S30 derailleur hangar

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
The more interesting question

The more interesting question is; can that "new end" be put on to a Silvo 2.x chain stay to upgrade the older version. I suspect quite a few of us would queue up to order the upgrade.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Strange.I got an S30, but

Strange.

I got an S30, but the derailleur hanger definitely just falls out. when I remove the wheel.

I'll try the other one, I guess. Perhaps that one will have more interference and less chance of falling out!

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
The more interesting question

The more interesting question is; can that "new end" be put on to a Silvo 2.x chain stay to upgrade the older version. I suspect quite a few of us would queue up to order the upgrade.

+1 - please say yes!!!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
YES for me too as a S30 56%

YES for me too as a S30 56% stiffer front end than on a Silvio V1.0 45 degree rear seat, would be a good touring bike with its Disc brake front and 56% stiffer boom!!!

The Silvio V1.0 front end could then go on the Quest V1.0 to get a 40% stiffer front end, with rim front brakes (OK in the dry) and Disk rear brakes for the wet days.

ratz

Just the ends would be great

Actually I wasn't thing the whole front end; just this particular piece.
Even with the change to 11 speed support; these would seem to be cross bike compatible.

Perhaps Robert can comment on whether they made extra ones and if they will work.
Having just moved a Silvo on to the kickr this weekend I was reacquainted with the PITA
it is when the wheel is removed; and the front end comes completely apart.

It should be noted that the Vendetta doesn't have nearly the problem due to the way
the front ends are put together.

DSC03838.jpg height:399px;

DSC03957.jpg height:399px;

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
I can comment that we do not

I can comment that we do not have a bunch of those around as far as converting old bikes to the new DR. We do have plenty of the older spare DR hangers however.

In my personal opinion, the fact that the hanger came out of the older versions was never that much of a hassle, especially if someone is using a type 2 SRAM rear derailleur, and are in the proper gear when trying to change a tire - you would be shocked at how many times I have come across a cyclist trying to remove/insert their drive wheel while in the biggest cog and or the biggest chainring therefore having the maximum tension on the DR spring. Ugh.

Actually, I liked the fact it came out - I could lock the cage, take the entire thing out, and then just carefully stand my bike on its front end on the road or shop floor and it would sit there upright with no worries about damaging the DR. With the press fit, that is not possible. So to me - this is one convenience exchanged for another.

I have not found changing a front tire on these bikes any harder than any other bike, and easier than some.

Robert

Cruzbike Chris

Hooray Club member signup #2

exactly what Bob Said. On the stand no problem. In a ditch last week with a flat front trying to get it to even stay stood up was a challenge much less the potential for possibly loosing that little piece. I did remember to bring extra wire ties since every time I put it on my trainer it almost splits it in half. Yes, a wire tie does help most of the time if you have one in your emergency bag. But, a permanent solution is worth the thought and I'm sure an extra order for sure.

My 2 Cents

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Great feedback above and duly

Great feedback above and duly noted.

All points aside - my hope is that the future designs will see the use of a standard off the shelf derailleur

?hanger that is bolted on (like every other bike in the world) and not a specifically manufactured one.

:)

Robert

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
That's weird...it's the opposite for me

That's weird...it's the opposite for me, my Silvio is much easier to work with than my Vendetta when dealing with the non-press fit!

Edited to correct my lazy fingers!

ratz

Hi RobertWe get the trade

Hi Robert

We get the trade offs; it's just for some of us the old non pressfit is highly non-optimal; I'll elaborate not to be argumentative but more to share some examples of why it's a problem some of us would like to retro-fix.

To be clear to others following on along this a non-issue on my Vendetta; on the Vendetta 2.0 with a little caution the dropout and derailluer stay put until the screwer is back in. My references are all Silvio 2.x specific, but I've never worked on a V1. So if you have a Vendetta and never have a problem I'm not surprised and I would agree with you if you said so.

So

In our basement I have to swap out two Silvios onto and off of the Kickr each day if we want to train on them. I specifically consumed a Quest Frame to leave on the Kickr because it's so impractical to do the Silvios daily. That's an extreme case but it does highlight the problem; I'm seriously considering a second Kickr to solve that problem. That should illusratre that I have to be pretty annoyed to consider such an extreme solution but the Kickr is cheaper than the extra consumed Quest frame. My other problem would be that because it's loose; it eats away at the edge of the bracket over time from just the act of installing the wheel or removing the wheel while you try to get everything together.

It should also be noted that when a Di2 derailuer falls out; it hangs from the Electric wires. 90% of the time that wire pops out due to chain force and derailluer weight. This is bad for two reasons; it's going to cause that connector to fail or short out; and there's a high degree of chance that dirt or water could get in the port. If that happens best case you are stranded on the side of the road with no shifting. Worst case you are replacing a $190 component. Now I know the 2.0 bike wasn't' designed for Di2. I'm more pointing that out for completeness of the problem set.

In the more general sense, Definitely those cage locks help. Unfortunately they don't offer those on Di2 or most of the other road components. Probably the best recommendation is to use a type 2 if it works for anyone specing from scratch. Hopefully cage locks will become the wave of the future.

For the rest of use the reality is that in a ditch on the side of the road is the worst possible time to have that hanger thing fall out, if it was optimal all other bikes would not have it bolted to the frame and nor would the Quest. So time has pointed us to the optimal setup. In the grass we are going to turn the bike upside down in most cases. From my experience the in the ditch scenario is so different from working on the bike in a bike stand (where I never have a problem). I have never been calm nor paitent changing a tire in a ditch. Anyone that is; I admire you, I'm an immature 10 year old when it happens to me.... Each time I have changed the wheel without breaking the chain the the derailluer would up with a serpentine twist in it that's annoying as heck in the shop to sort out; on the side of the road it's a review of words I don't teach my kids. Putting the derailleur in the 11T gear obviously makes it easier. But dusty, sweaty, and standing in 90F sun it's the biggest frustration possible.

I suspect that there is a small group of us that are riding 3000+ outdoor miles a year that would love that upgrade if it fit the frames. I also suspect that most of us would be completely content to give you our names for a list and when you do the next production run you just ordered extra. That way you don't have to dig into your spares inventory for an unexpected supply need. Fixing it in 10 months is better than never fixing it. We can call this the Horray club; because I'm pretty sure everyone in that group cheers out loud when they get the wheel changed without incident.

Personally to me it's worth $100 to fix that per bike I'm not sure how others feel but it's personally that important as all the items I can damage when it falls out cost that or more.

In the meantime I'm carrying; a ChainBreaker; spare masterlink; and I'll be Gorilla Gluing them in place again this spring. Apparently if you are noob (this noob raises his hand) and remove the wheel in the wrong gear occasionally the gorrilla glue isn't quite strong enough; if it lets go (Rashin' fashin' Rick Rastardly!)

That and I really would like to teach the wife how to change her own wheel; given the miles she's logged training; I'm not sure I want to be on the receiving end of her swearing like a sailor in the ditch when it takes me 45 minutes to the spot of her breakdown.... and we all know when Mommy's not happy daddy has to do a 30 minute post pleading for help
regular_smile.gif

Ok so that's that; Please understand I'm smiling typing this it's meant as a constructive counter point; it bugs me; not enough to sell the bike and get a S30 (just not a white bike guy), but annoying enough to move enough to take the time to plead for a better fix.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Well I either need to clean

Well I either need to clean my chain and cassette more often or Steve needs to ride more...

tongue_smile.gif

I like that clip idea. I'll have to go look at the bike and ponder it some more...

-Eric

ratz

Now I get it

Now I get it I couldn't figure out how the metal one worked.

I'll have to post my chain breaker in a photo later; between that; clip and the break I might have a solution.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Robert--
That is good to

Robert--

That is good to hear! It'd be a nice improvement if the derailleur hangar was bolted on or was a one-piece thing (which would work because you just have to undo one bolt to switch out the one part for another if the hangar gets destroyed).

On a more current note, the other press-in hangar seems to work better for me on my s30. It hasn't fallen out so far. I think I may have unintentionally abused the first one a bit while figuring out front-end setups.