Routing Internal Cable Housing on the Silvio 2.0

BentBierz

As is probably becoming obvious, I am putting my bike together VERY SLOWLY. This is primarily due to the fact, I'm sure I've already mentioned before, that I am still waiting for a SRAM Red 22 WiFLi rear derailleur and a Force 11-32, 11 speed cassette. I'm not certain exactly what the deal is but QBP evidently doesn't have those bits in stock (or very small numbers) so I wait and I wait and I wait.

So today, my projects were to get my Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll trainer assembled and to route the internal brake housing on my Silvio. I was dreading routing the housing thinking that it was going to be difficult so I decided to put the trainer together first.

Below is how I routed the cable:
  1. First, being the dummy I am sometimes, I realized that I needed to take the seat off to get to the large holes that are part of the seat back support.
  2. Starting at the head tube end of the bike, I pushed the housing in until I could see it coming up to the first large hole in the seat back support.
  3. I was then able to put my finger on the end of the housing through that hole and, while slowly pulling the housing back out from the front of the bike, guide it over toward the housing exit point. (See picture):
Routing%20Internal%20Brake%20Housing-Silvio%202_0.jpg

<ol start="4">
[*]Once I got the housing lined up with the the exit point, I took a machinist scribe and, while still holding the housing in position with my finger, stuck the pointed scribe firmly into the end of the housing.
[*]I then pushed on the housing from the front of the bike and used the scribe to kind of keep it coming out of the exit point.
[*]I was only able to get a little bit of housing to poke out by pushing on the other end before I could tell I was pushing more housing into the frame than was coming out the exit.
[*]At this point, I took a small pair of locking needle nose pliers and, getting a good bite on the cable housing end, pulled on one end while pushing on the other.
[*]I pulled a good amount of the housing out and then tugged back and forth on each end of the housing to make sure that it was running fairly taut between the holes inside the frame.
[*]I cut off the small section that had to be sacrificed by clamping down with pliers.
[*]This is how you turn something simple into a 10-step process; It took me much longer to type this then it did to actually route the housing. ;)
[/LIST]

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
I see you are putting the

I see you are putting the housing through the frame. That is okay. Or you can put cable stoppers and run only the cable through the frame. You would ideally use a plastic sleeve for the cable that is inside the frame, which is something that was not included.

BentBierz

Hi John,
I debated whether to

Hi John,

I debated whether to run housing or just the cable (and the sleeve as you mentioned...I am using Jagwire Ripcord that comes with sleeve material) but in the end, due to it not being a straight run between the two points, I opted for continuous housing the whole way.

Ivan

Guru
Same for me, since it wasn't

Same for me, since it wasn't a straight line, I ran cable housing all the way. This also gives some leeway in the amount of loop that cable makes through the stem clamp. This leeway was helpful to me to get nice and neat cable runs. I would recommend running it all the way, but then you may have to buy extra cable housing like I needed to.

BentBierz

Hi Ivan,
I have quite a bit

Hi Ivan,

I have quite a bit of Ripcord brake housing left over from a 25' piece I bought for another project so I have some to play with while I go through the adjustment phase.

counterpoint

Opinions on Yokozuna cables?

I heard very good things about Yokozuna cables but there were two caveats

1) the cable diameter seems slightly wider than standard Jagwire/SRAM/Shimano or Campy
2) very stiff, making it hard to install, sometimes affecting steering and issues adjusting because of the pressure

Any opinions here? I'll probably have my shop do this as I would need to buy bulk cables and housing otherwise. They carry Yokozuna but also Jagwire etc.

Jeremy S

Dude
I see you are putting the

I see you are putting the housing through the frame. That is okay. Or you can put cable stoppers and run only the cable through the frame. You would ideally use a plastic sleeve for the cable that is inside the frame, which is something that was not included.

I discovered that while brake cable ferrules may seem to stop in the frame port holes, they will pull through once some braking force is applied. Is a "cable stopper" a separate part that needs to be added?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Cable stoppers that big?

Jeremy i couldn't find any cable stopper that were big enough to not slide through the holes in the frame; I've been meaning to ask what part those holes are designed to work with. Since I ran housing the entire way it's not been a big deal to me; but I figured someone might want to know.

I'm keeping a spare tube; patch kit; and road rash kit in the hollow of frame; so the housing helps; but still enquiring minds still wonder.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
My .02 -
A continuous run of

My .02 -

A continuous run of housing will save a lot of headache in the long run and actually be smoother over a longer time since there are less entry points for dust/moisture/etc.

It also makes replacing a broken or too-frayed cable a million times easier in this case with continuous housing.

:)

Robert

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
+1
"A continuous run of

+1

"A continuous run of housing will save a lot of headache in the long run and actually be smoother over a longer time since there are less entry points for dust/moisture/etc.

It makes replacing a broken or too-frayed cable a million times easier in this case with continuous housing. "

I too ran cable housing through the frame on my build for the same reasons Robert outlined above.

Jeremy S

Dude
I went with continuous

I went with continuous housing for now, but I don't like the way the housing pulls in and out of the frame, changing the amount of bend. I'm still curious if there is a way to get the frame ports to work as cable stops (partly practical, partly just intellectual curiosity). Maybe something like this is needed:

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=46818&category=1613

Doesn't look like the right shape, though.