Routing Brake Housing to Rear Disc Brake

BentBierz

I was wondering if anyone else is running disc brakes on their bike and, if so, how are you routing the rear cable?

It would have been ideal if the cable exit from the body was on the left side but it is starting to seem that this whole disc brake thing on the Silvio 2.0 amounted to little more than welding on tabs for their use...no mention of disc brakes in the 2.0 manual, no cable stops for routing, very few 130mm disc compatible hubs, discussion by CB (Doug) that 160mm rotors may not work but no official proclamation, etc.).

I think I am going to love the bike but NOT feeling the love as far as disc brakes go.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
May I be Presumptuous?

Perhaps I am wrong, but I believe the Silvio and Vendetta were designed to accomodate the current minority of road cyclists who want to use disc brakes, but the primary design suits the use of standard road bike brake calipers. It's not uncommon to see bicycles designed for differing braking and drivetrain systems; you may see single speeds that have rear derailleur hangers, or v-brake equipped bikes that have cable guides for hydraulic disc brakes.

130mm hubs are few and no likely to be prevalent. However a 135mm hub, as Doug has shown, fits albeit snugly. I can not speak to the rotor diameter, however.

Anyway, I see no reason to have less love for your Silvio in regard to running disc brakes. If I were building my dream Silvio, I'd run discs also.

Cheers!

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
thanks for clarifying

I appreciate your detailed explanation of where you feel some of the details were missed. I can see your point and I can also appreciate that a few minor "misses" will not take away from your enjogment of the Silvio. As for the learning vurve, if you follow the tips outlined on this site and remember "open palms", you will find you will quickly adapt to MBB. You're going to love it, I am sure. Just wait untik you are pacing your roadie friends on every climb. Trust me, I was blown away by how strong of a cyclist the Silvio makes of me.

BentBierz

Hi Andrew,Well, for

Hi Andrew,

Well, for starters, I DID say that "I think I am going to love the bike", not that I was going to have "less love" for it. The only reason why I say "I think" is because I am still building the bike so there is no way at this point that I can definitively say I LOVE IT! I'm hoping and am confident that I will get to that point and I am going to be very determined to ensure that I get past the learning curve that seems to trip up a lot of people and is what kept me from buying a Cruzbike three years ago.

When I saw that the Silvio 2.0 continued the nice looking boom from the 1.5 AND was introducing disc brakes, this got the wheels turning (no pun intended) and I talked to Nanda a few times (we have had many conversations over the past three years about Cruzbikes) and I finally took that deep breath and said, "OK, I'm finally ready" and placed my order.

I guess my main point is that I thought the disc brake set-up would be a more refined addition to an obviously beautiful and somewhat futuristic bike. I look at the suspension and the carbon fiber stays and I am in awe of the mind that can come up with this stuff. And then, done daydreaming, I get off of my stool and get back to working on the bike and I find myself getting irritated with the "standard" things a bike of this caliber should have but doesn't (the stuff I mentioned in the original post).

The same goes for the front brake. Below is a picture of the fork showing stops on the right side blade for the rear derailleur but nothing on the left side going down to the disc brake. I have three other disc brake bikes in my garage and they all have stops on the left blade so that you can cleanly/efficiently run cable to the caliper. Incidentally, there are 4 drawings in the Silvio 2.0 manual that shows a stop on the left front fork blade but it evidently didn't make it to the production stage. Looks like I will be using zip ties front and back. :(

photo%202%5B2%5D.jpg

I don't want to give the impression that I am NOT a happy camper. There are some things, already mentioned in this and other posts, that I don't like but, I'm much more happy than not and am not second guessing my purchase at all. Who knows, maybe the 2.5 folks down the line will get the refinements that us 2.0 adopters are discussing now. That is the price unfortunately paid for being an early adopter.

BentBierz

Andrew said:
Trust me, I was

Andrew said:
Trust me, I was blown away by how strong of a cyclist the Silvio makes of me.

Coming back from back surgery and having been off bikes for many months before that due to the back problems that led to my surgery, your comment is certainly music to my ears!!!

BentBierz

Thanks Andrew...I have seen

Thanks Andrew...I have seen these before in catalogs but have never used them. I might buy a bag or two and try them.

I have used these made by Rohloff for running the continuous housing for my Rohloff on my trike and my Ti-Rush and like them given that they are really just a "fancy" zip tie.

romelman

why not 132.5mm spacing

Some frame manufactures spec their drive side dropouts as 132.5 spacing so 130mm or 135mm wheels can fit. Why not have this for the Silvio and Vendetta?