seat pad question

DuncanWatson

I use a VK2 large carbon set on my raptobike. I happen to have a spare zotefoam pad for it.

You can see a picture of on my bike here:
Wenatchee Ride by Watson House, on Flickr

Has anyone use a zotefoam pad on a cruzbike? How different from the VK2 seat is the Vendetta seat?

Lief

Guru Schmuru
I have Zotefoam pad on my Silvio.
It's pretty good - better IMO than the stock foam. It's firmer.
But because of my more upright position it's also a little harder on the compression of glutes - recumbutt after maybe 70 miles *may* occur.

On the Vendetta - more laid back like yours pictured - I recently switched to Ventisit pad and I can't think of any way to improve that short of something massively custom and massively expensive (that may or may not be any better).

It's firm AND it gives (like a leather brooks saddle) AND it's got good breathability.

The Carbon seat pan itself is pretty awesome too and fits the frame REALLY well. I've yet to figure out where I'll sit on it - I only have 100 miles / 6 hours on it.

DuncanWatson

Are you using a comfort Ventisit? I have used a Ventisit in the past, I will likely start with a Ventisit. I just don't want it to be too soft. I like the ability to move around on the set.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Good question, don't know the model.
Robert (or Bob) probably knows.

it's very firm; I wouldn't call it soft at all.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
CB sells the comfort and you can get the standard ones from Ventisit.
I had both (Standard on silvio, and comfort on Vendetta) last season.

On the new Vendetta carbon seat; the standard is comfortable I road on it last night.
On the old seat the comfort was a must for the vendetta.

If racing get the standard; if doing bulk mileage get you what you like; but that said; it's cheaper to get them from CB than it is to order one offs from Ventisit. Wish I'd have had that option when we got all of ours.

If I could have only 1 I would have the comfort. But I do plan to put some mileage on the standard one on the Vendetta this year as a test.

The CB site is out of stock so you could have Robert order a thin one if he can sneak them into his order.

http://www.ventisit.com/en/recumbent-bicycles#!/76x26-18-22-cm-Cruzbike/p/28856169

http://cruzbike.com/cruzbike-ventisit

This is one of the only must upgrades on my list; we have ventisit on every CB in our garage (V, S's, Quests) and extended family. That's a total of 9. You have to currently get the Quest ones from Ventisit.

ratz

Told ya he'd know. :)

Who'da think told Jim P about them ? o_O

In my defense: I've been sitting her all day doing asset documentation for new computer systems sourced from far far far too many separate vendors. You guys are the only thing keeping me from scratching my eyes out.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Are you using a comfort Ventisit? I have used a Ventisit in the past, I will likely start with a Ventisit. I just don't want it to be too soft. I like the ability to move around on the set.
I have a Ventisit seat pad on my Volae carbon seat shell on my Vendetta. My butt feels the same after 100 miles on the Ventisit seat pad as it did when I got on the bike. Can't say that for a DF saddle even after 1 mile. And even better, I have zero problems with back sweat. Just an amazing product.

80 degrees, 84% humidity today - no more sweat than usual :) Only complaint is from Mrs. Axe about my waffle back. Does it get softer over time?

DuncanWatson

I checked with Don Smith and he hasn't made a zotefoam pad for a Vendetta v20 yet. And he is out of foam for a while. So I will do the Ventisit back order.

Ivan_Liew

Any more comments about the standard classic Ventisit (not comfort) on the Vendetta / Silvio / S30 / V20 family? I still have not sprung for one and if I do am wondering to go for classic or comfort?

I currently get slight recumbutt, only sometimes, on longer century rides with stock seat. I have both fiberglass seat and new CF seat on Silvio 2. I don't really need a new seat cushion but almost everyone says the Ventisit is soooo good!

ratz

On the Silvio I like the Classic; Mrs Ratz has Comfort. The Standard gives me more leg room and is plenty comfortable for me with the suspension. On the Vendetta I prefer the comfort I can ride the standard (I use it for Time Trailing) for for long middle the comfort is better.

There is one oddity. I not sure why but the Pads I got directly from Ventisit are a different shape. Early on we got them for the Silvio and Quests directly from Ventisit and they are a perfect match for the shape of the seat. Widthwise they follow the contours perfectly. Then when the Cruzbike store started carrying them at a better price I switched and got some from there for later builds; those are wider less contoured so they hang over the seats a little more not sure the cause.

Mostly so Robert can compare;

these are the Silvio Vendetaa ones we used:
http://www.ventisit.nl/en/?view=ecwid#!/76x26-18-22-cm-Cruzbike/p/28856169

and they are the quest ones.
http://www.ventisit.nl/en/?view=ecwid#!/77x26-21-24-cm-Cruzbike/p/28861155

both are a tad more narrow the the ones in the CB store but they are close enough to not be worth paying the ventisit.nl premium price unless that really really matters to you.

BentAero

A recumbent rider with out a shirt.... eeewww!

Mmmmm... aerobelly. Visualize it with me.

Inspector Ratzgadget turned me on to the Ventisit (comfort) to replace the sponge previously known as the stock seat pad, and it's a true must-have.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
everyone says the Ventisit is soooo good!
I too, use the Ventisit on both the Vendetta and Silvio (on my seat mods). I use the Comfort. I've also used these pads on other recumbent's I've owned. Other than being very comfy, a huge benefit is they are cooler on your undersides in hot weather. I'm personally sold on the Ventisit seat pads, as I am on the Cruzbikes.

Ivan, I believe you ride in a very humid environment and I think a Ventisit would be very beneficial.

Keep in mind, recumbutt may come from very tight extended hamstring bouncing against the seat pan.

My votes for the C:Dmf:Drt!