Rohloff Chain Tensioner

Paruig

I fitted a Rohloff Speedhub to my Silvio and found the Rohloff chain tensioner will not fit the derailleur hanger.
There seems to be too much metal around the mounting hole on the derailleur.
The "end stop peg" on the tensioner gets in the way so the derailleur cannot be bolted on.
I have used Rohloff hubs (and tensioners) on a number of other bikes without this issue.
Anyone else experienced this?

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I was really curious about this when I got my first Cruzbike - a Silvio, but I was not able to find much to point me in that direction.
I just started riding ultras and kind of forgot about it.. :(
In my view it will take some custom machining to make it work, but it would be sweet not to have to deal with a RD and cables. (Of course there is Di2 for that now too!)
There are many guys with that expertise on this site though - hopefully they will see this and chime in.

georgec

Don't know about Rohloff, but I mounted a generic fixie-type spring-loaded tensioner on my Silvio by drilling & threading a 10mm hole in one of the dropouts in a position similar to where they are on a "normal" (HEH) bike. It has worked great for a couple years with a Shimano Nexus 8 speed geared hub and a Shimano BioPace chain ring. Maybe this approach would work for you.

Martinius Berg

Have you tried to reinstall the Scram tensioner together with your Rohloff single speed hub and that does not work ? Normally in order to use the Rohloff hub a Rohloff single speed tensioner is required ?

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
When installing a chain tensioner for my IGH on another bike, I simply used the same derailleur. All you need to do is take an old cable-end (i.e. the part with the nob or whatever on the end), and put it through to the cable-holding bolt. Align the derailleur to the chainline and tighten the cable-holding bolt. Done. You now have a chain tensioner (which is slightly heaver, yes, but... *shrug*).

In summary: Any old rear derailleur can be adapted to be used as a chain tensioner in about one minute.