Seattle To Portland (STP) 2013

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Couple weeks back now but I rode my Silvio 1.0 in the 2013 STP.
165mm cranks compact double 11-26
Running SRAM TT bar end shifters on a regular drop bar.

I rode with a fast recumbent friend, Tim Turner - he's on a Bachetta CA2 with a rear disc wheel.
My training consisted of one hillish - ride (85 miles) 5 wks before the ride, and one flat ride (100 mi) about 3 wks before the ride - and other than that, just commuting up to about 40 miles in a day.

On my personal blog (http://blief.zwise.net/?p=2281) I recorded these details

With TTurner as a lead out and a healthy tailwind I turned in my fastest ever distance ride (over an hour) with an average speed recorded on my CPU at 20.2mph, with a 10h 02m riding time for 203.11 miles starting at 4:45 in the first wave of riders and finishing at some time right around 6PM.
I am pretty much ecstatic about that speed - again, it is largely thanks to the spectacular lead out Tim provided all day as well as a healthy tailwind - I managed any cramping by not pushing hard on the hills.

You can see Tim's Strava.com results here:
http://app.strava.com/activities/67166802

He had a faster overall time, as he creams me up hills (no matter the bike his Watts / Kilogram is in a much more favorable ratio than mine).
We had a BLAST smoking downhills and he just casually rode past huge pacelines of uprights - STILL don't know why more people didn't jump on his/my wheel.

You can see some shots of the ride on http://www.marathonfoto.com/site/homepage - last name Turner / event name = Seattle To Portland Classic 2013. I can't post them here for Copywriting reasons.

I did get some bruises/recumbent butt that lingered for 2 days afterwards - but not debilitating.
The handlebars worked GREAT - though with the bar-end shifters extending further below, they are a tad difficult when maneuvering now on my commute. Still like them better tho than the brittle SRAM Rival brifters. (I've broken the rear paddle shifter now 3 times).

Great ride on a great bike - Thanks Cruzbike.
Someday maybe I'll upgrade to a stiffer Silvio / Vendetta V.x.

Romagjack

This is very impressive.

This is very impressive. What's next - the Tour de France? Regards to the lead out guy also. That's beautiful country you live in - I lived in Portland for 8 years and like it more every time I go back for a visit. Bet your Silvio has brought you plenty of good times. Can you see yourself on a Silvio 2?

Lief

Guru Schmuru
The concept of upgrading...

The concept of upgrading...has...crossed...my mind.
But, I've just now acclimatized myself to the idea that my Silvio 1.0 is my "commuter" and all the dirt/wear/tear/grime that goes along with that.
The idea of putting another one of these pretty and well tuned machines through that misery causes some small part inside of me to die.

Which means upgrade is likely not an option and the only one left is get another.
At this point - that's probably not an option.

I'll keep my ear out for anyone interested in getting into Silvios gradually (less expensively) I suppose - no option is truly ever off the table.

Sure would be fun to hammer any of my regular rides/irregular races/or even a driveway with a 2.0 (or V). :)

Lief

A small part of me dies every

A small part of me dies every time I see a nice bike relegated to the sidelines only to be used for entertainment/weekend rides! Reduced to a mere toy! And a Silvio is among the nicest bikes. Use the crap out of it. Treat it well, but use the crap out of it.