Shine on you crazy diamond

SamP

Guru
I read that when I was investigating bike headlights. Very neat. The 2nd generation of the light (the one I've got) reportedly fixed some of the problems, and then Philips exited the bicycle light business.

I'm thinking of modifying mine to run off an external USB power pack, either by cutting a USB cable and simply wiring the power wires to the battery holder terminals (through a hole drilled in the case) or by repurposing the existing USB jack. 5V and 2.1A should be enough... except my light has a defect, it won't run on NIMH cells. It runs fine on alkaline or the Energizer primary lithium cells, the first has not so good life and the second is expensive. Maybe there's a pot on the logic board to adjust the voltage sensor? I guess I should reread your posts to see how to get to the logic board.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Ratz, I hope you have sent a link to Steve at DesignShine Lighting.

Stunning photography AND Lights of course.

I also have a set of these fantastic lights, with a bit of help from yourself, but have recently only seen them from the ridding seat, and I have become accustomed to them.

The side shot next to the wall shows off just how much light is produced forward and aft, but also sideways, which for me is the important thing!

When practicing your figure 8 patterns, the bike appears to be a motorbike from the lighting, and VERY visible from all views

Have you been called up to move to Hollywood???

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Well that's sad; DesignShine appears to be closing down. No more headlights will be built; and the they are down to 70 taillights. If you were a fence sitter nows the time to scoop them up.

ratz

Well that's sad; DesignShine appears to be closing down. No more headlights will be built; and the they are down to 70 taillights. If you were a fence sitter nows the time to scoop them up.

Per the creator this is a pretty good substitute head light: http://www.action-led-lights.com/collections/gemini-sets-1/products/2016-gemini-duo-light-set

Looking at the specs it lacks the side lighting but has a wireless remote to control the light which is a definite boon for the Silvio and Vendetta riders. The new slim battery packs should fit the booms better too.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Ratz, they are ALL gone, as I just went on the website to order another headlight and nil stock of both!!

They are the best lights I have EVER used by 300%!!!

ratz

Ratz, they are ALL gone, as I just went on the website to order another headlight and nil stock of both!!

They are the best lights I have EVER used by 300%!!!

yep headlights are gone; but if you email him there are 70 more taillights to be built. Too bad there aren't clear lenses; the taillight is not that different from the headlight. I'll let you know how the testing of the gemini goes; had to order that for PluckyBlond's bike to go with the DS tail light.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
If the Gemini is anything like my Gloworms then I'm sure it'll be great, over powered but great. As literally half my Mtbing is done at night I know a thing or two about the headlight world and the gloworm lights totally rock with their tune-able lenses. For road riding I keep the 1500 dual led anywhere between 20-50% because it's just so bright for asphalt. I rode the whole night at the 24hr race on 20% because I forgot to adjust it beforehand and then realized I didn't need any more. The idea of a gloworm with a wireless switch which is basically what these new gemini's are sounds like a great option for a cruzbike where the light is usually mounted out of reach.

ratz

If the Gemini is anything like my Gloworms then I'm sure it'll be great, over powered but great. As literally half my Mtbing is done at night I know a thing or two about the headlight world and the gloworm lights totally rock with their tune-able lenses. For road riding I keep the 1500 dual led anywhere between 20-50% because it's just so bright for asphalt. I rode the whole night at the 24hr race on 20% because I forgot to adjust it beforehand and then realized I didn't need any more. The idea of a gloworm with a wireless switch which is basically what these new gemini's are sounds like a great option for a cruzbike where the light is usually mounted out of reach.

The new skinny batteries look very boom friendly too.

Forgot to post the link to that: http://www.action-led-lights.com/co...cts/magicshine-mj-6096-5200mah-4-cell-battery

SamP

Guru
Jason, have you ever tried a headlight with a shaped light distribution, like many of Busch&Mueller's or Philip's?

I'm pretty happy with my Philips 80 lux LED Bike Light's light output, just not happy with the power situation on it. I'll probably modify mine to use an external power source one of these days.

[update]

I was rereading Peter White's site and realized that B&M has an ebike version of the Cyo Premium light: it operates on 6-42V DC. Buy or build any reasonable size battery pack you want. Now if only B&M would produce battery powered (or ebike versions) of their newest dynamo lights.

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Ratz are you going to mount the new light above the Designshine light and do a walk around during day and night time.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
How easy is it to program custom levels of light output? Gloworm has that function totally dialed to the point I can totally remap my lighting levels on all 4 setting while Mtb racing. While the light is on you just double tap the button and it goes into modifying that one mode, be it you low, med or high. Then you just double again to exit program setting for that mode and you can go strait back to flicking through L,M&H.

During my last 24hr I was stretch battery life to the max like normal by only running my bad light at the minimum level and turning off the helmet light during the long climb. The descent goes strait into a 40mph sketchy fire road with ruts so you want your lights at high strait away. I had the bright idea of making my low setting 80% med 40% and high 20% so that way from totally off the light would power on at 80%. It's little things like that make you appreciate someone competent at Gloworm in charge of the power chips in their lights. If like to see more companies incorporate programming modes as easy to use even while still ridding.

ratz

Yep it's that easy. I like the idea of reversing the 100% then the "flash" button will work like a car and flash the brighter light; out of the box it is 20% 60% 100% and flashes level 1 on the press.

I am disappoint in the flashing pattern. It only has off and on. For day time I like a 2shortx1long pattern you get more battery life that way; and for night I'm going to miss the steady at 40% plus a blink of 50% without any pass thorough off. DesignShine had it nailed with their 5 factory blink patterns.

The other thing Gemin needs to do is document all of their run-times at various power level by battery size. I have an email into them requesting the data so I can up date my laminated pre-ride card tell me what mode and what battery to grab based on the type and length of the ride. Hopefully they will come through but not hearing back from them in 30 hours is disappointing; when the product is that expensive.

ratz

100 miles on a trainer?? :eek::eek::eek: I would die of boredom somewhere around mile 15.

Ipad setup for web surfing while riding.
TV playing Long form movies
Audible book on head phones.

usually all at the same time.

Probably 20% of what I post here is written pedaling. I'd claim that's the cause of all my typos but no one would believe me.

Played with the lights on the bike on the trainer last night; got the mounting all figured out. Tonight button it all up and get it road ready for photos on Saturday.