Selling Silvio

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi Mick,
Good pcitures (and

Hi Mick,

Good pcitures (and good idea to post the Bachetta, too).

I see what you mean about your position and I can see how it's hard to get what you're after on the Silvio. The only idea I've got: find somebody who bends pipes and see if they can make you what you want. (??) I've never done any such thing, but it might be worth a try.

Cheers,
Charles

Romagjack

I used a Rans handlebar,

I used a Rans handlebar, similar to the one on your Bachetta, on a conversion. Perhaps all you need is a different handlebar.

BobD

I see what you mean now Mick

I see what you mean now Mick and appreciate your posting the pics. It really is all about setting up the optimal ergo feel.
Like Connie-Jack was wondering......perhaps another bar and/or also a stem that would place your bar a tad further away from you, with perhaps the option of raising it a tad?
I can see that you want limited forward movement in the shoulder socket, and that you easily achieve that with the CA2.

I am playing around with bars on my conversion. Plan to put a Wald bar on as Jack has talked about.
When I am able to, I think I'll get some similar pics on my bike to get a picture of my ergo setup.

Actually, it might be an interesting thread for a bunch of us to take pics showing our handlebar setup as you have.

mickjordan

Straight Arms

It is worth noting that I don't think that the arm angle is related to the stress; that comes from managing the pedal steer effect. The reason I like straighter arms is to avoid having my wrist at an angle from my arm. That's why I oreferred the WTB bars over the standard issue. You'll notice that my wrists are straight on both the CB and the Bacchetta. My hands are mostly in contact with the vertical section of the WTB bars. Unfortunately, the final bend, which you can see below my hand, is cutting into the hand slightly and I have experienced some discomfort from that on long rides. Evidently, I'd prefer it if the bars did not curve at the end, like the Bacchetta. But I think it would have to be a custom job as standard 'bent bars woud be too close.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Yes, but managing the pedal

Yes, but managing the pedal steer is easier with straighter arms .. It should be no more effort than swinging arms while you jog.

georgec

You might want to try

You might want to try rotating the bars so that the ends are more vertical. That will also move them fruther away from you.

That is how the stock bars that came with my 2012 Silivio ended up after I kept moving them until I was happy.

My bars basically pass vertically thru my grip with no bend in my wriist. Since my hands don't rest on the bars, I do have to hold on, or my hands slide down off. But hey, I am riding for exercise. Why shouldn't my hands get some too? I have had absolutely no hand discomfort with this setup.

I also have my levers further out and down the bar than you.

mickjordan

Silvio Sold

After riding the Bacchetta and the Silvio in parallel for a month, I decided to sell the Silvio after all. The upper body stress from the micro-corrections of the pedal steer was ultimately the deciding factor. The bike is now sold.

It's been a fun experience, even if it didn't work out for me, and there is no doubt that Cruzbike riders are a resourceful group of people.

My next bike experiment will probably be a Lightning P38 Voyager as it has S+S couplers and packs into the same S+S suitcase as my old Waterford.

Happy riding

Mick

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
It's been fun

Hi Mick,

You gave it an honest shot and it wasn't for you. Ride whatever puts a smile on your face. :) It's been fun!

Ride safe,
Charles