Roof Racks

I am a new Sofrider, with a couple weekends of riding. It's been good fun so far.

I've scanned numerous posts looking for a definitive answer about transporting the Cruzbike, using roof racks in particular, including Mark B's mangled bike images.

What are people using to roof mount a Sofrider?

It sounds like some people mount the racks backwards, locking the rear into the quick release.

Two questions:
Q1: Is there trouble getting the rear frame to mount on the rack? In looking at the structure, I am not sure there is room to slide into position, compared to the typical front fork that simply drops down into place.

Q2: is anything special needing to be done to secure the front assembly? I can image it torque-ing and being a potential problem.

I was looking at the Rocky Mounts TieRod, which is designed for the elliptical cross bars of Subarus. A rep for RM was unfamiliar with Cruzbikes and did not recommend the roof rack. That didn't seem right.

Thanks.
CBlair

mauler

Hello Blair,
I use

Hello Blair,

I use SeaSucker's Mini Bomber and Talon racks with my Silvio.

The racks' vacuum pads suck in place very, very securely, IMO.

I think it's possible to slide the rear dropouts into place but practice may be required.

I use 2 webbing straps (with Velcro sewed onto them) to secure the front end by looping them around the handlebar beneath the brifters and the headrest frame. I think you can explore where you may do it with your Sofrider? With the straps tensioned, the front end is almost rigid.

The picture below was before I took Eric Winn's advice about looping it beneath the brifter, but it's the same idea.

2014-01-18%2008.23.05.jpg

Here's a picture of the Silvio on the SeaSucker Talon:

IMG_0481.jpg

I do not suggest using a single-bike rack like the Talon because of the loads on the rack. I prefer the Mini Bomber for better stability.

I hope that helps.

jmoorby

Rocky Mounts

I have both a Rocky Mounts TieRod and a Pitchfork. The TieRod is currently on my car and my Sofrider does NOT fit on it as the front end is too wide to fit with the angle of the drops on the rear wheel. However, the Pitchfork looks as if it would fit though it's not currently mounted on my car and thus I haven't actually tested it out. If anyone is currently interested in this I could hook it all up to confirm.

Jamie

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
This picture is not of a

This picture is not of a Sofrider on the roof, but the rack fits all the Cruzbikes except the Vendetta. It is the Yakima Frontloader. love it for a roof rack!

I went with the Yakima Forklift. It is very secure (mounted without the rear wheel on). I can hoist it up, but it helps to have a steadying hand to keep the front wheel from flopping - which also true when re-installing the rear wheel.