S40 for randonneuring

LMT

The S40 build I have was to take the frameset and add the bits from my CAAD12 plus some Ksyrium Pro SL Disks that I had to hand after fitting out the V20 with Carbon Cosmics.

So at presentI have Ultegra hydro 22sp, 52/36 Q Rings. As I fitted the tailbox to my V20 as well I also fitted the cage mount to the back of the headrest. Also fitted a pannier rack just I can commute to work.

Would this set work on a brevet? For sure, I just like the speed of my V20 too much, having said that the S40 is more fun to ride, the shorter wheelbase means more stable at slower speeds, easier to filter and you can throw it about a bit more through the corners.

I'll post a review and some pictures in a couple of weeks.

Uphill

Clearly I'm going to have a conversation with Customs & HMR.
I am new to UK and paid up! Thanks.

It looks like you have paid roughly twice what I would expect it to come to, depending on the shipping cost? Did it come in more than one shipment with each box having the full invoice amount on it? Did it have the correct import codes used for frame and / or forks? The duty is quite different for those compared to the import duty for a full bike.

Uphill

The S40 build I have was to take the frameset and add the bits from my CAAD12 plus some Ksyrium Pro SL Disks that I had to hand after fitting out the V20 with Carbon Cosmics.

So at presentI have Ultegra hydro 22sp, 52/36 Q Rings. As I fitted the tailbox to my V20 as well I also fitted the cage mount to the back of the headrest. Also fitted a pannier rack just I can commute to work.

Would this set work on a brevet? For sure, I just like the speed of my V20 too much, having said that the S40 is more fun to ride, the shorter wheelbase means more stable at slower speeds, easier to filter and you can throw it about a bit more through the corners.

I'll post a review and some pictures in a couple of weeks.

I always have my practical head on and like to be able to use my bikes for multiple purposes. With brevets I do not necessarily want to be the fastest. Just to be fast enough that it remains enjoyable and gives me enough time to enjoy my stops.

nobrakes

It looks like you have paid roughly twice what I would expect it to come to, depending on the shipping cost? Did it come in more than one shipment with each box having the full invoice amount on it? Did it have the correct import codes used for frame and / or forks? The duty is quite different for those compared to the import duty for a full bike.

You pay duty on everything including the postage. VAT is 20%, import duty is more and there’s a fee on top of that. It came to a bit more than 30% of the entire price for me on my frameset import. The exchange rate doesn’t help! It is very expensive.

nobrakes

Shipping was $250. They seem to apply another fee on top of duty and vat. Maybe I need to reinvestigate.

Uphill

Shipping was $250. They seem to apply another fee on top of duty and vat. Maybe I need to reinvestigate.

I work it out as £464.39 for the total of import duty and VAT based on the customs exchange rate for October. So the extra fee looks like £216 which seems a bit steep considering you have already paid for shipping.

Rod Butler

I saved a bit on the shipping by a freight forwarding Co from the US. I 'll do my sums as time permits.

By the way, I had the thought of putting a seat post style quick release on the boom for easier seating access/egress (?)
Slide it down, jump on, bring it back and clip it in. What could possibly go wrong??

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I saved a bit on the shipping by a freight forwarding Co from the US. I 'll do my sums as time permits.

By the way, I had the thought of putting a seat post style quick release on the boom for easier seating access/egress (?)
Slide it down, jump on, bring it back and clip it in. What could possibly go wrong??
You still need to loosen BB clamps and front wheel QR.

Uphill

I would just be wary of catching your leg on the QR when riding. I had a zip tie on my current recumbent that I kept catching my leg on when pedalling. Had to move it to stop it rubbing the skin into a sore over the length of a long brevet.

Bill K

Guru
Maybe you could use an mtb dropper seatpost. Bolt the handlebar to the dropper seatpost and it slides in and out of the boom. No boom adjustment needed.
My thinking is that you will not want or need it after a month or two of riding. I remember banging my chest into the handlebar, but it hasn't happened to me in over a year now.