Rules of the road

Cruzbiker

I have an American friend who used to say "Forget San Francisco, Las Vegas, Aspen....the nicest town in the USA is Bloomington Il".
For years I have been dreaming of visiting Bloomington and now the dream will come true! End July I'll visit Bloomington together with my Quest!
I never road a bike in the USA and I don't want to have any problems. How are the rules for riding bicycles in the USA?
For example, if I am in a neighborhood with a nice sidewalk and no one walking on it. May I ride on the sidewalk, or bikes on sidewalks are prohibited?
How do I distinguish between a pure sidewalk and a shareable sidewalk?
May I ride any trail, or are bike trails specifically identified?
When on a road (in town or outside), must I ride on the usually dirt shoulder, in the middle of the lane or stay as far to the right as possible when there is no shoulder?
In case I have to go straight through a crossing. Do I have to stop and wait until no car is turning to the right, or can I keep pedalling and go straight through and the drivers turning right will stop for me (as is usual in Europe) and not run over me?
In case I have to turn left on a crossing; do I get out of the bike and push it as if I was a pedestrian, or I can enter the lane turning left? In case I can enter the left lane, how do I position myself; in the middle of the lane as if I was on a motorcycle? Besides the first car in the lane?
Any hints are welcome.
Thanks.
Vargas

Refer to ratz's post for the 'Rules', but keep a couple things in mind.

1. America is still very much a car culture. In most places bikes and public transit systems are significantly less prioritized. Part of this is due to the distances and population density. Part of it is attidude.

2. As a cyclist it always pays to ride defensively. Don't assume the car drivers see you or that they will be polite. Most will be but the minority who will not can be hostile and agressive. Joseph described an incident during the national 24 hour championship where a driver intentionally crossed the median to force him off the road. Err on the side of caution.

3. Have fun.

jond

Zen MBB Master
excellent advice abbott and ratz. here in australia too cyclists are the victims of populace bashing of the lycra from sectors that should know better eg media.

but cycling is becoming more and more popular and the debate is taking place. cultural change is required and a bit of good old mutual respect from a minority to a minority.

or better yet dedicated cycle ways everywhere........... i can dream.