Shipping A Silvio 1.0

Drew

Anyone have experience shipping the old style Silvio with a welded seat pan? A regular bike box is too small and my LBS has nothing bigger to offer. I could cut and tape two boxes together but will that be strong enough?

Any advice is appreciated

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I've use these boxes (below) to ship bikes on three different on occasions, it's very solid and heavy duty. Note the dimensions. If shipping with shipbikes.com you will need to try it a tad. I've also went down to the LBS and picked out some large boxes and made my own. I sipped about 6 bikes using shipbikes.com, but again pay attention to dimensions so you don't go over. Note: I don't know how wide the stock seat is on the S 1.0.

From Amazon:
EcoBox 67 x 13 x 38 Inches Box for Large Bike

Drew

Thanks Rick. The seat is 11" wide so that box should work well. What do you mean by "I need to try it" if shipping shipbike.com? Do they boost the rate for this ecobox?

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
"I need to try it"
Sorry, "trim it a tad". I can't remember off hand, but you will need to trim the length. Log on to the shipbikes.com and start with the dimensions of the box. It will probably say the box size is not supported, re-enter but 1-2" less until you can find the max length. I think I had to trim about 4" from the length.

Drew

For those interested, Ecobox 67x13x38 from Toronto to California is $750. Yikes. Looking for another option

Drew

Shipbikes doesn't look like an option for cross border shipping a Silvio 1.0.

Anyone in Buffalo want to meet me at the border? This bike might just go back in the rack.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Toronto to California is $750
Wow...they use FedEx. My shipments are usually around $80 insured.

Possibly you could purchase the shipping online and then drive over the border to FedEx office. Use the US FedEx office as shipping from location on the label. With shipbikes.com everything is completed and purchased online. You input box dim's, weight, ship from and ship too, pay and print out label attach to box, drive over border and drop off at FedEx.