Silvio 1.0 v. S30

So I am currently a fairly recent Softrider V2 owner and recreational rider, convinced enough on Cruzbike to consider at this point upgrading to an S30, most likely next year. However, I have the possibility of purchasing a Silvio 1.0 (has the word Silvio written on the horizontal portion of the frame under the seat) for substantially less money than what a new S30, even just purchasing the frameset and building it myself, costs. Would like to know thoughts on whether there is really that much difference between the two models, or whether this is just false savings. At first glance the seat on the 1.0 looks just like the one on the Softrider while the S30 is way more aero. Thanks.

1happyreader

zen/child method
whether there is really that much difference between the two models
It is quite a list.
I wish the old product pages were available in a history archive. sigh.
Help me remember:
1.0 -1.5
clamp to stem lighter n improved
more std front deraileur mount point
curved front of boom for wider fit ?
1.5 - 2.0
hydroformed frame
seat went from 45 to apx 30 degrees
headrest
2.0 - s30
press fit fd mount
one piece seat
s-30 - present
non-suspended front fork.
seat angle 33 ??

OK what did I miss,,, lol
later,,, bye

It is quite a list.
I wish the old product pages were available in a history archive. sigh.
Help me remember:
1.0 -1.5
clamp to stem lighter n improved
more std front deraileur mount point
curved front of boom for wider fit ?
1.5 - 2.0
hydroformed frame
seat went from 45 to apx 30 degrees
headrest
2.0 - s30
press fit fd mount
one piece seat
s-30 - present
non-suspended front fork.
seat angle 33 ??se

OK what did I miss,,, lol
later,,, bye

Thanks for the info, and you are right, there should be an archive for old product pages and it would not occupy much storage space in the servers of the hosting co. Cruz uses.

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
Softrider and recreational rider sounds like a Q or an X100 would be right for you. But if you are more performance oriented, then a Sylvio or Vendetta may be for you. I'm just saying, there are different rides for different riders. If you are not racing and ride for leisure then a Q or an X100 has good frame and much adjustability in seat angle/and seat can be moved forward or back/has an option for a touring commuter rack (that puts your panniers in the aero shadow of the seat), and has disc brakes. The Sylvio has a more performance oriented front end if you are performance oriented. Some models have both front and rear suspension. Suspension steals some of your pedaling energy, but gives a softer ride. Slightly less air in any tire also gives a softer ride! Newer Sylvio has rear suspension but dropped the front suspension (I like that but need a rack for panniers so have a Q and an X100). And then there is the Vendetta, the rocket performance bike! Your priorities and current needs drive your decision. Short version of my rambling...don't worry about minute detail, just get the big stuff to help with your decision.

Softrider and recreational rider sounds like a Q or an X100 would be right for you. But if you are more performance oriented, then a Sylvio or Vendetta may be for you. I'm just saying, there are different rides for different riders. If you are not racing and ride for leisure then a Q or an X100 has good frame and much adjustability in seat angle/and seat can be moved forward or back/has an option for a touring commuter rack (that puts your panniers in the aero shadow of the seat), and has disc brakes. The Sylvio has a more performance oriented front end if you are performance oriented. Some models have both front and rear suspension. Suspension steals some of your pedaling energy, but gives a softer ride. Slightly less air in any tire also gives a softer ride! Newer Sylvio has rear suspension but dropped the front suspension (I like that but need a rack for panniers so have a Q and an X100). And then there is the Vendetta, the rocket performance bike! Your priorities and current needs drive your decision. Short version of my rambling...don't worry about minute detail, just get the big stuff to help with your decision.

The Vendetta would be too much for me. The Softrider is a lot of fun and the ride is much better than a Lightning Phantom recumbent that I also have. This is strictly recreational riding, sometimes as fast as I can and as traffic would allow on a local 12 mile long (one way) paved rail trail (to be expanded next year to 22 miles one way). The issue would be the Silvio 1.o v. the S30 and whether the improvements in the S30 are worth the substantial premium over a used Silvio 1.0. Would love to hear other riders that have upgraded from a Silvio 1.0 to a current S30.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
The Vendetta would be too much for me. The Softrider is a lot of fun and the ride is much better than a Lightning Phantom recumbent that I also have. This is strictly recreational riding, sometimes as fast as I can and as traffic would allow on a local 12 mile long (one way) paved rail trail (to be expanded next year to 22 miles one way). The issue would be the Silvio 1.o v. the S30 and whether the improvements in the S30 are worth the substantial premium over a used Silvio 1.0. Would love to hear other riders that have upgraded from a Silvio 1.0 to a current S30.

S30 versus S 1.0 that's basically leather heated seats versus cloth. Maria set some dam impressive records on the S 1.0.
Also if you have an S30 you'll probably still want the Sofrider. If you buy the S1.0 I suspect you'll sell the sofrider.

If you buy the S1.0 I suspect you'll sell the sofrider.

Or not. I've got a Vendetta 2.0, a Silvio 1.5, and an old Sofrider. I ride all of them. I choose my ride largely based on the speed of who I'm riding with. :)

To the OP: I think the biggest difference you'll find between S30 and 1.0 (besides the fact that the S30 is much prettier) is the seat angle. If you want a 'sitting up' feel, get the 1.0. The S30 will be a little faster than the 1.0, but I think there is more of a speed difference between Sofrider and 1.0 than 1.0 and 30.

I have to say, one thing I like about my Silvio 1.5 over the Vendetta is the solidness of the seat. In the Silvio 1.0 and 1.5, the seat is metal and welded to the frame. It has a very solid feel. The newer seats are carbon fiber and bolted (with small bolts) & velcro'd on - which sounds a little flimsy, but it really isn't. I've never had a problem with my V's seat moving or anything, but it's definitely not as solid as the Silvio's seat.

Last edited:

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
The old Silvio and the new S30 are not even in the same league - they share a name only.

I have a 1.0 and love it - but it cannot compare to the new one for performance. They are different beasts entirely.

For me - they are both keepers.

S30 versus S 1.0 that's basically leather heated seats versus cloth. Maria set some dam impressive records on the S 1.0.
Also if you have an S30 you'll probably still want the Sofrider. If you buy the S1.0 I suspect you'll sell the sofrider.

Excellent point.

Gentlemen,
Thank you very much for your excellent comments. On final analysis, I should pursue the new S30 and I will keep the Softrider since I purchased it at such an excellent price, there is no point in selling it.

atisansei

I just received the Silvio S30 frame set last week and am figuring out what components to put on it. Just for some perspective, in 2009, I bought the Silvio 1.0 frame set for $2920 while the S30 frame set was $2450--good deal!

At first, I was perfectly happy with the 1.0, but after a while, I wanted to make some improvements:
1) lighter weight, especially the front end
2) smoother/rounder shaped frame, mostly for aesthetics, but stiffer for more efficient power transfer would be good
3) lower handlebar position for more comfort and over-the-handlebars visibility (I'm 5' 5" and probably shrinking)
4) carbon fiber seat with Ventisit pad
5) more reclined seat back position
6) room for wider tires, at least 28mm with wider rims
7) easier to remove and replace front wheel--rear derailleur is loose on 1.0

Somehow, Cruzbike read my mind and incorporated all of my wishes, and more, into the S30. It's subjective, but I really like the S30's hydroformed frame and the new graphics. I was actually going to cut off the 1.0 metal seat and install a carbon fiber seat I had, but the planets aligned and I ended up buying the S30. I'll be installing a Shimano 105 11-speed compact double, and I just found out the new 105 brakes accommodate wider tires. I'm still working on whether or not an 11-speed XT rear cassette and derailleur will work with the 105 11-speed brifter since I want an 11-36 or 11-40 cassette.

So, as others have said, it all depends on what you want, and I know the price difference is probably substantial, but in the long run, you could be better off with the S30 IF it has what you want. In my case, for my needs, the S30 seems to fit and I can't wait to get it rolling. BTW, I'm planning on keeping the 1.0 as well.

Albert