's some photos of my current handlebar set-up. Yes, it looks a bit odd, but it's working well.

Photo 1
Photo 2

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Mr. Drewmeister

Looks cool
Love the Green Machine - graphics -
idea - maybe I'll change the "Vendetaa" logo - to the "Red Machine" :)

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Graphics

Thanks, Larry. I was going to have the original Cruzbike logotype reproduced, but I figured I'd add a little personality to mine. After much deliberation, the name "Green Machine" stuck. Coincidentally, my son is getting a Green Machine of his own for Christmas.

The decals were done by doityourselflettering.com. Great service, fast shipping (from production to my mailbox within days) and a truly excellent product. Once you learn the ins and outs of their design tool on their site, you can come up with some really unique looks. Seriously, plan to spend some time there...it's addicting.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
And here I thought there were

And here I thought there were TWO people with awesome green 1.0 Silvios.
But it's Andrew.

Good thing you left your signature in there. :)

Bike looks sweet.
I've looked at this Bullhorn setup now a couple of times - Ratz was the first one I saw doing it.
I can't see how you can get the right leverage on the brake but apparently it works - ya'll are doing it.

Still like my drop-bar setup just fine - but as with most things, there are a couple of things that this appears to address.

How tight are your legs inside of this cockpit on the return stroke?
Looks like the flaired portion would strike you on the outer-thigh?
OR
It brings your arms back a bit from straight?
What about low-speed turns?

Perhaps we should trade for an min/hour/day? You can ride the Vendetta and I can check this out? :)

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Good queston

Mr Rose, If that's really your name; getting hard to tell the elves apart around here.

Those are good questions,

1) Takes longer to dial in the reach; more trial and error.
2) Easy to get it too far out; then shoulders get strained and leg interference becomes an issue
3) Braking power is fine; it's like being on the hood; with adjustble brakes you just preset the level like you would for small hands.
4) Must get the angle of the rist correct because you only get one position
5) Arms tend to lock into place which give more steering stability once you adjust.
6) Harder to learn as a beginner.

And here's the big one. IF you put an extension on, and your not Ivan sized; then with the higher the bb the harder it is too get the fit right; I have a 50 and 55 extension on the Silvios both right now (thanks steve they work great). If I keep those extensions and I think we definately will, then we'll need longer bars like what Mark did. Probably 50mm more welded on to the end to increase the reach but bring the clamp back 15mm more for leg clearance at the lower position.

Without that extra reach the arms become bent and you loose something and there is leg strike if you are sloppy. You do get a much tighter elbow into the body torso so you stay mostly aero. The narrow bars don't give that elbow flare you get from stock bars; it's about the same as the gary-bars give in the drops on the Vendetta but without the advantage of 2 hand positions (hence my other reference to those bars).

So I have a set of those Gary's I found that I think are like the orginal ones on my vendetta on order. I will see if they are the same; if so I'll install and test to compare to the vendetta and send out the Deda's for extensions to be welded on. More to follow on that topic back in ye'olde giagantic handlebar thread.

FWIW, The reach issue is why my V has Gary's on it; I get two positions and one was about identical to the horn positions when I installed the deda (on that bike Moose was right; what's the difference? not much drops work good); but I do run my pivot clamp backwards so my boom is very low with the clamp up in the boom which give s me that low straight arm position my shoulder requires. If I run it the right way it is too high and the drops aren't comfy. I can't do that on the Silvio but the Extension at 50mm seems to cause that same fit effect.

Edit: Well speak of the Elves they just dropped the Gary Sweep OS bars on the door step. Down to the basement with good saint nick and yep they are very very close to the gary-2. Same curves rate to the drop; same flar after the the brifter location. The big difference the first bend doesn't go out at a 45-ish angle the bar is actually wider and has a 10degree-ish angle after the the bend and approaching the brifter. The finish is anodized like the S20/V20 and Silvio 2.0 booms. 31.8mm clamp areas. the geometry look very promising. Bah I have no time for this right now. Holiday is this weekend for us. Guess I will be playing on the 25/26th and when you all sneak off from your families for a bike fix maybe I'll have some photos ready for you. Robert called me a tease time to own-it/earn-it. :)

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
To Axl Rose (or Lief)

1. How tight are your legs inside of this cockpit on the return stroke?
2. Looks like the flaired portion would strike you on the outer-thigh?
OR
3. It brings your arms back a bit from straight?
4. What about low-speed turns?
Ratz-Cringle gave a very good account of the set-up he uses, which I sort of stole my set-up from, but here are my answers:

1. My upper thigh has always been close to the "tops" of the handlebar. This position does not affect that, but it did take some fine tuning to get just enough clearance without closing the cockpit too much.

2. I have no interference between my outer thigh and the flared ends of the bar.

3. I was unable to get a comfortable straight arm position with the bars in their normal position. Reaching for the hoods then gave me a nice extension, but it put my wrists at an angle that wasn't ergonomic. Gripping the straight portion of the bar provided a nice, neutral wrist position, but my arms were more bent than I liked, and I sometimes felt as if my grip wasn't so secure.

4. Low speed turns are just as easy, if not easier, for me. I may actually have greater clearance between my legs and the bar now.

I do wish for a longer extension and will eventually look for a pursuit-style bullhorn. In the end, I think a Vendetta will address my needs. With that said, we should get together sometime and you can take the Green Machine for a spin. I'll gladly trade some seat time for a spin on a Vendetta. :)

ratz

Yep

3. I was unable to get a comfortable straight arm position with the bars in their normal position. Reaching for the hoods then gave me a nice extension, but it put my wrists at an angle that wasn't ergonomic. Gripping the straight portion of the bar provided a nice, neutral wrist position, but my arms were more bent than I liked, and I sometimes felt as if my grip wasn't so secure.
That's was the problem that drove the whole adventure last year. What I think we see here is that for some of use; not all. The higher the handle bars / lower the BB the more we see this problem; and it's relative to body length; arms; and waist to shoulder length. Perhaps it's more people, but it definitely got me and the Mrs about the same.

ratz

Straight bar thread

Mark,

You still planing to add an extension and put the straight bars on? Been waiting to see how that works out in a new thread.

mzweili

Guru
Straight bar

For the next couple of months my Silvio is on the rollers, and I prefer not changing my current set-up before I really get stable on the rollers.