Riding the hoods

joy

What is the benefit of riding with your hands on the hoods? Is it just to have a different hand position, or is there another reason? Thanks

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Straight arms to give a somewhat continuous surface for air to re-attach to after your fist and brifter punch a hole into it. Basically better Aero than bent arms. The goal would be to have a power bicep position in the drops and a straight arm position on the hoods. One is for climbing and laying down acceleration; the other for aero, steady state efficiency.

Add some nice gear from http://cuore.ch and you can get pretty slippery in the wind.

LMT

Try looking at using a standard drop bar, I recently fitted a 3t ergonova handlebar and it seems quicker. Certainly I've noticed that there is far less movement when putting some serious power down. Keeping your wrists in a vertical position as they would be on the bar I think is more efficient then at an angle which they would be on the stock bar. FWIW the bar width I bought was 44cm

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
My bars are modeled on the first Vendetta for two reasons:
1.) The most important reason is comfort... for whatever reason, for me, holding the hoods with the arms straight feels awesome.
I experimented for months, off and on, to settle on what works for me.
2.) Like the Great and Good Ratz says, aero is king and straight arms will give you second-best aerodynamics on the Vendetta.
The best aerodynamic position for your arms is tucking them out of the slipstream altogether, like Larry does on his custom hamster bars.

Other reasons are, in no particular order, are:
A.) The hoods are another place to rest your hands;
B.) The hoods are where you control your brakes and gears, so holding the hoods is kind of a good idea anyway;
C.) I dunno about Ratz's idea that you need your biceps to muscle extra power into the Vendetta... if it works for you, more biceps to ya.
With my arms straight, I can use both my triceps and biceps but I primarily use both my shoulders and core to pump more power into the bike.
The design of the stock seat back frees up your shoulders;
D.) John Tolhurst designed a bullhorn bar for the Vendetta and this is what I was aiming for.
However, instead of using bar-end shifters and TT brake levers, I use brifters.

If your bars, hoods, levers and whatevers are working for you, fine!
Don't worry, be happy.