Silvio 1.0 and 2.0 Comparison

3WHELZ

Guru
For those that have an opportunity to ride and own the both the Silvio 1.0 and 2.0, can you offer a comparison?

Thank you

Kyytsis

Can you fit the Silvio 2.0

Can you fit the Silvio 2.0 neck rest to 1.0? I see some Silvio 1.0 at good price point but would need to upgrade with chainstay extenders and I like the look of the neck rest..

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Can you fit the Silvio 2.0

Can you fit the Silvio 2.0 neck rest to 1.0? I see some Silvio 1.0 at good price point but would need to upgrade with chainstay extenders and I like the look of the neck rest..

People have definitely mounted neck rests on Silvio 1.Xs (see this or this). By far and away, the biggest difference is going to be the seat angle. If you like the 45 degree seat angle, the Silvio 1.X will be a much better deal for you. If you want the lower seat angle, then you want the lower seat angle and that means the Silvio 2.

3WHELZ

Guru
Headrest

Speaking from experience, I do not think you will need the headrest regardless of the chainstay extenders. The seat angle remains 45 degrees. Early on, I had contemplated installing a headrest that I had purchased for an Optima trike that I had once had, but found it unnecessary.

Kyytsis

I had totally missed that

I had totally missed that Silvio 1.x has fixed seat angle.. My Baron is somewhere close the to 20 degrees and would like something similar.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
consider the 2.0

Only you can be the judge, but the 2.0 sounds likea good match for the more reclined, agressive position you are used to.

Ivan

Guru
And since you are accustomed

And since you are accustomed to the high BB of the Baron, use the appropriate chainstay extension for Silvio 2.0 to attain similar BB height.

Drew

I have 4 years experience on

I have 4 years experience on a 1.0 and have been riding a Silvio 2.0 since July 1. I will ignore the technical differences because they have been well covered on this form.

The first ride on the 2.0 felt like I was laying completely flat. The handling was the same but the bike certainly felt different and a bit less stable. I now attribute that initial sensation to lack of experience on a more reclined bike. The first few hours it felt like I was sliding off the seat. I wasn't moving at all but the smaller seat pan gave that impression. Visibility is not as good on the 2.0. It is not bad but it is harder to see debris and road hazards than on the 1.0. I ride in the city a lot so this is a factor for me.

On the 2.0 I feel imperfections of the road a lot more. You feel it on your whole back instead of just your butt. That's the only negative comment I could make.

The good news is the 2.0 is much faster than the earlier versions. It also feels more stable on descents. My average speed over fixed courses has increased 4 to 5 Km/h. This has been demonstrated scientifically on this forum but it was obvious to me before reading the data. My Strava records are falling like dominoes and I even have held a few KOM awards for the first time.

The 1.0 is still a great bike (and I have one for sale wink wink). If my 1.0 doesn't sell I'm going to add a rack and panniers to convert it into a commuting machine. However the 2.0 is a true leap in design from esthetic and performance point of view. The increased seat angle is great but may take a while to get used to it. Once you do get comfortable on this bike get ready to fly!

3WHELZ

Guru
Comparison

Drew - yes, thank you for the input. I too have been riding a 1.0 for about the same period of time. I have not yet taken the plunge and moved to a 2.0, but I am certainly considering it. The visibility concerns me more than the roughness of the ride. Have you attempted to make any adjustments to headrest to improve visibility?

Dean

Drew

The visibility is different

The visibility is different on the 2.0 but it is not bad. On my 1.0 the handlebars are higher and more of a sight block. On the 2.0 it is the seat angle that is the viz issue for me. I als find it harder to check 6 so i use 2 Zefal spy mirrors.

I have not tried moving the headrest because it is not that big a deal.