Silvio 1.0 vs 1.5?

Bob10

It has been quite awhile since I visited this Forum. I built both a starter Cruzbike and a Silvio 1.0 many years ago, enjoyed them and then decided to move on to another bent. It is exciting to see how Cruzbike has grown in technology and popularity.

I am now thinking about purchasing a used Silvio, and would greatly appreciate your thoughts. I am trying to find this information, but cannot find any archived references. I am looking at both a Silvio 1.0 and 1.5 as I like the 45 degree seat angle. With the upgraded 1.5, what changes were made with this model?

Many thanks!!
Bob

1happyreader

zen/child method
With the upgraded 1.5, what changes were made with this model?
web archive
completely revised front triangle introduced on V1.5, which included the following improvements:
  • Drop nose boom provides better FD mounting and compatibility

• Boom Slider redesign facilitates both very short and very tall riders on the one frameset

• Lighter pivot clamp assembly

• Lighter slider clamp assembly

hurri47

Unless you are very short, the straight boom of the 1.0 puts the bars very high. I'm 5' 9" and for my 1.0 I opted to keep the chainstay extension a previous owner had installed. Now I can see over the bar. The curved boom on the 1.5 would fit more people without resorting to the extensions.

-Dan

Bob10

Thanks 1happyreader and Dan!

I am 5'9".....28" inseam.....42.5 Xseam....sounds like the curved bar might be an advantage.
I also read somewhere that the 1.5 is more problem-free.....don't know if that is accurate or not.
Will begin to look around.
Bob

hurri47

Bob, I'm about your size. You got me looking at my avatar pic, and man, are my feet ever high! Maybe that's why I've been feeling compelled to experiment with a chunk of foam at the angle of the seat to simulate more recline (moving my butt up and forward), but that is starting to feel like addressing a kluge with another kluge. I haven't seen anyone else trying that. Maybe I should just open up my hip angle by taking the extension off instead. Next rainy day.

Long term, though, I'm thinking S30. The 45-degree seat is too upright for my taste - almost all my other rides show a lot more recline. Unfortunately I just spent all my new-bike money on car repairs.

The good news for you is there seems to be more 1.5 available lately than the originals.

-Dan

Bob10

Good pointers Dan...
I am fortunate as I have a folding Linear LR, and an '2005 V-Rex that I just picked up and am working on. However, am thinking of passing the V-Rex onto my brother and want a second different bent. Will take awhile to look for a 1.5. However, I guess I should really first see what it is actually like riding a bent with more of a reclining seat as I have never done so.
Out to finish up some gardening....then a nice long ride in sunny New England.
Bob

hurri47

For me the low reclines are all about getting the weight off my butt and onto my shoulders. Makes high mileage days much more comfortable.

Hasn't this been a perfect weekend for New England? I want to get one more ride in today before the fog returns :)

-Dan (in Maine instead of spontaneously combusting in Tucson)

Bob10

Dan
I am looking forward to sitting on both a 1.5 and then a newer S. I have always thought that the lower recline would cause neck fatigue. Does the headrest support your neck, the helmet, or both. I also like putting on longer mileage and do a number of hilly fundraising rides each year. Would be nice to have a bent recline that puts more weight on my back.
Thanks Dan
Bob

hurri47

Dan
I am looking forward to sitting on both a 1.5 and then a newer S. I have always thought that the lower recline would cause neck fatigue. Does the headrest support your neck, the helmet, or both. I also like putting on longer mileage and do a number of hilly fundraising rides each year. Would be nice to have a bent recline that puts more weight on my back.
Thanks Dan
Bob

There are two things I have learned about headrests (neckrests actually, by the way).

1. I have found my neck learns to hold itself up with very little practice. I experimented with a bike with adjustable recline where I would drop it down a notch and my neck would get tired. I would install a home-made neck rest for a few days and then I could take it off because my neck had gotten used to it. Dropped another notch and repeated until there were no more notches. The only bike I even still have a headrest attached to is my lowracer, but even there I don't lean on it 100% of the time.

2. The shape of the seat makes a huge difference. I have ridden bikes with steeper reclines than even my lowracer, but if the seat has an appropriate kick up and forward at the top, my neck and head support themselves just fine. I'm not sure why that works, but the effect is unmistakeable.

The early Silvio seats were too upright for headrests to be an issue, which is a good thing considering how flat they were. The newer more reclined seats are still flat, but I get the impression they would be unridable without those huge headrests. Balancing is a little different with more recline, but you get completely used to that in half an hour.

-Dan

Bob10

thanks super slim~
i have never used one.....hope to check it out at bob matson's shop in nyc some time in the next few months....