Shoot me and put me out of my MISERY!

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Can't believe it!
My intent was to ride a "recovery century". i.e. A century at my "recovery" power of about 155 watts.

I had a dentist appointment at 8:30am, so I got up at 3:30am and went to the track I usually ride on.
Took my "Sebring" light with me. Darkness, 100% humidity with fog, and fogged up Visor = riding off the track on the corner, trying to recovery, got back on the track, them immediately fell, sliding on my left side AGAIN!
My wounds from 12 days ago not even healed. Bad abrasion on my left forearm also. This happened at around mile 42. I picked myself up, saw a little blood on my arm, but didn't feel anything "significant" on my rear end, so I got back on the bike and rode another 59 miles!
Oh yeah - forgot to mention that a bee landed on me and stung me right under my heart rate monitor strap. Luckily that was at mile 98.

Good news, I averaged 24.3mph for 100+ miles on 156 watts, and an average pulse of 139.
First 100 miles in 4:06:46. New personal best and at a relatively easy pace.

Bad fueling/hydration experiment: I said to myself: "Self: since you are just going to be riding at your 'recovery' pace, you probably don't need anything to eat, and you might not even need anything to drink since it is so humid and dark". I must have just been delirious from getting up so early to make that decision! Well, that worked (but not really) for the first 60 miles. Then my chest starting hurting!?? I had to stop, ran to the car, grabbed a couple of bottles of water. Mixed one up with 2 scoops of Infinit that I had pre-measured in a bag , and left one plain water. Went back out with those and used them up over the next 40 miles. Road 101 miles on 1- 2 scoop serving of Infinit and 1 16oz bottle of water. Not the best decision, and will not do it again.

Lessons learned:
Don't ride in the Dark unless wearing Kevlar body suit, especially when you have an indoor trainer just sitting there all lonely.
Don't ride when you can't see where you are going.
Take fuel and water, no matter your effort level.
Ride with someone else, so they can take you to the hospital when needed.
When hurt, don't keep riding unless something BIG is on the line, otherwise hurt body parts swell up really large. (My forearm looked like I had an egg under my skin by the time I got home)

Well, I've got 3 1//2 weeks to heal up for the Mid-Atlantic race.
I might just stay on the indoor trainer until then.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/848323867

Last edited:

Lief

Guru Schmuru
If anyone should stay on a trainer it's you Larry!
Unbelievable luck (or choices?) :)

I'm sure you will heal well - you've got more practice than most of us.

All kidding aside, thanks for sharing the proxy-lessons. I'll remember them for at least a season - although if I got up at 3dark30 I may not!

LarryOz

I'm sure you will heal well - you've got more practice than most of us.
Yeah Lief - It seems like I should be really good at it by now - both sliding, and healing.
I just need to learn to levitate myself up off the V when going down.

I am really praying for "no more". I think I should have hit my "quota" by now.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Bees don't like to be swatted out of the air with your chest.
Stop it.

I know, because I don't know any better:
I swatted one with my chest, coming home after work. The bee objected, as bees do, by stinging me.
The next day, coming home from work, I thought,"Right about here is where... OWW!"
A bee stung me in the same spot.

Your excuse is the foggy darkness. Bees are hard to see in the dark fog.
I didn't have any excuses.

Hope you smiled,
get better and ride safe(r).

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I'm like a broken record. Get the D3O elbow pads (body armor). Wear them under arm warmers or buy a set of sleeves. You won't even notice them. Until you crash.:)

Suz

I guess that made the dentist apt a breeze???

Larry, I'm not sure if you're amazing or just crazy, regardless you're one of the toughest riders I know. Perhaps take Joseph and Ratz advice?

KiwiGuy

Hey Larry

I knew it was all going to turn to custard when I read the words, "I got up at 3.30am." :eek:

You have an unbelievable cycling work ethic. And your 100 mile PB is totally awesome.

I hope you mend quickly.

Kind regards... Blair

LarryOz

Thanks all! I can't wait until I can do a century on a track during the day!

id you get robot legs?
Joe - I am sorry, I do not know what that means. Something to do with "terminator" movie? I did not see it, so it might be lost on me! :)

LarryOz

"I'm thinking about getting metal legs. It's a risky operation, but it'll be worth it."
Thanks for the quote!
I don't need metal legs - just metal skin! :)
Ordered a pair those shorts that ratz has - should get them next week.
Also thinking about just making a small little "skid pad" off to the left near the bottom of the seat. Envision something like a little "ski-runner" or something so when I do tip over "going CCW of course" on the track, it will take all the action.

LarryOz

I ordered the shorts and some of those D30 elbow pads. Should be arriving next week
But today, I just "taped" myself up with Duck Tape, just in case I fell again.
It's not quite Kelvar, but better than nothing in a pinch I figured.
and... I did not crash today.. so call it a GOOD day!not quite Kevlar.jpg

jond

Zen MBB Master
My wife tells me this regularly!
quack quack mine tells me something else altogether unkind and it has nothing to do with duct tape.

still either wife is not so wrong. lucky to have em on our side really. :)