Shine on you crazy diamond

Lief

Guru Schmuru
the back scatter off the legs
you know what - the backscatter off of my legs on the Silvio 1.0 is far less than it would be on either V2.0, V20, or S30. I can see that being a problem on those bikes.

Still thinking that a rider would benefit from having their body illuminated.
I wonder if a small-ish light mounted on the bottom of the main tube - pointed up at the underside of your feet/legs would do the trick.
Maybe I'll try that on the Vendetta (after May).

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
you know what - the backscatter off of my legs on the Silvio 1.0 is far less than it would be on either V2.0, V20, or S30. I can see that being a problem on those bikes.

Still thinking that a rider would benefit from having their body illuminated.
I wonder if a small-ish light mounted on the bottom of the main tube - pointed up at the underside of your feet/legs would do the trick.
Maybe I'll try that on the Vendetta (after May).

I bet my helmet mount fibre flare would do that if front mounted on the helmet. I wonder how much that would mess with my night vision.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
If it's red it ought not to mess with your night vision at all/much - I'm not an expert but astronomers use red-filtered lights to read maps etc so they can still see very faint objects.

ratz

If it's red it ought not to mess with your night vision at all/much - I'm not an expert but astronomers use red-filtered lights to read maps etc so they can still see very faint objects.

I have an extra one; perhaps I'll draft you to test it.

ratz

Not on mine. Sssh don't tell charles, but here's one from the webstie

Fibre_Flare_MVP_RED_Helmet_Light_Bike_Light_copy_large.jpg

Rear facing like that is how I have mine in the fall night riding.

ratz

This is the sister product to what Ivan introduced us to last year on his Silvio.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
here is a view of a VERY Tricked out Catrike with Dinotte lights at the edges, to make up for everything being black with NO reflective tape in sight!!!
silk-8.jpg

silk-6.jpg

ratz

One thing about the Design Shine lights; there are ALOT of settings and picking which one to run and which batteries to grab and how many is a bit ummmmm daunting.

So to make life easier I made a quick reference card. Printed it out and lamented into a double sided cheat sheet the size of a credit card. Works pretty good as it condense two full pages in the manual to the palm of my hand.

XLSX attached in zip file.

Left side is run times and recommended usages from DS.
Right side is my preference for mode and the number of batteries needed.

Colors are the link between front and back so I know which size battery to grab. I have qty2 2200 and a single 4400 an 5600 pretty much can cover any ride that doesn't have a chase vehicle with that; and if I do have a chase vehicle there are always two batteries on the bike and two charging in the truck. Turn out to be a cost effect way to cover all the bases.

Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 1.18.37 AM.png

Attachments

• DesignShineQRCard.xlsx.zip
    69.5 KB · Views: 6

Wannabe

Good job Bob. You are one of the few people I know that is thorough in every thing you do. Again, good job!

ratz

Good job Bob. You are one of the few people I know that is thorough in every thing you do. Again, good job!

When your children's ages range across 2 decades that's almost forty years you have to go without swearing out loud at moments of frustration; so it's best to pre-figure things out and avoid the frustration all together. :cool:

Wannabe

When your children's ages range across 2 decades that's almost forty years you have to go without swearing out loud at moments of frustration; so it's best to pre-figure things out and avoid the frustration all together. :cool:

I do understand, we home schooled 6.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Bob, thanks for that!!!
I was trying to remember the times, but old age is setting in!!!
I have printed it out in a small size , and I will laminate it and put in my muesli bar bag!

ratz

Last year it was Night Rider; I think this year we'll go with a Night Stalker theme.
Video is in the works. :cool:

NightStalker14.jpg
NightStalker14.jpg NightStalker11.jpg NightStalker12.jpg NightStalker13.jpg NightStalker10.jpg NightStalker7.jpg NightStalker8.jpg NightStalker5.jpg NightStalker2.jpg NightStalker4.jpg

SamP

Guru
I've picked up a Philips Saferide 80 lux light which does a lot of beam shaping so the light illuminates the road relatively evenly and very little light shines above the light's vertical height, good for road, not so good for serious mountain biking. It's big drawback is short battery life on high power.

pethelman

You might find this entertaining... A few years ago I did a complete upgrade/rebuild of a Saferide for a guy. New controller board, XML emitters, and externally powered. The result was nothing short of outstanding for night riding, but I would never do it again (way too many hours), which is why I posted all the steps on how to do it the MTBR forum. You can see it HERE. For daytime warning lights, the non-shaped beams have the advantage, but you can't beat the shaped beam for riding in traffic. There are quite a few options for that type of light now.
Cheers