Seat Mod

twhbent

I'm very happy with my Thor seat. Also was very impressed with the order/shipping of the Ventisit pad. Placed the order early on a Thursday and received the pad on the following Monday.
Even from the Netherlands, amazing.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Looks kind of strange. Do thèse wings really give some support?
Yes it does look strange Marc! I believe it gives some extra support in the shoulder area as well as the bum area, but I will know more once I get a hold a Ventisit pad that correctly fits the seat.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
When seeing the first photo of the Thor seat on the Silvio, I thought it was the winged keel of Australia II, that won the Americas Cup in 1983, after being is USA for 132 years!!!!!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winged_keel

Can you still use the side bottle holders on the seat bag?
Any photos of you on the bike from behind to see the shoulder seat interface?
Could a much wider seat bag be used, that also had some aero benefits?

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Can you still use the side bottle holders on the seat bag?
Any photos of you on the bike from behind to see the shoulder seat interface?
Could a much wider seat bag be used, that also had some aero benefits?
Yes, bottle holders are still usable. Also I was thinking with a different seat bag, like the one I currently have mounted on the Vendetta without holders, I can attach bottle cages directly to the back of each shoulder wing.

I don't have photos of me from behind, but I can tell you there is no shoulder seat interference.

I think there are a lot of options for seat backs from Rans and Hostel Shoppe, even small backpacks.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Nice work, folks. I've never been a big fan of the seat; I need more shoulder area support. I also want to use one of these to move my hips and upper body forward on my S2.0 to reduce the distance between the steering axis and the grips, so I do a better job of going in a straight line. Your mounting solutions are very elegant.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Nice work, folks. I've never been a big fan of the seat; I need more shoulder area support. I also want to use one of these to move my hips and upper body forward on my S2.0 to reduce the distance between the steering axis and the grips, so I do a better job of going in a straight line. Your mounting solutions are very elegant.
Thanks Doug, especially hearing it from from you. The seat mod/replacement can diffidently give you what you are looking for and the cost if purchased from Thor is more than reasonable. He builds on demand, so it can take 2-3 weeks.

Ventisit now has a pad for the Thor Carrier seat, I should have mine within a week and will post pics.
340813629.jpg

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Got the new Ventisit seat pad for the Thor Carrier seat. I'm happy they were able to fabricate it in one piece. Originally they though it may have to be a 2-peice pad due to the complex-compound curves in the seat.

The Ventisit-Carrier combination is darn comfortable, and does in fact give the added upper body support especially in the shoulder area.

Some Pics -->

Seat-Mod2.jpg

Seat-Mod3.jpg

Also I'm on course for my next (real-ratz) winter project. A hard shell seat box prototype. First I'm constructing it out of ABS - I'm not a fabricator, so this will be a learning curve for me with lots of mistakes, and maybe a 2 or 3 abs models before moving into carbon fiber - never worked with carbon fiber either, so another learning curve. Anyway, here is the first shell prototype not to be unveiled just yet.

Vendetta hard shell tail box.jpg

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Carbon fiber caution:

Carbon fiber is conductive.
One of my old customers is a carbon fiber manufacturing facility.
I used to repair their high voltage power supply, which used to short
out a lot due to errant airborne carbon fiber filaments.
So, keep your workplace clean and well ventilated... and mind your electronics.

Have fun, wear disposable gloves, disposable clothing and a face mask!

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Carbon fiber caution:
Thanks Steve. Once or if, I get to the point of working with carbon fiber, I will need to understand all of the dangers and harmful effects and how to be safe and use caution. However I did no know it was conductive, good info, thanks.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Rick,
any chance of a rear quarter photo of you on the Silvio to see the shoulder seat interface, and ribs to seat interface, to see the Aero effect.

Is the tailbox going to be designed for the Carrier seat?

And also Rick, what is your current impression of the Thor G Sport on the Vendetta. You've had it for about 7 or 8 weeks now. Any update?

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
any chance of a rear quarter photo of you on the Silvio to see the shoulder seat interface, and ribs to seat interface, to see the Aero effect.
Is the tailbox going to be designed for the Carrier seat?
SS, see below for rear pic. EDIT, the tail box I'm attempting to construct will be for the Vendetta...but one for the Carrie seat may be another wet winter project.
what is your current impression of the Thor G Sport on the Vendetta
Doug, I like the Thor GS seat, it fits me well and is comfortable. Compared to the Hostel Shoppe seat, it's lighter, has a slightly wider upper back area, is a little more aero due to the fact it is a little more reclined in the upper back, and is $100 less (includes shipping). It is very similar to the Bacchetta carbon fiber hard shell seat for $250 less, and the aero bags are a perfect fit.

Silvio_Carrier_Seat-1.jpg

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Rick, you look like a film star
even from behind!!!
The seat looks very comfortable
have you been on any long rides since the new pad arrived?

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Rick, you look like a film star
even from behind!!!
SS, I must say, I do look better from behind than from the front :D:D:D!
The seat looks very comfortable
have you been on any long rides since the new pad arrived?
Under 20 miles, we (in Northern CA) are getting a lot more rain (or wet days) than what has been normal, so my rides on the Vendetta and Silvio are limited to dry sky's. But yes the seat/pad combo is almost too comfortable.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Seems like the Thor GS provides a better rear tire spray shield than the standard seat... :p
:D - Eric, actually it's the Carrier seat that has the ultra wide back spray shield. Oder it in Kevlar and ride through some of the gangland's lands of Los Angeles, CA - it's got your back!

mzweili

Guru
yes the seat/pad combo is almost too comfortable.
Rick,
I plan to upgrade my Silvio 2.1 with a Thor seat.
I hesitate between the medium sport (G) 15-34 deg, seat angle and the Carrier 35-60 deg. seat angle.
As per Thor's spec. the sport (G) seat fits more to the Silvio's 27 deg. seat angle.
Due to the fact that when climbing, you pull on the handlebars, I'm not sure if the shoulder support of the Carrier seat gives an advantage.
Also when pushing hard on the pedals, its your vertebral column that acts as support (bridging), and you need the shoulders free for balance and steering
You have both seat, so what is your feeling.
Is the main advantage of the carrier seat confort only?

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
You have both seat, so what is your feeling.
Is the main advantage of the carrier seat confort only?
Hi Marc. The advantage of the Carrier seat (in my opinion) is comfort and utility, which is what I'm using it for. As far as climbing, I can't tell whether is a disadvantage or advantage compared to the other seats I'm tried - I haven't felt impaired when climbing with the Carrier.

Because I am fortunate to also have a Vendetta for sport and speed, I wanted the Silvio to be more utility.

I would recommend for the Silvio to go with the Sport G, this will maintain the sporty-fast concept that the bike was meant to be, and still be comfortable and aero.

I have the Carrier seat set at about 29 deg (under the recommended 35 deg minimum), which is about as low as I can get it without having interference with the seat lip and my thighs ( I have thin thighs, so I can get away with this angle), however the upper back is steeper than the other seats I've used. I tried a more upright position, but prefer more reclined for comfort in my back.