Robert's V20 build

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
I wanted to post a picture of my new V20 build. I have finally retired my older V1 Vendetta (a very hard thing for me to do) in favor of the new version.

This is a hand painted frame - and like many of you who have the latest frame can attest - the paint job and finish is superb.

For my build I cut down the fork from stock to eliminate the spacers, using only one thin spacer. Out of the box everyone should be using a 10mm and 5mm spacer. If you do not have the right ones please shoot me an email at support@cruzbike.com.

To further lower the bars and improve visibility I installed a curved slider. Parts off my old V migrated over: Q-rings in 53/34, 165 cranks, 11-40 cassette, SRAM X0T2, Salsa Woodchipper bars, SL-K brakes, Serfas lightweight brake cartridges, Ventisit seat pad, Panaracer tires.

For this build I changed to straight SRAM brake levers and SRAM bar end shifters.

B&M Cycle Star mirrors. Lizard Skins grip tape (nice and grippy)

Custom wheel build here includes Shimano 105 hubs (SMOOTH and QUIET) surrounded by H Plus Son 700c rims with machined sidewalls. (STIFF) 32 spokes front and back. Butted spokes on the rear wheel and straight gauge spokes up front. This is a STIFF and FAST wheel build. Once you experience a stiff high spoke count wheel - even though it may be heavier than some - you will not go back to a super light wheelset on these bikes.

Looking forward to getting this baby out on the road!

FullSizeRender-4.jpg

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Beautiful build Robert!

Once you experience a stiff high spoke count wheel - even though it may be heavier than some - you will not go back to a super light wheelset on these bikes.
I would like to know more about this. Is this due to the front drive wheel and applying a lot of torque to it? And is this something you can feel when pushing hard?

Last edited:

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
This is a STIFF and FAST wheel build. Once you experience a stiff high spoke count wheel - even though it may be heavier than some - you will not go back to a super light wheelset on these bikes.

Wheel weight is one of the biggest boogiemen in cycling. Stiff and aerodynamic is almost always the way to go.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Hey Robert, that V looks the business! I would like to know what crank length you chose and can't wait to read your next ride report! (Are you going to redo that video of you zooming down the mountain? Guess we might have to wait a few months for that)

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks all. I run 165 cranks. I used to run 170's but once I switched to 165's I preferred it a lot more on this platform.

Rick - as far the wheels go, it is my experience that the lighter wheels feel "flimsy" on these bikes, especially up front. I am a bit of a clydesdale "diesel" style rider and the lighter wheels simply do not feel solid under me and there is always a vague feeling tot he bike especially in cornering. With the stiffer rim/spokes the bike feels like it is on rails. I also prefer the grippier tires over "faster" less grippy any day.

As far as wheel weight, these wheels roll like crazy and carry so much speed over lighter wheels I have run. I am not a lightweight fast climber but do not notice the weight of them on climbs. The secure feeling outweighs any gains of light wheels on climbs in my opinion.

jond

Zen MBB Master
wow beautiful bike very purposeful looking. stealth mode. i agree with you about the wheels on the v.

could you not have gone with large chainstay and lifted your legs up and lowering the straight slider at the same time for maximum aero profile???

will you keep the v1 frameset and maybe hang her up in pride of place. maybe even build her up again at some later stage. i am sentimental about aussie pride. :)

all the best for xmas everyone. here is to the new year.

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
I'm with you Robert since I both commute and tour fully contained. If I raced, saving grams would be on my list, but I need not just strength but the feeling of stability. Your bike looks GREAT!

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
I am running the 25mm Panaracers. Nice and grippy. I have been thinking of trying the 26mm IRC Aspites as they get high marks. The cassette is a SRAM converted with the OneUp 40T & 16T conversion. Really the 40T is overkill but I simply swapped my drivetrain as it has all been wearing together so...

The V1 frame - while retired - will indeed live on as wall art at the shop:

V1 Vendetta Retire.jpg

LMT

Very nice, I like the carbon crankarm and Q rings.

What's it's like riding with such a wide gearing?

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
That wide range is a bit on the extreme side, but I rode it last year to test the shifting of the OneUp. IMHO anything less than 1:1 and you really just need to be riding more hills to build strength as the front end becomes unstable.

The cyclestar mirrors I got from Calhoun Cycles. They are hard to come by but in my opinion is the most awesome mirror out there. Real glass without a lot of curve and distortion. Since I ride in Portland traffic and through downtown a lot I want to see and see clearly. If you remove the stalk mount you can pop the mirror straight into the part that attaches to the bar for a clean look.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
The cyclestar mirrors......If you remove the stalk mount you can pop the mirror straight into the part that attaches to the bar for a clean look.

That's pretty cool, I would never have deliberately pulled the stalk off! I really like the Cyclestar too but a more compact/clean look will be nice on the V. Here they are on Softrider, on the stalk but with the mirror itself flipped completely upside down on the stalk for my version of a cleaner look. I like Robert's solution better.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 217
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 198
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 203

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Here are a few images of the mirror mount. They are tucked in behind the brake levers and near invisible from the front (might depend on your bar position, etc for that) so they are pretty aero. I can still ride with my hands on the hoods and use the mirrors with them in this position. I have used zip ties here as the stock threaded band that attach them out of the box have long since worn out.

IMG_0159.JPG IMG_0160.JPG IMG_0161.JPG IMG_0162.JPG