Shimano Ultegra Triple 6703 (10 sp) on Silvio 2.0

unc99

I just ordered this for my Silvio 2.0. Inner chainring is 30T but is 92 bcd unlike the traditional 74 bcd for triples. I think I've seen a few other references on the forum to folks using this on either the new Silvio or Vendetta. Does anyone have a picture of the modifications they made to the inner chainring so that it would work with the BB clamp? Even a description of what they did for modifications what help as well. Thanks is advance.

unc99

Thanks Eric, I thought I had

Thanks Eric, I thought I had seen this addressed somewhere but couldn't remember where.

Tuloose

Guru
chainring

Unc, you have to cut off the tabs on the inner part of the small ring.
I found this out the difficult way since Cruzbike did not provide any instructions on how to modify the chain ring when I ordered the components.
I first tried filing away at the tabs, thinking that only a small amount had to come off.
After a few hours of filing and fitting I realized my mistake.
I took the chain ring off, placed it in a vise and cut the tabs off with a hacksaw.
I had to take the blade off the saw frame, place the blade inside the chain ring and hook it back into the saw.
Someone else said they used a Dremel tool to cut off the tabs.
I really like having the triple mated with the 11-28 cassette.
I have found that if you attack a steep hill in too high a gear the high force applied to the cranks can cause the bike to steer right off the road - at least in this neophyte's hands.
Learning to use the small ring and spin up the hill was my Ah Ha! moment.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Pedal Steer

That's true. Even starting on the flats in a gear too high will introduce pedal steer in the direction of the forward-traveling crank (to which the torque is applied). Learning to use the right gear for the situation takes experience and sometimes learning the hard way.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
speedplay Triple (10 sp) on Silvio 2.0

Can the Speedplay triple 153 mm crank, with its square drive internal bearing BB, as supplied on the Quest V1.0, be used on the Silvio V 2.0 with BB clamps that look as though they go around the external BB bearing caps.

SS

Tuloose

Guru
I have been told you must

I have been told you must have the external bearing type of bottom bracket.
If you look at how the carbon fiber front wheel stays are clamped to the bottom bracket you will see why.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Must use an external bearing bottom bracket...

... The front chainstay clamps attach to the outside of the bearing shells. The shell outer diameter needs to be 44mm.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
My current Silvio V 1.0 has the speed play crank from the Quest V1.0, with a 53, and 39 Q rings, and a 24 t granny gear.

I really need that gear along with the 11 - 34 rear cassette, as the engine is underpowered, and I used it a lot on my recent 3,500 km riding van supported rides in the Rockies of Canada and USA when on 7 to 10% grades.

in the summer of 2015, I will be spending 3 or 4 months cycling in Europe, and most probably self supported and camping so 4 panniers, and low gearing.

Did the Silvio V1.5 have the BB clamps located outboard on external bearings like the V 2.0?

If not, is it possible to get a V 2.0 bike with the V1.5 BB area?

regards

Super Slim

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi SS,
I believe the 1.5 has

Hi SS,

I believe the 1.5 has the same bottom bracket interface as the 1, not the 2.

That being said, somebody did manage to get a triple with a 74 BCD on a Silvio 2, which means you could get as low as 24 if you wanted to go that (probably officially unsupported) route. I just pinged the author to see if he has any update.

For what it's worth, I'm with you as far as wanting the tiny granny gear. :D

Cheers,
Charles