S40 Dream Build

3WHELZ

Guru
I am planning to retire my Silvio 1.0 at the end of this ride season, and have begun to contemplate my next build, a S40. The Campy triple on my 1.0 certainly offers range, but I am wanting to simplify the drivetrain. Assuming that XSHIFTER successfully delivers their solution, my thought would be a hybrid combination of SRAM MTB and Road components, since the XSHIFTER would eliminate the compatibility issue. Whether a MTB 10-40t rear cassette and derailleur and Road front end components can be paired, remains unknown. To further complicate this quasi “Frankenstein” collection of components, I am think of installing Shimano R785 hydraulic brakes or maybe TRP Hy/Rd a disc brake system.

Since the S40 has no suspension, my thought is that 28mm tires are required at a minimum absorb the road conditions. I almost exclusively ride on the road, but do appreciate the 1.0’s suspension.

I have not given much thought to wheels, and I am definitely looking for advice for a wheel that accepts 28mm or larger tire. On the rolling hills here in N.VA, I typically average 16-17 mpg over 30-50 miles, so I am far from being a speedster. Those days were lost a few decades ago.

Your input is greatly welcomed!

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I too am waiting for xshifter. From what I have read I think the s40 can take even bigger tires than 28mm. Xshifter is getting to market soon. I have been drooling all summer with drop chain symptoms. As soon as xshifter arrives the front mesh goes on. Can't wait :cruzbike::cruzbike::cruzbike:

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I too am waiting for xshifter. From what I have read I think the s40 can take even bigger tires than 28mm. Xshifter is getting to market soon. I have been drooling all summer with drop chain symptoms. As soon as xshifter arrives the front mesh goes on. Can't wait :cruzbike::cruzbike::cruzbike:
Xshifter announced yesterday that they would be at Interbike, teaming with "Morf", a handlebar manufacturer who makes movable bits for handlebars...probably a great pairing as Xshifter eliminates cables on the bars, etc. Would be very cool (as I've mentioned before) if Cruzbike would team with Xshifter for the Recumbent Cycle Con that is coming up Oct. 6-8.

I've been thinking along all of the above lines for an S40 too. Certainly larger width tires (32-35, something like that). I'm very happy with my TRP HY/RD brakes on the V20 but I'll be testing the TRP Spyre mechanicals soon on the T50. I would like to have a taller hill-climbing gear (than what I have on the V20)...but unsure at the moment what I would go with. I like my compact double FD but I think a few more teeth would help...maybe the SRAM 11-42 would be sufficient.

3WHELZ

Guru
Well, I have begun to develop a list that is not quite complete and contains some components that may not yet be available, but at least it is a start. The Efneo’s GTRO Gearbox simplifies the drivetrain allowing for a a tremendous gear ratio.
  • S-40 frameset
  • Cruzbike Carbon Fiber Race Case
  • Ventisit seat pad
  • SRAM GX Eagle™ Rear Derailleur (12s) or GX 1x11 X-HORIZON Rear Derailleur
  • SRAM XG-1275 Eagle Cassette (12s) or XG-1175 FULL PIN Cassette (11s)
  • Efneo’s GTRO Gearbox
  • XSHIFTER E-LinkPro
  • Hydraulic Brakes 160mm front and rear (SRAM or Shimano)
  • Wheels???
  • Tires (minimum width 28c)

rx7mark

Guru
The only issue I see with the Efneo GTRO, besides the price, is the 170mm crank arm length. I would want a 155-160mm length, but you could check with bikesmith to see if he could shorten them.

Mark

3WHELZ

Guru
Yes, that is true. I currently have 170mm crank arms on my 1.0 that came with the Campy triple. With all of the recumbents and DFs that I have had over the years, I cannot say that I have experience riding with shorter crank arms, although I know many swear by them.

Rod Butler

At the narrowest point the S40 fork is 47mm. I have Velocity Aileron Rims (36h), Hope Pro4 hubs (I'm in the UK) with a 9mm 'bolt on' through axle. Using near new 28mm Schwalbe Marathon tires.
This bike may have a rough time touring so I'm trying to tough it up in a reasonable price range. You could probably go up to 38mm on those rims and that fork.