Silvio 2.0 - 2.1 ?s

igolfat8

Please excuse my noobie questions:

?1) Silvio 2.0 is listed for sale under the Bikes category but I do not see the Silvio 2.1?
2) I saw a thread about a 2.1 but the decals on the bike still say 2.0?
3) What is the difference between the 2.0 and 2.1?
4) In the thread the person was referring to adjusting to the MBB. Does the boom or bottom bracket actually move while you ride or pedal? I assumed it was to adjust leg or pedal length for the rider and then it was clamped down securely before riding.
5) Is there a thread or sticky that suggests all the components you will need to buy in addition to the Silvio frame kit?

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
1, 2, 3) This is confusing. 

1, 2, 3) This is confusing. The "2.1" says "2.0" but in red. I believe there are small differences, but I don't know if they actually bumped up the version number.

4) MBB - Moving bottom bracket. When you turn the handlebars, the bottom bracket (attached to the crank) moves from side to side. This is unlike most RWD and some FBB FWD (fixed bottom bracket) bikes.

(Like this:
mYuzANfK35VQSZZUtNRbWzg.jpg height:132px; width:225px
)

5) If you buy a set of wheels and a drive train (which you can do when you order the frame set), then you've pretty much got everything.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
You might also note the 2.0

You might note the 2.0 photos is with the non-stock chain stay extensions added. A small detail but IMO makes a noticeable change to the bikes overall appearance.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Other 2.1 one differences

2.1 has been the unofficial name we've been calling it in the forums here. I can't remember if John and company declared it to be 2.1

Other Changes:

1) The boom has braze-on nuts for hanging a water bottle.
2) Because of (1) The shortest boom insertion is now 85-87mm it is likely that if you are under 5'11" with average leg to torrso dimensions you will have to cut your boom.
3) There are now two scissors jacks to mount the head rest.
4) There is now a metal plate over the tail end of the frame where the headrest inserts
5) A number of minor manufacturing/packaging issues have been clean up. (Or at least nobody is reporting them anymore)

We just built 2 version 2.1's the only remaining trouble spots were:

a) Fixing the velcro position which was minor. Might be better if that just wasn't factory installed on the seat pan.
b) filing down the extra epoxy on the seat pan joints. Very minor
c) Filing the holes in the carbon arms to fit them to the aluminum frame, doubt that can be address for small run manufacturing.

Those that have gone before us have definitely help make it better by giving feedback; and it's great to see that feedback being acted on.

All and all the remaining issue add about 60 minutes to the assembly process if you take your time. Perfectly acceptable for a frame kit bike.

As an aside I want to continue to compliment such a small company for taking the feedback as "we love the bike please make it even better" as opposed to "you messed up dummy". It's hard sometimes to separate your self from your cherished product and I think Cruzbike continues to demonstrate the ability to walk that line between we are right; and we can be better. The hydro forms models and the tweaking to make them easier to build shows a commitment that's missing from many firms. Most of us prefer they spend the time on the bikes and it's not surprising the website might lag behind a bit.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
What you need for the build

As a separate note; in my build diary over at BROL I included a full bill of materials and costs to build up the bikes. I did that to help people figure out their total costs. The template can be used to substitute in your own parts and will give you a complete inventory of the part you might forget and the tools you'd need to acquire to do the build.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Silvio 2.0 refers to the

Silvio 2.0 refers to the hydroformed current version. 2 was the first run, 2.1 is the second run and has the minor updates ratz kindly itemised. Refering to production runs is important for customer service, but they are all Silvio 2 - Or Silvio 2.0 as declared by the artistic licence on the new decal. I'm not changing decals for every tweak.