Shine on you crazy diamond

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Very sweet!
This forum in a whole is Very+Cool. It's a privilege to not only own one of the best (of course in my opinion the best) recumbent bike in the cosmos, but to also have the best forum software, and the best community.

Sorry Bob for the off topic!

16506178854_4e1399569e_b.jpg

Happyrider

Rick, I have to ask, where do you carry your kickstand? Did you make it yourself? You always post picture of your Vendetta standing up all nice and pretty by itself. Mine isn't that well behaved :(

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Rick, I have to ask, where do you carry your kickstand? Did you make it yourself? You always post picture of your Vendetta standing up all nice and pretty by itself. Mine isn't that well behaved
I use both on and off as Ratz posted above. I just recicently remounted the Up Stand holder to the water bottle mount under the seat.

PS - Use use a click stand brake band to hold the front wheel from rotating.

16951941340_14208e8030_b.jpg

16953300639_93d54fa233_b.jpg

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Lief you can simply lament the destruction of your budget.

Bob,
My budget is so shot, I gotta wear shades.

----
These lights are pretty awesome - when it comes time to worry myself over more lighting I have direction.
Thanks Team.

One corollary on lights - I have a still-incomplete-but-practically-tested theory that takes into account how (I think) our brain often works to judge both existence (that it's there) and distance...of things like bikes on the road.

One important way our brain decides how far away an oncoming vehicles is; using what we know about the distance between headlights (relative size and familiar size). One of the few things left from the observer inside a car (can't use noise for example).
That and relative motion (depth from motion) against other things (lights, shrubs, cars, etc).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_perception

Since...
Bikes TEND to only have one light in the front - which means drivers can't use relative size and familiar size. But they might choose familiarity with "brightness". If the brain thinks it's bright enough to be car headlights then they are SO far away as to merge into one that they must represent a car that is REALLY far away. (these are snap judgements by the way - not considered in the rational part of your brain - the kind that make a driver pull in front of you unexpectedly). Even if the bike has two bright lights - it may still trick the driver since rarely are they set apart at "vehicle" size.

The brain might try to use motion - but bikes move slower against the backdrop - also making it seem as if they are further away (or stationary).

So, I've worked out this arrangement.

Mount my light far enough back so as to illuminate part of ME.
This is particularly easy to do on recumbents as you can illuminate your feet quite easily AND still get forward light sufficient for seeing the road (especially with awesome lights such as those available today).
On an upright - I think the best solution might be to point a light backwards from the handlebars (but since we are on Cruzbike.com I'll not belabor that point).

This provides for a much simpler snap judgment on distance using relative and familiar sizes (knowing how big a person's feet/legs are).
It also provides, usually, for some recognizable motion against a backdrop. Though not quite the same as "whole bike motion" against the backdrop.

My anecdotal evidence appears to me that since I mounted my headlight like this I've had FAR fewer "close calls" than when my lights were previously mounted - unobstructed - in the farthest point forward.

The only real con could be how you might be bothered by your feet flashing along in the forward beam of your headlight - I don't notice it so much in much of the well-lit routes I ride.
If it's REALLY dark. If I had this situation I'd probably just have a steady light pointed at my legs from below/behind.

For Charles...and to save another thousand words. ;)
FA7270C2-89C7-4BB0-8465-F0DCE7C9BB45.jpeg

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Mount my light far enough back so as to illuminate part of ME.

That's basically what I use the Fibre Flares for, outline the frame and make my body reflect something. I have a neat one for my helmet that isn't in the ride with flare video in my signature, I should probably address that. I've consider getting the short ones and strapping to my legs which would provide some really visible human motion while peddling.

You should see the wide night time space cars give me. This year I'm going to get better lights on the wheels; the ones I had last year where $3 and did the job, but there are better ones out there.

Night time lighting is somewhat a simpler problem than daytime

The helmet light is on sale. And these things are finally mainstream enough to be on Amazon now.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Bob,
Those are great options for sure - but I still maintain that you just can't beat being able to tell what is actually coming at you - snap judgement-wise.

Turns out - a company in UK has one that does what I mean.
Compare this video to the fibre flares - something that resembles a human vs a floating light-sabre.

And...you are right. Daytime (or morning/evening) lighting is perhaps a more problematic issue - the bright lights you have reviewed here CERTAINLY fit that bill quite well.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
if anyone else is interested - some more chatter on this in some forum or other that I found. (hehe - also XenForo!)
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/self-illumination.66658/

oh - and I don't really buy the argument that "you want people wondering what the heck you are?"
That second of confusion might be helpful in some limited situations but I think most often (and most dangerous) are the "snap-judgment" situations that usually result in the worst-case-outcomes.
I think it's better to be plainly obvious what the heck is coming - so that drivers don't even really have to think about it; they just see you.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Rick I think a quick how to Post would be great for us OLD dinosaurs, AND for all the new Cruzbike rider!!!

I found out that 10 photos is the max number, AND 1 or 2 Mb??? is the max size of a single photo!

ratz

I did suspect that the rear light could be too bright in some modes for night time; so I did a quick test. Yep too bright, but impressive. I'll be using the low power modes at night. Gratuitous garage shot included for Eric.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/um9sx23wpdi7d18/DesignShine-test-Rear-high.mp4?dl=0

I also shot a front facing video at the same time. This one is really of limited interest. I was in a hurry and just slapped the camera on the handle bars. As such it's too low to give you a good idea of the distance the light punches forward; and my legs are constantly in the way of the camera. I should repeat this with it helmet mounted. I'll include it because it exists. I also didn't have time to remove the daytime yellow filter. So yes it's bad video and doesn't show much but it will give you some ideas if you have the patience to scan through it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p2dgyz5mhl0lijt/DesignShine-front-test.mp4?dl=0

Wannabe

I am pleased that you all like the DS lights!

SS.. all I can say is "HOLY LUMEN OUTPUT BATMAN" ! LOL Love it!

Bob, your install looks perfect as always!

I have been out-of-sorts. 4 days in Hospital, ( just now feeling half way better) had to move.... GRRRRRR! , plus working 6 weeks with little time off. BUT NOW, things are starting to look better. The light at the end of the tunnel IS NOT A train, but my riding buds with serious "do not hit ME photon emitting devices"! Simply marvelous!

Bob, got the parcel and many thanks! Once I get the silvio sorted, i will get y'all to help post pics here.

Luica, fantastic job. Yours is a gift that keeps on giving! Thank you kindly!

I do a LOT of riding in the dark. I use the Bontrager 700 front light and a Planet Bike Turbo blinky plus a cheap blinky or 2 in the back.
For broadsides visibility, I've used these on previous rides:
Fiks Reflective wheel tape: http://www.ridewithfiks.com/
Monkey Lights: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007FLHW3K
Nori Lights: http://norilights.com/
Nite-Eyes spoke lights: http://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-SpokeLit-2-Pack-Disc-O/dp/B00SGXEOBO

The Monkey Lights are the heaviest (3 AA tied to the hub), but amazingly bright. They light up my feet and the street below my front wheel. These have a bright mode that can be seen in full daylight.
The reflective wheel tape is lightest, but requires oncoming vehicles to shine light on you or you're invisible.
Nori-lights are pretty bright, continuously lit, fairly light, but I'm not sure how well the glow tape will last - I've only had them installed for a month on my Magnum.
The Nite-Eyez are rather light, but cycle from fairly bright to not so bright depending on the color (color changing LED).

On my Rocket, I use the Monkey lights on the front wheel, a Nite-Eyes on the back, and Fiks on both wheels.
On my Magnum, I have Nori Lights in the back and Nite-Eyez plus Fiks on the front wheels.
Haven't decided what I'll use on the Silvio yet, but on my Trek I had Nite-Eyez in each wheel plus Fiks.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
All this light stuff is really cool!
But since my one bike accident at Sebring in the middle of the night, I just don't like riding in the dark much - things just seem to come up on me so fast in the dark.. :confused:
So, if it's dark I want to ride; I just stick my V on the KICKR and go. :)
So much safer for me - plus added benefit of riding with no hands and eyes closed too! :D
Hey - I guess I can ride the V with no hands - I'll have to cut a video and send it to Jim.

Wannabe

I agree Larry. If I ride at night, it will be at a sedate relaxing pace. I employ the bright of the DS500 for daytime conspicuity.
After returning from a ride the other day I got a text from a friend. He said he saw me riding while passing in his car. It was about 45 minutes before sunset and he was on the other side of a multi lane hwy with median in the middle. I was on the opposite side on the service road. He could not believe how bright the front and rear lights were. He said that he saw the lights way before he saw me. I say MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Not sure, but I don't think anyone has mentioned the "theory" of drivers appearing to fixate on objects and lights they are coming towards and actually unconsciously steering towards them.
Could me an urban myth, but I sure have seen a bunch of video of HP guys stopped on the side of the road with their flashers on and people side-swiping them or plain running into them.
Kind of makes you wonder??

ratz

Not sure, but I don't think anyone has mentioned the "theory" of drivers appearing to fixate on objects and lights they are coming towards and actually unconsciously steering towards them.
Could me an urban myth, but I sure have seen a bunch of video of HP guys stopped on the side of the road with their flashers on and people side-swiping them or plain running into them.
Kind of makes you wonder??

That's mostly been debunked; it's highest effect seems to be on Impaired operators, Booz and Drugs. But the jury is split.

There are flashing modes with semi random patterns that's what I run during the day just incase.

DuncanWatson

Personally I prefer solid lights. The loss in battery time is a downside. Solid lights in a pattern that provide parallax is my standard goal for "be seen" rear facing lights.