sealing Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Frank what ratz is kind of saying is that there is no correct answer only suggestion and options based on experience. You setup your tires fresh and then run them till you get a flat or about 1-3 months depending on weather. If that flat doesn't seal then maybe you waited too long to add fresh Sealant and you know better for next time. If it seals at full pressure then add a little Sealant to replace what you lost and go another
1-3 months. If the flat doesn't hold at full pressure you'll need to pull off the tires and do a patch job then fresh Sealant again.

Every time I pull off my tire I try and strip away as much dried Sealant from the inside of the tire as I can but how much time you spend doing this is up to you. I'm a bit more of a perfectionist so I spend more time then the average person.

It's my opinion that all Sealants effectiveness starts to drop after 2-3 weeks due to the clotting particles sticking to the tire and not flowing with the liquid. If you get a nail sized puncture after a month and it seals at full pressure then count yourself luck. I expect the Sealant to protect me from goat heads and those fine steel wires you randomly pick up from some asshole running their car tires down to the steel cords.

I always drain, strip and add new Sealant before any of my big races to be sure my race falls within that most effective 3 week period.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Time, miles, temperature, and sidewall permeability impact the sealant's lifetime

I had 80 ml of Orange Regular in 700x35 times and rode approx. 1300 miles in 110-120F in about a week before getting a flat. The sealant was completely hardened up. Gone. Zero.

Under my normal conditions I top up in 4-6 weeks, which would be about the midpoint in a tire's life for me.

I understand the endurance formulation lasts longer but YMMV

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Thanks, Bob. In the schedule you mention are you referring to (spring, mid-summer, etc) are you referring to Orange regular or Endurance sealant? I ordered some regular because of the increased sealing, but maybe should use Endurance for less frequent changes?

Endurance.

If it's a big event like sebring I'll redo the tires with Orange regular to ensure the best setup for the event.

So I had been toying around with the idea of making my own pressure vessel from a discarded fire extinguisher as per a guide online or a soda stream canister that I have but it was my birthday after Christmas I thought why not get the Airshot.

First impressions are very good. I had mixed results using CO2 and always was a little annoyed "wasting" one of my 100 canisters I bought before pressure vessels were as common / cheap and I was having tubeless issues. I also find the 2 CO2 inflators I have used to be pretty finicky and this is far more robust.

I didn't show the gauge after but it settled at 80psi which is what I run but you can pump it up through the vessel without disconnecting your pump which is handy. I had to unmount and remount the wheel as I put it on backwards (I miss the old non directional schwalbes but wouldn't give up the pro). The second time I lost more air sealing the rim but it was easy to pump up. Previously with CO2 I often had to quickly connect my pump (which screws on) to continue to inflate while losing pressure so I didn't have to start again.

This is going to be a game changer as I will now refresh my sealant as per recommended and not worry about it all going to shit (my front tire had no sealant other than a thin coating around the tire).

Oh I did some how break the "adapter" that screws in place of the valve core to allow unimpeded airflow. It is stuck inside my valve it just spins but does not screw out. Luckily I had to buy a new valve extender as I broke one on the side of the road and had to buy a pair so I can use the other one and the Airshot also screws on to a valve without the adapter which worked fine also. I will have to contact Airshot to work out if I can get it out and keep the valve extender as a spare

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
what did the pressure set at when it sealed? You started with 150 but I'd want to make sure 150 doesn't bead the tire at 120 because then you can have other excessive pressure issues. I'm sure your setup is fine but if some tries the same with a larger canister at 150 psi it could blow up the tire and rim. Good job by the way

what did the pressure set at when it sealed? You started with 150 but I'd want to make sure 150 doesn't bead the tire at 120 because then you can have other excessive pressure issues. I'm sure your setup is fine but if some tries the same with a larger canister at 150 psi it could blow up the tire and rim. Good job by the way
It set at 80psi, I stated at 140psi airshot recommends 120-140

Lief

Guru Schmuru
A) What an amazing resource you guys are.
A1) I found this page by a GOOGLE SEARCH for repair tubeless tires.
B) I have a set of tubeless tires I inherited from...um...a team of crazy people who last used the tires in summer of 2017.
C) This tubeless noob (is that a nubeless?) figured there must be a lifespan of Orange sealant.
--AND--
D) I've gone quite a bit further than 4-6 weeks before I've got a hole that won't seal.

I guess it's time to remove the wheel and (stop sucking off the experts) and learn how to put together some tubeless tires.

Thanks for all the good info here.