Shock Pump Problem

Ivan

Guru
I am having a problem with my front shock pump. I went to use it to top up my pressure as the last time I used it was over a month ago. However the nozzle end seemed to be stuck. It was very difficult turning the black end to extend the part that fits onto the tire valve. When I finally got it moving it still doesn't extend. It is stuck in this position in the picture. Turning it counterclockwise or clockwise doesn't extend or retract it. What has gone wrong and what could I do rectify it? Very strange that it would freeze up like that. It worked just fine the last time and has been sitting on the shelf ever since.

image(81).jpg height:585px; width:780px

3WHELZ

Guru
Pump

I realize this does not resolve your problem, but I switch to a high pressure pump that I have for my MTB after the first use of the supplied pump. It was inexpensive, less than $20 US, and easier to use. Dean

Ivan

Guru
I guess that's the problem

I guess that's the problem John. When I unscrewed it at last use the nozzle must have gotten jammed tightly and now it's turning in the rubber. I guess the easiest solution is to look for another shock pump.

Ivan

Guru
Thanks John. I tried various

Thanks John. I tried various placements of pliers like that but without success. The threads are spinning in the rubber and stuck in the black nozzle.

Ivan

Guru
Feels strange to say "Thanks

Feels strange to say "Thanks Gromit!" ... yeah, I had my eye on that model. Looks really nice, great reviews. Just pricey and even more so in a Singapore LBS. I can get cheap shock pumps here but something with a 2 stage release is needed. The originally provided pump worked but required you to turn the pump itself. Looking at videos of the Topeak DXG in action it seems that design for the pump is even better. I will probably spring for it...

Gromit

Guru
Cheaper, alternative shock pumps

You're welcome Ivan.
regular_smile.gif

Cheaper, alternative shock pumps? I've used the Beto (aka Raleigh, Evo et cetera) shock pump but not on a Silvio. Link below. They work fine and can be bought cheaply on ebay. They're two-stage and quite well made. You partially screw out the red screw on the connector valve first then screw the connector onto the air shock's valve. The brass-coloured part rotates within the black part. Turn the red screw clockwise, to open the valve. The gauge indicates the pressure in the shock. Pump if necessary. Reverse the procedure to disconnect without loosing any air.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beto-Shock-Gauge-Bleed-Valve/dp/B0010VTQ9Y

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Shall we get you some

Shall we get you some Wensleydale cheese and crackers, Ivan? Or is it time for some Lancashire hotpot?

wink_smile.gif

Gromit

Guru
Which pump did you get Ivan?

Ivan

I'm curious to know which shock pump you finally bought or whether you fixed the faulty one?

You may have noticed, that I'll soon need a shock pump for my Quest's rear suspension.
The Beto one which I have and mentioned earlier, should work fine but it's always helpful to be aware of the alternatives available.
regular_smile.gif

http://www.cruzbike.com/quest-air

Ivan

Guru
I couldn't get the faulty one

I couldn't get the faulty one to work. I think I tightened it too much one way and it got jammed. Partly not a great design, partly my own blunder as it's the first time I used this kind of pump.

After almost buying the Topeak PocketShox DXG, I ended up getting the SKS SAM Suspension Pump due to it's beefier design, especially the steel-braided hose. I am not going to carry it around and I wanted longevity. Reviews of the Topeak DXG were very good except a small minority said that their hose blew after a year. While the SKS SAM didn't get such high reviews, no one on any forums said it busted in any way. MTBers didn't like it cos it was too big or hard to reach their pressure. For us, we are not carrying it around and I only need 150psi which was easy to reach with it for the only one time I have used it. The SKS Pump is heavy and metallic so it yells "quality" at the cost of portability (and the cost of the cost too!).

prod25831_IMGSET