S30 Review on BROL

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Seems like a pretty fair review.

If I were new on the market and just starting to learn about recumbents - this review (and good pictures) would make we want one.

Interested to see that he even made a comparison to the Encore - a true high-racer.
[fanboy] that speaks highly of the S30 [/fanboy].

Nice job team!

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
BROL says it takes mudguards.

BROL says it takes mudguards. I have yet to figure out how to put them on my Silvio 2. BROL says all you have to do is put the handlebars on. I had a lot of trouble assembling my Silvio 2. Those who are new to Cruzbike should consider themselves cosseted.

BROL says you can put 11-speed on it. I have just put 11-speed on my Silvio 2. Xx1, actually, and I like it.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Has anyone received a V3.0

Has anyone received a V3.0 yet, and tried a 700 * 28 tyre on a 24 wide OD 19 ID rim, on the rear, and how much clearance is there!!!!

SS

baov

I'd be interested to know the

I'd be interested to know the width of the fork cause i'll be running 650b so even a 42 would stilll not be as tall as a 700c 28 yet.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Rick - what is the difference

Rick - what is the difference between V2.1 and Vendetta TT.
Superslim also mentioned V3 above in comment #3. Is there a series 3 Vendetta now?

baov

I'd hope a 650b 38 at least,

I'd hope a 650b 38 at least, 32 isn't that much bigger than 28. I run 700c 38 (the Barlow Pass, by Compass) on my DF and still the roads of Montreal rattle my bones. It's that bad.

mzweili

Guru
the roads of Montreal rattle my bones

baov,
have you already compared the ridequality Silvio vs. DF?
Even with 700c23 tires, the Silvio rides much smoother than a DF because of the weight distribution.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I'd be interested to know the

I'd be interested to know the width of the fork cause i'll be running 650b so even a 42 would stilll not be as tall as a 700c 28 yet.
650Bx42mm is not as tall, correct, but it's pretty dang fat. I have a set of 42mm tires mounted on 650B rim's and I can confirm that they will defiantly NOT fit the Silvio 2.1 in the rear or front. They are just too fat. But perhaps 650B x 32mm will fit. 650B equiped with 32mm supple tires fitted to a Silvio with it's front and rear suspension has got to be S M O O T H !

I'm currently running 28mm supple tires (Compass Cycle Tires) on both S2.1 and Vendetta TT. I just recently switch to supple 28's on the V and they have done a great job at taming the chipseal on some of my harsh routes.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Oops "Rick - what is the

Oops " Rick - what is the difference between V2.1 and Vendetta TT. " Sorry typo, should read "...S2.1 and Vendetta TT..." Corrected above.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
baov,
have you already

baov,
have you already compared the ridequality Silvio vs. DF?
Even with 700c23 tires, the Silvio rides much smoother than a DF because of the weight distribution.

I was going to mention that also! Some folks are forgetting when you include the Silvio's suspension into the mix. The ride already starts plush with 23-25mm tires. You add in 28mm supple tires and you got yourself a Cadillac ride. Take it a step further with 650B and 32mm supple tires now you have a Cadillac with an air ride. Going from 28mm to 32mm is adding much more air volume to tire, plus they can be run at a lower pressure.

My Silvio has a better quality ride equipped with 28mm supple tires than my MetaBike did with 650B x 42mm tires, but without the subtle loss of speed. Further more, when I ran 32mm vs. 42mm on the MetaBike, the ride quality difference was not much to speak of. I have some pretty bad/old/patched/chipseal roads around here I ride.

baov

I haven't ridden a Silvio. I

I haven't ridden a Silvio. I do have a v2k Softrider with 26x2.15 big apples i run at 50psi. The rear suspension has some give and it'll spare you the big bump but doesn't dampen much the high frequency vrrrrrr that comes after.
Does the Silvio feel better than the Sofrider?

I also want the fatter tires to climb my local mountain through a dirt road / loose gravel, and to go into national parks. Sofrider does fine, but it's kinda heavy.

Here in Montreal, we plow the shit outta our roads every winter. I get jealous every time i watch videos of people riding their bikes in the warm states.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
And there there is...

Baov,

Don't get too jealous; in the warm states; suspension is useless when the tire sinks into melting tar. :) And we only have to look west for our weather; none of that sneaky stuff coming up from behind while you ride.

To add to Rick's thoughts. Put Tubeless 25mm at 90-100psi on a Silvio and you are so far and ahead of a DF it's silly. By comparison I find the Silvio 2.1 with good 25mm tubless tires to be a smoother ride than a Quest 20" with stock tires even when hitting the manhole covers while conducting spandex evaluations.

mzweili

Guru
dirt road / loose gravel

''to climb my local mountain through a dirt road / loose gravel''
baov,
I don't think that the Silvio or the Vendetta are suitable bikes for such trails.
These are basically fast road bikes.

baov

Marc, by local mountain with

Marc, by local mountain with dirt road, I mean the Mont-Royal, if that gives you an idea. It doesn't take a mountain bike to go up that thing. Just a cyclo-cross bike. Which is why I want to put those big tires on the Silvio.

BTW Marc, how much import duty did you have to pay yours?

super slim

Zen MBB Master
The 40mm air bag front

The 40mm air bag front suspension on the Silvio is 300% better than the 25mm steel spring ?front suspension on the Softrider or Quest!

My Sivio V1.0 (designed for 25 mm) has 28 mm slick tyres on it, with a bit of filing of the rear fork crown, and the ride AND handling improvement on rough bitumen roads compared to 23 mm tyres blew me away.

The Silvio 3.0 is designed for 28 mm tyres with 3mm extra fork crown clearance over the V2.0, and ? ? mm over the V1.0, so a 32 mm tyre MIGHT fit with a bit of work!

The V3.0 are now shipping on Oct 15th, so soon after that there will be LOTS of reports on the new builds!

If you weigh 75 kgs(165 lbs), then the recommended tyres pressures for 15% tyre deflection, for optimum ride and Mininium rolling resistance is 90 psi for a 25 mm tyre, 75 psi for a 28 mm tyre, and 60 psi for a 32 mm tyre!

The Silvio V3.0 has a 27 degree rear seat rest that might not be as good for gravel roads as the approx. 45 deg of the Softrider??
I have a Silvio V1.0 with a 45 deg seat, and a Softrider and Quest ?with 45 deg seats, so I do not know!

My experience on loose gravel roads are NOT good, as I have had LOTS of practice at riding the bike to the ground (Ratz style), with bruises and rashes on hips, shoulders, elbows and knees, BUT no broken bones! YET