Ride-a-Thon for Honduras - Larry Oz - goal 1500 miles in 15 days

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Hello all,
Here is my belated post for my Honduras Fund Raiser.
Pretty much the same as last year - just longer (last year was 10 days - this year is 15)
I had meant to post it on Saturday when I officially started, but with the re-org of the forum I need to check with "the "powers that be" to make sure I posted it in the right area!
Rides so far:
Saturday 6-25 - 90 miles
Sunday 6-26 - 30 miles
Monday 6-27 - 200 miles
.........................................................Here is the post ................ Thanks for your support ......

As you may or may not know, we (Gayle and Larry) lived in Honduras as full time missionaries for 1 year. Since returning in 2010, we have continued to support “Harvesting Hearts for Christ Mission” by visiting as often as we are able and supporting them in many ways. There are 4 families that we support with a small offering each week. They each minister a small local home group. They all also join together as one fellowship in a small church we helped them build years ago. All of them try to find other work, but it is very hard to come by these days. The offering we provide helps feed them when things are tough, and things are always tough.

Going forward, we have decided that we will do a once a year fundraiser and whatever monies are collected will be the funds available for the following year.

Therefore, to combine Larry’s love for Ultra Cycling with our love for Honduras, we have set aside 15 days from June 25th through July 9th to “ride for Honduras”. Hence the title of this fund-raiser: “15 days for Honduras”. Our goal during this time is for Larry to ride at least 1500 miles. (Part of this time will be local in Hendersonville, mostly on a track for safety, inside on a trainer if raining, and some will be during our family vacation at the beach). We hope you are excited to come alongside us in this adventure, as ask that you prayerfully consider pledging a certain amount per mile, or a fixed amount. Our goal is to raise at least $6000 for 2017. This amount would be sufficient funds to:

1. Continue to provide minimal weekly offerings to these 4 families ($25 each week),
  2. Allow their children to attend school (school clothing and books needed per student, &
  3. Create a small emergency fund for needs such as medicine, and medical treatment.

Harvesting Hearts for Christ Honduras is a non-profit North Carolina corporation. 100% of all donations go directly to specific needs there. No outside donations are ever used for “administrative” costs. The mission is not 501c3 per Federal IRS, but a donation earmarked for Harvesting Hearts for Christ Mission can be made to our local church who is 501c3, and they will then send the money directly to the mission. This information will be sent to you via private email (or snail mail) once I have you on the list.

Please email me back at larryoslund@gmail.com with the amount you would like to pledge and we will add you to the mailing list for this event. Larry will video some of each ride and also take some pictures to share with you each of the 15 days and distribute them by email. You may also call him at 828-216-7860 anytime to discuss any questions you may have about this event or Honduras Ministry in general.

Regardless of whether you choose to donate for this need, we urgently covet your prayers, for Larry’s safety during these 15 days of riding, and especially for our special friends in Honduras.

Thank you in advance,

Larry & Gayle Oslund

LarryOz

Here is my daily mileage progress since starting on June 25th:

Sat, June 25 - 90.8 miles [Total - 90.8 miles, 9.2 behind goal]
Sun, June 26 - 30.4 miles (all I had time for was a little before church, so got behind my 100 per day goal pretty good at this point) - [Total - 121.2 miles, 78.8 behind goal]
Mon, June 27 - 201.4 (a very long day, but now caught up and a little ahead) - [Total - 322.6 miles, 226 ahead of goal]
Tues, June 28 - 114.7 - [Total - 437.3 miles, 37.3 ahead of goal]
Wed, June 29 - 112.8 + 6 =118.6 (6 of the miles did not record on my Garmin) - [Total - 555.9 miles, 55.9 ahead of goal]
Thur, June 30 - 100.7 - [Total - 656.6 miles, 56.6 ahead of goal]
Friday, July 1 - 100.4 - [Total - 757 miles, 57 ahead of goal]
Sat, July 2 - 92.3 miles (started riding at 4:20am - only had 4 hours and then had to go home to load up car for week vacation and trip to the beach) - [Total - 849.3 miles, 49.3 ahead of goal]
Sun, July - 103.8 = 32.4 = 136.2 miles (Century at the beach in the early morning, followed by an easy 32 mile ride in the afternoon) - [Total - 985.5 miles, 85.5 miles ahead of goal]

only 6 days left to ride - and Saturday is when we come home from the beach, so it will most likely be a low mileage day - but OK since I've built up a reserve now. :)

LarryOz

Hello everyone,
We'll my 15 days of riding for the Mission in Honduras is now complete!
It was a lot of riding, and yeah - I'm pretty tired too! :) haha

Here is a daily tally of my miles:
June 25 - 90.8
June 26 - 30.4
June 27 - 201.4 (though I better catch up from the low mileage weekend)
June 28 - 114.7
June 29 - 118.6
June 30 - 100.7 (fell on track near the end of the day - swerving around a walker - more road rash - rode with right hip and arm bandaged up the rest of the time)
July 1 - 1004.
July 2 - 92.3 (This is the day we left for vacation, so I got up at 4am and rode on the track for 4 hours before we left - also Gayle's birthday)

Riding at Hilton Head Island now during family vacation (some hot and humid riding - good for training I guess!)
July 3 - 136.2
July 4 - 111.7
July 5 - 100.7
July 6 - 102.1
July 7 - 112.7
July 8 - 100.5 (This gave me a total of 1513.2 miles, so goal met 1 day ahead of schedule!)
July 9 - Packing up and traveled back to Hendersonville from the beach - not much time to ride, but not a big deal since I met my goal yesterday

Thanks you very much for pledging support for the Honduras Mission.
If you pledged please mail your donation to my church below (and label them "Honduras Mission" and it will get put into the right fund, and you will also receive a donation summary for your taxes after this year is complete.
Community Chapel of Hendersonville
P. O. Box 6463
Hendersonville, NC 28793

Thanks for following me and - Blessings to you,
Larry

P.S. If you did not pledge, but feel led to contribute, donations can be made anytime this year. Please just send them to my church address above and label them "Honduras Mission" - Thanks!