S30 compatible cranksets

I've got two MegaExo BB-6200 bottom brackets that came with my FSA Energy compact cranksets so I'd like to use those. What are some compatible cranksets? Obvoiusly the FSA energy compact crankset, but they only make crank lengths down to 165 mm. I'd love to find a 160 mm crankset. Any ideas?

It looks like the Sugino OX901d would work but they're expensive.

RAR

Redline BMX cranks, lots of sizes Niagara Bike. 24 mm shafts 68mm BB width ,110BCD. I bought mine on E-Bay for less than Niagara sells them.but I checked with Niagara to make sure they would fit.

Here's what I've found for <=160 mm crank length and MegaExo compatible:
Redline Microline V2 2-pc cranks
Rhythm BMX Expert 2-pc cranks
FSA Vision Trimax TT MegaExo

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Not sure about MegaExo BB compatibilty but these come with a BB anyway: www.cobbcycling.com , go to store/accessories/cranksets. Compact and standard bcd available down to 145mm cranks. They are currently out of the 155mm compact. May seem pricey but are very high quality, come with chainrings unlike some of the Redline sets, and save yourself the trouble of mixing and matching.

Last edited:

telephd

Guru
RAR, Ive got a set of the Redline Microline cranks. They are 110mm BCD but only support 1 chainring. Had a BROL member suggest filing a groove in the front side of the arm to allow double chainring install. Ive not worked up the courage to file in a groove. Are your running yours single or double chainring?

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Joking aside, they are not cheap. But when i started adding up the cost of ready-made short cranks that might or might not support more than one chain ring, plus the chain rings themselves; or, the cost of a good set of Rival cranks, then shipping, then shipping them to be shortened, then the cost of getting them shortened, and shipping back, and the time delay...... then they suddenly appeared to be a better value than at first. And they had just the size i needed based on the recumbent crank size calculator, and a set of round rings to dial things in with. In short, for me, it was an easily justifiable expense ;-)

The shorter cranks have made getting a good fit immensely easier, to boot.

SamP

Guru
Aren't bottom brackets relatively inexpensive? Perhaps instead of striving to find a crankset that works with the bottom bracket you have, you should be looking for a crankset & bottom bracket (if necessary) that meets your needs at a cost you can live with.

Note that bikesmith design sells FSA Gossamer cranksets shortened to 151mm, you might ask him for a price without a bottom bracket.

RAR

RAR, Ive got a set of the Redline Microline cranks. They are 110mm BCD but only support 1 chainring. Had a BROL member suggest filing a groove in the front side of the arm to allow double chainring install. Ive not worked up the courage to file in a groove. Are your running yours single or double chainring?
Double

telephd

Guru
No mods, 150mm arms, 50/34 rings. Steel chain ring bolts. Testing on hills tomorrow.
Let us know how they work. Do you remember the model of the cranks. As I said I bought the Microline on the advice that they were double compatable but they are only single without surgery.

RAR

Let us know how they work. Do you remember the model of the cranks. As I said I bought the Microline on the advice that they were double compatable but they are only single without surgery.
Microline 2-piece crank arm set w/bb. Mine doesn't have small ring step on the arms, but I think it isn't necessary. I live in the flat lands of SE North Carolina so I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

telephd

Guru
Microline 2-piece crank arm set w/bb. Mine doesn't have small ring step on the arms, but I think it isn't necessary. I live in the flat lands of SE North Carolina so I haven't had a chance to test it yet.
Thanks RAR. Im interested to see how that small chain ring works out with just the bolts holding it on and no step/notch on the arms. I wonder if the torque will make it want to rotate or loosen the bolts.

RAR

Thanks RAR. Im interested to see how that small chain ring works out with just the bolts holding it on and no step/notch on the arms. I wonder if the torque will make it want to rotate or loosen the bolts.
Teleph, yesterday's test proved that the step is necessary to get the right spacing between the rings so it will shift properly. Some times it would shift fine other times the chain would fall between the rings. Depended on where the chain was on the cassette. No visible movement of inner ring. { It's not going anywhere with five properly tightened bolts}

telephd

Guru
Teleph, yesterday's test proved that the step is necessary to get the right spacing between the rings so it will shift properly. Some times it would shift fine other times the chain would fall between the rings. Depended on where the chain was on the cassette. No visible movement of inner ring. { It's not going anywhere with five properly tightened bolts}

thanks again RAR, I had some comms with a fellow on BROL and he said that he took a file and cut in the notches. I was going to send my Microlines back but decided to keep them and try the file. Have been contemplating trying to find a machine shop to do the job but just might break out the #10 bastard.