Shimano Ultegra front derailleur shifting problem

backley

The Shimano Ultegra front derailleur on my Silvio does not have space for the chain and the derailleur both when I shift into the biggest sprocket (gear). Consequently, there is always chain chatter in high gear. My bike tech says that I will just have to live with it.

I am wondering if there is another Silvio owner with an Ultegra front derailleur who has had similiar problems? And, if so, what have you done to correct the situation or do you just live with it?

Any help or advice would be appreciated,

Thanks,

WhiteSilvio

FD shift problem: comment.

Hi Backley,
This problem sounds eminently surmountable!!
I am "running" Ultegra group set, including the front derailleur and don't have any problem(s).

The first question is how many chainrings do you have on the crank? Double or triple?

I have a Compact 50/34 double and it works fine.

It's hard to tell what's happening from here but it could be as simple as the outer stop, the stop for the largest chainring maybe incorrectly set up, and needs to be adjusted out a bit.

If you have replaced the change cable to the front derailleur and the shifter wasn't shifted all the way to the lowest point, then this can mean that derailleur won't be right.

There are several things to check.
Shimano have technical sheets on how to adjust the derailleur on their site: Bikes, Road, Ultegra, derailleurs, and look under the pdfs listed.

Alternatively you should change your "bike-tech" person!! Someone worth "his salt" should easily be able to set up a derailleur. It's not that hard.

Let us know how you go.
Regards,
John.

WhiteSilvio

FD Shift problem

Hi again.
Some pictures would be handy. Can you post a picture, pointing out the problem?

3WHELZ

Guru
I had the exact same problem

I had the exact same problem on my Campy setup. The only way to resolve the problem was to fabricate and extension from aluminum for the front derailleur. I was fairly easy project. I had planned to post this information some time ago, but could find away to post the pics properly. If you PM me, I will send you some photos and any details you may need.